Canadian Soilders Feeling Lack of Support at Home

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#juan said:
This puts one in mind of "yer with us or yer with the terrorists" . There are hundreds of reasonable positions between the two ends of that statement.

This should be discussed in parliament. Harper doesn't really have the clout to invoke closure. Wars don't always go the way you want them to. If we get a rash of body bags and Harper refuses to discuss it, Harper's government might not get a lot older.

Funny how the Liberals, who put us in Afghanistan in these numbers and in this place, suddenly want a debate on the matter, isn't it?

I don't have a problem with the question being debated in any form in the house, as long as it doesn't come to a vote. An exchange of opinions is fine, but military matters can not be left at the mercy of the day-to-day whim of the politicians in the House.

If things go bad, and Harper et. al. get thrown out over it, fair enough.

Not right, but fair.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
#juan said:
Jay wrote:
It is my discovery that "hippie" isn't near as effective as liberal...Just so you know!

I mean though...really...you see...hippies eventually did grow up and get jobs.

What's this? Newspeak? Liberals cover a wide spectrum from center left to center right. Liberals also represent a large segment of the population. Why is it that right wingers feel compelled to name calling and putting labels on people who don't have quite the same opinion as they do? I wasn't happy with the last liberal governments but by the same token I wasn't happy with Mulroney either and nor was most of Canada.

See Mogz, it works brilliantly!

If Liberals don't like to be called liberals they should consider renaming the party, or acting more respectably like conservative do. :lol: (well at least respectively like us younger conservatives do)…but their going to have to do something about it if they don’t like the stigma the label carries.

But as you said it, Liberals cover a wide side of the fence and it allows me to paint with a wide brush. It’s the perfect word! But as for the name calling etc...did you see those Liberal ads in the last election? :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Colpy said:
#juan said:
This puts one in mind of "yer with us or yer with the terrorists" . There are hundreds of reasonable positions between the two ends of that statement.

This should be discussed in parliament. Harper doesn't really have the clout to invoke closure. Wars don't always go the way you want them to. If we get a rash of body bags and Harper refuses to discuss it, Harper's government might not get a lot older.

Funny how the Liberals, who put us in Afghanistan in these numbers and in this place, suddenly want a debate on the matter, isn't it?

Accually no it isn't funny...it's typical. What's funny is self-respecting people like Five Paradox can't see it for what it is. But hey, I see humour in places others don't.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I think the biggests mistake here is to assume our troops are whining. They're not. They're concerned that no one supports their efforts and eventually Afghanistan will be shut down early, a disasterous notion. Imagine being in Afghanistan in the middle of the desert, sweating your sack off, working 14 hour shifts, piling sandbags, radio watch, OP, IP, LP, then trying to sleep at night while bugs eat away at you and you bask in your own sweat. Sounds awful doesn't it? Now couple that with the idea that your own Countrymen don't support you or the mission you're on. Many call for a debate on an operation that has been ongoing for 5 years. Imagine how that would make you feel. There you are living in a shithole while the people all comfy back in Canada, who have no concept of what you're doing, are selling you and the mission short. It was done to the troops who fought in Vietnam, please don't let it happen to the troops risking their lives in Afghanistan.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Canadian Soilders Fee

Whats really funny is Canadian Republicans shiting on the other Canadian partys and calling themselves Conservatives. The Conservatives were wiped out right down to two members.This party that now calls itself Conservative formerly called themselves the CRAP party of Canada and that is what they actually are crap.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Gee, where would conservatives be if they were what Liberal told them to be?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I think there is a real sense of trust when good friends can be at opposite ends of the spectrum and still talk amongst themselves about these issues. The important part is probably maintaining that respect for each other. By doing so, everybody can yell about the issues but not about each other. That's what makes a good forum a great forum, adhering to that fine line.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Re: RE: Canadian Soilders Feeling Lack of Support at Home

Mogz said:
I think the biggests mistake here is to assume our troops are whining. They're not. They're concerned that no one supports their efforts and eventually Afghanistan will be shut down early, a disasterous notion. Imagine being in Afghanistan in the middle of the desert, sweating your sack off, working 14 hour shifts, piling sandbags, radio watch, OP, IP, LP, then trying to sleep at night while bugs eat away at you and you bask in your own sweat. Sounds awful doesn't it? Now couple that with the idea that your own Countrymen don't support you or the mission you're on. Many call for a debate on an operation that has been ongoing for 5 years. Imagine how that would make you feel. There you are living in a shithole while the people all comfy back in Canada, who have no concept of what you're doing, are selling you and the mission short. It was done to the troops who fought in Vietnam, please don't let it happen to the troops risking their lives in Afghanistan.

This is nothing like what was done to soldiers from Vietnam IMO. I've not heard anyone call a soldier a babykiller lately. You're right, it may not be soldiers whining, it could just be people in Canada.

Again I support the mission in Afghanistan despite being pretty left on the political spectrum at times, but I have a hard time hearing "Imagine how the soldiers feel when they're in that terrible place and you're in Canada" (meaning, "I'm going to try to make you feel guilty until you stop saying anything I disagree with"). That isn't a logical argument in favor of the mission. We all chose our jobs. I'm sure soldiers know that peacekeeping missions and wars will always come with some people who support them and some who don't. If they are worried that the mission will be shut down prematurely, then argue why that's a bad thing. I respect that a lot more than whiny stupid liberals rants which do nothing to refute their argument.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I am tired of people complaining about this.

To Hank C, I am one of those NDP supporters you talk about, but I am in the military.

Now, people who say they want a debate it will decrease troop morale.

People who want to stop a debate ,the public isn't going to get educated unless something is done to explain the mission, therefore, a debate.

However, I don't really care if a debate happens or not, its frustrating, in U.N missions when soldiers die no one complains, for example I believe Mogz said 17 Canadians died in a 10-month window.

But here 12 people die in 5 years and people wantto debate, the ship has sailed.

Its said it really is.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Jersay said:
I am tired of people complaining about this.

To Hank C, I am one of those NDP supporters you talk about, but I am in the military.

Now, people who say they want a debate it will decrease troop morale.

People who want to stop a debate ,the public isn't going to get educated unless something is done to explain the mission, therefore, a debate.

However, I don't really care if a debate happens or not, its frustrating, in U.N missions when soldiers die no one complains, for example I believe Mogz said 17 Canadians died in a 10-month window.

But here 12 people die in 5 years and people wantto debate, the ship has sailed.

Its said it really is.
Where was the calls to cut and run from the former Yugoslavia when Canadian Soldiers were dying? It was no where because Bill Clinton was President and the Mission in the former Yugloslavia was a UN Mission.

These calls for cutting and running from Afghanistan has nothing to do with the Mission itself it's all about hating Bush, blaming him and the United States for Canada being in Afghanistan and the fact the Mission isn't a UN Mission.

Canada is not there because of the United States or Oil it's there because Canada is a proud member of Nato and is living up to it's responsibilities of being that member rather then sitting on the sidelines.