Canadian GDP outlook cut again to 1.2% with 3 provinces in recession

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Petrobot: ARE U HIGH. FIX YOUR PROVINCE BEEP BLEEP

Canadian GDP outlook slashed to 1.2% with 3 provinces in recession

Economists continue to scale back their forecasts for Canadian growth this year, with both TD Economics and RBC Capital Markets saying the economy will expand by just 1.2 per cent and three provinces will remain in recession.

Alberta is taking a hard hit because of low oil prices, with RBC forecasting a 1.3 per cent contraction in the provincial economy in 2015. Newfoundland and Labrador could shrink by three per cent and Saskatchewan's economy is also expected to contract.

TD slashed its 2015 forecast for Canadian GDP growth by 0.4 percentage points to 1.2 per cent and its 2016 prediction by 0.3 percentage points to about two per cent.

RBC is slightly more bullish on 2016, saying the economy could grow 2.2 per cent.

But there are plenty of risks hanging over those forecasts, with global growth uncertain and commodity prices volatile.

China is a key driver of global prices, especially for metals, an important Canadian export. Its slowdown could cast a shadow over export performance, which TD predicts will lead to growth in the last half of the year. And unpredictable oil prices mean there's no sure way of projecting numbers into the coming year.

..more....

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/gdp-outlook-1.3238659

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Most of them economist are economy models. If you ignor the swinging risks, more obvious than the hanging risks, things only look bad, if you're realistic and use a proper gauge in stead of a federal ouija board or darts things look bleak, forbodeing, frigtening, catastrophic, horrific and deadly. I don't think they're looking in the same direction.

Economies oscillate erratically. Big deal.

Yeah but these are big erratic oscilations. It's a bad deal.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, if flossy expects me to drop everything, don an anxious look on my face, and start pulling my hair out, I have news for him.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Well, if flossy expects me to drop everything, don an anxious look on my face, and start pulling my hair out, I have news for him.

know where he can get a fainting couch on the cheap?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Annebot: I don't care yet I am compelled to respond to every post. *pinky finger lift*

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How is Ontario not in a recession? Our Dark Overlord has pretty much choked all the life out of this province with her policies.
The accepted definition is two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth.

Unless you mean the special, I-hate-Ontario definition, in which case Ontario is in a recession, always has been, and always will be.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Turdoh lied. Turns out Canada did not have a recession in 2015 despite what Turdoh was campaigning on.