Canadians pay hefty $684B bill in business subsidies over 30 years, study shows

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Managed to get it to work by deleting half the linlk
That site is about as biased as his opinion of the NRA!

And did it link to a Govt program on how to obtain subsidies or was it tax credits again?

Nope. No subsidies just "money for nothing tax breaks" yet again.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And did it link to a Govt program on how to obtain subsidies or was it tax credits again?

Nope. No subsidies just "money for nothing tax breaks" yet again.
Nope.....couldn't find that link.... but when I googled the "managing director" and a couple of their ""Experts""
Snowflakes is a mild term to define them.......

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
He sorts bottles at the recycling center as long as the grant money keeps coming in.

You guys should get together and straighten out your stories. People are getting confused. Am I on pogey? Am I a recycler? A turd herder? Maybe all of the above?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nope.....couldn't find that link.... but when I googled the "managing director" and a couple of their ""Experts""
Snowflakes is a mild term to define them.......

The liberal alt-left hates being called snowflakes. They're very fragile you see.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
And a Putz.

Yes. That's why you're so salty. Somebody you call a putz schools you on tax credits, farming, highway traffic act, immigration and practically every other issue discussed here. I'd feel embarrassed as well if I were you

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I remember those good old days when Air Canada (once TCA), the CNR, Petro Canada and a whole bunch of companies like DeHaviland were kept afloat by the Feds and most of them were losers, at the time. We've haemorraged kingdom's worth of coin since the days of CD Howe (and earlier). There is nothing dramatically different going on.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Yes. That's why you're so salty. Somebody you call a putz schools you on tax credits, farming, highway traffic act, immigration and practically every other issue discussed here. I'd feel embarrassed as well if I were you

I'm not too salty. I'm more into spicy and savoury.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Got something against foreigners?

Yes I do. Currently foreign-owned companies own over 20% of the Canadian economy. This includes most resources extraction companies. This not only sucks an enormous amount of cash out of the country each year, but means that Canada's resources are essentially controlled by companies that have little or no interest in Canada's future. It also makes it difficult for domestic companies to compete against much larger foreign companies. As an example can you name a single Canadian owned fast food company? Most of them have either been driven out of business by foreign owned companies or bought up by them.

I remember those good old days when Air Canada (once TCA), the CNR, Petro Canada and a whole bunch of companies like DeHaviland were kept afloat by the Feds and most of them were losers, at the time. We've haemorraged kingdom's worth of coin since the days of CD Howe (and earlier). There is nothing dramatically different going on.

The same thing happened to similar companies in other nations. The difference is that many of those tech companies were kept alive by large government contracts. As for Petro-Canada it was and is a profitable company. And just in case you are interested there are lots of government owned domestic airlines and Air Canada made a profit last year.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did you find a link to a Canadian Gov funded oil subsidy yet?

Did you know Canadian mining companies control 55% of global mineral extraction?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Yes I do. Currently foreign-owned companies own over 20% of the Canadian economy. This includes most resources extraction companies. This not only sucks an enormous amount of cash out of the country each year, but means that Canada's resources are essentially controlled by companies that have little or no interest in Canada's future. It also makes it difficult for domestic companies to compete against much larger foreign companies. As an example can you name a single Canadian owned fast food company? Most of them have either been driven out of business by foreign owned companies or bought up by them.

The same thing happened to similar companies in other nations. The difference is that many of those tech companies were kept alive by large government contracts. As for Petro-Canada it was and is a profitable company. And just in case you are interested there are lots of government owned domestic airlines and Air Canada made a profit last year.

Why make a distinction between the nationalities of the businesses involved? It would seem that nationalism is the last acceptable prejudice today.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Did you know Canadian mining companies control 55% of global mineral extraction?

OOPSIES. ..57%

57% of the world’s public mining companies are listed on the TSX and TSX-Venture Exchanges. Together, the two exchanges accounted for 53% of the equity capital raised globally for mining in 2015, totalling $6.8 billion.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Did you know I don't care? Here is a list of foreign owned companies in Canada. As I said - it is over 20%, which is the largest amount of foreign ownership in any advanced nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_ownership_of_companies_of_Canada

Why make a distinction between the nationalities of the businesses involved? It would seem that nationalism is the last acceptable prejudice today.

Economic nationalism makes sense. Most nations like to be able to control their own economies. Those that can't can easily be manipulated by foreign interests. In addition, as I pointed out, too much foreign ownership can create a balance of payments problem.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'd rather see the money going to Canadian businesses instead of being shipped off to some third world crap-hole where we'll never see it again while providing zero benefit to Canada.

What a stupid comment.

Obviously there's no evidence to show that all of 'the money' would be 'shipped off to third world countries'.

I'm not surprised you got 4 idiots from here to fall for it.