Canadian Idioms

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Re: RE: Canadian Idioms

Twila said:
I think Americans call a pogo dog, a Corndog. Both are equally unpaletable

NO, no!!!! We don't call it a corn dog. It's a corny dog and very popular. My mother used to say that she could eat a full meal and always have room for a corny dog. Fletcher's is the originator around here - and the best.

Uncle

razzie27

Jun 8, 2006
1. hoser: Hoser is both a slang term and a stereotype, either a loser, or the type of people youèd find out in... Saskatchewan.
2. hoodie: A sweatter with a hod on it.
3. chinook: a wind of foehn type blowing on the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains
4. eh : Pronounced "a" as in "say" a very popular term which means "don't you agree?"
5. hydro - A facility that produces electric energy by releasing water from a reservoir through generators.
6. loonie: Popular name for the Canadian loon dollar coin
7. pissed - it means angry to us: it also means angry to us... But also can mean very drunk
8. runners: Runnign shoes.
9. Tim Horton: A chain of coffee houses that was named after a hockey player.
10. pogo dog: Corn dog.

Liliput

Oct 3, 2006
I's a Bluenoser, Baby!
1. hoser - in short it means idiot.
2. hoodie - A sweatshirt with a hood, hooded sweatshirt
3. chinook - a warm wind during the winter. local to the prairie provinces, it tends to melt their snow in the middle of january, but the white stuff always comes back
4. eh - undefinable...it just is *grins* If you can ever find a program called "Talking canadian" it will help you with the definition... plus its dead funny.
5. hydro - this is a prefix to us, like hydromulch - hydro is short for hydropower.
6. loonie - a coin worth $1cnd, the twoonie coin is worth $2cnd. We don't have $1 & $2 bills anymore.
7. pissed - it means angry to us. It can mean both angry and very drunk.
8. runners - sneakers
9. Tim Horton - an extremely popular coffee/donut shop in Canada, if someone say's to you "Wanna go to Tim's?" They mean tim horton's coffee shop not their buddy Tim. Its weird, but we are a nation addicted to Tim's. Our armed forces in Afghanistan even have a mobile Tim's truck over there. Americans bleed red, white & blue ... we bleed a beige coloured liquid of the double-double [thats two creams, two sugars in Tim-speak]
10. pogo dog - got me, never heard of it... maybe its a west coast thing *shrugs*

Thanks. - No problem, eh

bita_khosh

May 16, 2007
what is the meaning of these idioms?
to be empty handed
at one's fingertips
to have a finger in the pie
to have sticky fingers
to have butter fingers
to have someone in hand
wrapped around someone's finger
to twiddle one's thumbs
to try one's hand at something

bita_khosh

May 16, 2007
to be empty handed
at one's fingertips
to have a finger in the pie
to have sticky fingers
to have butter fingers
to have someone in hand
wrapped around someone's finger
to twiddle one's thumbs

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
to be empty handed - to not have anything; ie, you're hands are empty, you're not carrying anything
at one's fingertips - near. As in, I don't have that book at my fingertips; but I'll go get it
to have a finger in the pie - to be involved in something.
to have sticky fingers - to be a Rolling Stones fan
to have butter fingers - to be clumsy, as in you drop things because your fingers are slippery
to have someone in hand - to masturbate a close friend
wrapped around someone's finger - to be under the control of someone.
to twiddle one's thumbs - teenage sex in a car
to try one's hand at something - to try to do something

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Maybe It's A Generation Thing!!!!!

To have sticky fingers.........Thief
To have someone in hand........To have someone under close control........or........what you said Ten:lol::lol::lol:
Twiddle one's thumbs........Clasp your hands together then rotate your thumbs, one around another......usually means to dog it, to be procrastinating.................or.........what you said Ten????:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Next time someone tells me they're going to take me in hand, I won't know whether to fight, run, or unzip...........8O:lol::lol::lol:........too funny.

;-)EarlymorninchucklinUgg.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
1. hoser - Beer drinker...What do you do when you drink a lot of beer? Hose it into the urinal...
2. hoodie - Punk wearing a sweatshirt with a hood
3. chinook - Warm wind....Common in Calgary
4. eh - affirmation or confirmation syllable like "Huh"
5. hydro - this is a prefix to us, like hydromulch - Generally means electrical power company, or electrical power.
6. loonie - dollar coin....could also mean a bit crazy
7. pissed - it means angry to us - means the same to us
8. runners - parts of a sleigh that slide on the snow
9. Tim Horton - Hocket player, defensman, Toronto Maple Leafs...Was part owner of coffee shop chain
10. pogo dog - Beats the hell out of me.

EA Casey

Nov 8, 2010
Hoser- very Candian, hockey related. A hoser originates from the time before Zamboni's (ice cleaning vehicles). The losing team in the game would have to hose down and scrape the ice after the game, thus becoming a hoser..

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Eh is a standard word I have heard it used by the working folks and the upper crust if you
will, also. Its a nice day eh (A) There are all kinds of them from different regions of this
country. Go to Cape Breton for example, now there is a language you could have some
trouble with. I swear my cousins got rid of the letter O and replaced it with an accent
of its own. I was born there and I don't have the accent anymore but give me an hour with
close relatives and you wouldn't know it. It is a regional and historic accented language.
It is sometimes Gaelic, native, Bostonian, and French influences. Combine that with a
little Newfoundland accent and stir it up. Its like eating bits and bites the inflections are
different depending on who you are talking to. The problem is you notice it and they don't
because the are speaking it all the time. The other wonderful thing about Newfoundland
and Capers, is they talk really fast so you have to listen. You are interpreting sentence
one and they are on sentence five. Now I know some will say no way, but you have to go
there. Its steeped in history, natural beauty and the finest people you ever would want to
meet. They would give you the shirt off their back.
In the west it is entirely different.

PEI Red

Time Out
Jan 2, 2016
to be empty handed = not have brought anything with you, particularly to a party or place where gift is usually expected
at one's fingertips = an article or thought that is easily accessible
to have a finger in the pie = to be involved in something (usually used with in a negative connotation)
to have sticky fingers = the steal, shoplift
to have butter fingers = to be clumsy or drop things easily
to have someone in hand = to have control over someone, "can't you get your child in hand?"
wrapped around someone's finger = to have the subject fully enthralled and ready to do whatever you wish
to twiddle one's thumbs = sit around doing nothing
= to try something, usually for the first time

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
This one ispure Nova Scotian:"It'your l
arge day t'day"

No we don't. That is an American exaggeration on a minor difference in pronunciation that most people can't hear. What we do hear is Americans pronouncing "roof" like "ruff."

Is worse that that. We pronounce " roof" the same way that we pronounce ever other word with "oo" in the middle of it. The Americans pronounce " roof" as "ruff" which makes zero sense. Where is their pruff? Do they go out to the restaurant to eat fud? Do they to the dentist to get a tuth filled? Is there a Western movie named "High Nun"? Comin'home sun, honey!

The Americans go on and on about "aboot" ... something that no Canadian would ever say, then pronounce the word something like "abayout" all the while adding a letter ... like in "Warshington" Mosurrah, ...
P