Canadian Stadiums

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Canadian Stadiums

Tom Green Fan said:
Thanks for the links man. Both of those stadiums look amazing, and suit Canada's climate perfect, looks like a very comfortable stadium, both of em.

They don't look like they hold 55,000+ tho.

Yes Canada is not in the contention for largest stadium. Its hockey here, and there isent a hockey stadium in the world that houses more than 30 000 people.....football, well that what those 60 000 seat stadiums are for, but the CFL is no where near a large and the NFL in America. There are some American racing events that come up here every year which are pretty large, I dont know how many people....100 000??? NBA games only fill around 20 000 seats in North America....hmmm what else to we got...sry im not going to include gay sports like criket or soccer :lol: ....we suck at em anyways....... I guess baseball in Toronto is jsut as big as football

dang I would love to see some NASCAR up in Canada, now that is one hell of an experience.....250 000 people at the racetrack is amazing.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: RE: Canadian Stadiums

http://www.rogerscentre.com/aboutrogerscentre/funfacts/ - Skydome aka Rogers Ctr.
It has a retractable roof. A combination indoor/outdoor, depending on the weather. Weather in Canada can be absolutely gorgeous or downright dreadful. Nice to have the choice, as they do in Toronto. I prefer to see the sun if at all possible.

It appears Skydome uses artificial turf. BC Place uses secondhand Skydome turf. I think Edmonton is natural. http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=148897

Tom Green Fan said:
Some of those stadiums would have cost zillions!

I can't believe such a big stadium can be indoor!

Are these indoor stadiums astro-turf or normal grass?

mtlspartacus

Sep 25, 2009
Official Top Canadian Stadiums

Can anyone tell me wat the biggest stadium in Canada is please (and wat city it's in)? Cheers

1. Montreal's Olympic Stadium is Canada's largest and ranks 116th in the world. It holds officially 66,308 places.

2. BC Place Stadium is 2nd in Canada and 149th in the world with 60,518 places.

3. Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium holds Canada's 3rd place and 154th in the world with 60,081 places.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Mosaic Stadium

Mosaic Stadium in Regina, Saskatchewan has a total capacity of 30,945. However, it has one big advantage over many of the larger stadiums, it has sell-out crowds. The entire 2009 season saw sell-out crowds for every single game from what I gathered in all the pre-game hype.

TSN has no problem showing the entire stadium at Taylor Field. Mosaic is wall-to-wall people. When it comes to showing the stadiums in BC or TO, for example, they tend to keep the camera on-field as much as possible. The odd time a glimpse of the stands is shown, the reason for this is clear - the stands are nearly empty. The fans that are in attendance seem swallowed up by the immense building around them.

Montreal opted to play outdoors in a much smaller college stadium this year. They filled the stands too, game after game.

Saskatchewan is in the midst of a debate on whether or not to expand and/or replace Mosaic, possibly with a dome. I think this would be a mistake of huge porportions, especially concerning the dome. I understand the need to enlarge the seating capacity but, a way must be found to do so without changing the character that is now present at Mosaic/Taylor Field. The history of the Saskatchewan RoughRider's is written on the sod of that field.

Were I Brad Wall, I would take a very careful look at the stats for the big stadiums. How much revenue do they bring in during the games? How many people attend on a regular/seasonal basis? Will the combined CFL season and off-season events bring in enough cash to cover the massive expense of a dome. Mind you, were I Brad Wall, I would hold a referendum on the matter.

The people of Saskatchewan - the Rider Nation, whose support has put wings beneath the arms of quarterbacks, and made fleet the feet of receivers, should be the ones who decide the fate of Mosaic Stadium.

But, that's just my opinion. ;-)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Definitely don't build a stadium that's greater than the expected turnout and doesn't make it a hot ticket.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Were I Brad Wall, I would take a very careful look at the stats for the big stadiums. How much revenue do they bring in during the games? How many people attend on a regular/seasonal basis? Will the combined CFL season and off-season events bring in enough cash to cover the massive expense of a dome. Mind you, were I Brad Wall, I would hold a referendum on the matter.

But, that's just my opinion. ;-)

Very good observation and one that has been observed in Montreal.. That is why the Alouettes have been using Percival Molson Memorial Stadium ( McGill Stadium 20,202 seats ) for the past seasons and not the Big O except for playoffs and Grey Cups..

I am not sure if there is still talk of replacing the Big O in Montreal but it was talked about as the place is literally falling apart. The seating is also not the best and needs upgrading to the newer theatre style to give everyone better viewing..

This was the case also here in BC were discussion was ongoing but I believe died on a new soccer stadium..

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Very good observation and one that has been observed in Montreal.. That is why the Alouettes have been using Percival Molson Memorial Stadium ( McGill Stadium 20,202 seats ) for the past seasons and not the Big O except for playoffs and Grey Cups..

I am not sure if there is still talk of replacing the Big O in Montreal but it was talked about as the place is literally falling apart. The seating is also not the best and needs upgrading to the newer theatre style to give everyone better viewing..

This was the case also here in BC were discussion was ongoing but I believe died on a new soccer stadium..

So that is the name of the place, I never managed to catch it whilst watching the games. Tend to tune 'the panel' out at times. I enjoyed watching the Allouettes play in Percival as opposed to the Big O. There was an aura of intimacy that domes lack completely. Watching the players interact with the fans when the latter are closer to the field is fun and I am sure both sides benefit from closer contact.

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
Olympic Stadium's permanent capacity was somewhere around 56,043, and temporary seating can be added. The largest crowd to see a sporting event there was 72,358 for a soccer match in the late seventies. Commonwealth seats approximately 60,217; a record crowd of 62,517 attended a Calgary-Edmonton game earlier this year. BC Place seats 59,841; largest crowd was for a Vancouver Whitecaps game in the mid 1980s - 60,342. Skydome (I refuse to call it Rogers Centre) seats approximately 52,500 for Canadian football; the largest crowd to watch a sporting event there was an NFL exhibition game in the early 1990s - 55,799 with temporary seating added in one endzone.