Canadian dollar drops more than half a cent as oil trades below US$39 a barrel

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
That SHOULD lower the price of oil even more if that reduces the distribution costs.

You would think that it would lower supply but the truth is that it would just make the oil glut larger and amplify the problem.

Pipelines are a bad idea right now.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
There are fewer rail incidents even if they are worse than pipeline.

But that also has nothing to do with actually keeping supply lower, which is what we want to do to generally reduce carbon emissions.

The goal is to gradually bring it down until we have a sustainable low carbon economy in 2100.

The earlier we start, the easier the transition is.

It's tough medicine.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

But that also has nothing to do with actually keeping supply lower, which is what we want to do to generally reduce carbon emissions.

The goal is to gradually bring it down until we have a sustainable low carbon economy in 2100.

It's tough medicine.
You're daft.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Pipeline Incident Stats over 12+years
The documents reveal details about more than 1,000 incidents that have happened across the country from 2000 until late 2012.
An incident can include anything from a fire or explosion to a spill, leak or a worker fatally or seriously injured.

Pipeline safety incidents - Interactive - CBC.ca
--------------------------------------

Rail Incident Stats over 1 Year

In 2013, 1,067 rail accidentsFootnote 1 were reported to the TSB (Figure 1), a 4% increase from the 2012 total of 1,027 but comparable to the five-year average (2008-2012) of 1,070.
Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Statistical Summary - Railway Occurrences 2013

It's tough medicine.

I won't be around in 2100

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Why do you have to be around for a decision like this to matter to you?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I believe that the base premise of global warming, climate change, et al is deeply flawed.

That said, whether I am around or not, there will be no tangible differences made based on the initially flawed premise

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes, well we know you are wrong, but putting that aside.

The question now, is which carbon pricing scheme is best for you. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Dat petros dollar at work again.

Isn't it great that we continued to subsidize this failing industry and made our entire economy dependent on it?

TORONTO - The Canadian dollar was down more than half a U.S. cent Monday morning as crude oil futures traded below US$39 a barrel.

It will all be up again in the morning...............................or the next day!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Yes, well we know you are wrong, but putting that aside.

The question now, is which carbon pricing scheme is best for you. :)

You're a hoot brother... Whenever you have no response, the predictable action is to redirect the discussion into what you think is your comfort zone.

... Here's something for you to think on a bit: Now that there is this magical surplus of oil and prices are low; exactly where is the motivation to find any alternative energy source, let alone the excuse to pay a premium for them?

Ironic, ain't it?.. The very situation that you yearn to believe is helping your cause is, in reality, setting your lobby back decades.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Here's something for you to think on a bit: Now that there is this magical surplus of oil and prices are low; exactly where is the motivation to find any alternative energy source, let alone the excuse to pay a premium for them?

Are you joking?

Low oil prices is only an incentive for importers to hold back.

For oil exporters it's an incentive to broaden their energy sector because there is little profit when oil is a measley $39 per barrel.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Are you joking?

Low oil prices is only an incentive for importers to hold back.

For oil exporters it's an incentive to broaden their energy sector because there is little profit when oil is a measley $39 per barrel.

Imports of goods will go through the roof... Really cheap to send cargo ships of all kinds of things across the ocean.

As for the energy sector, the shortfall in prices will be made up by the higher volume of cars gassing-up weekly to go and buy those cheap goods.

You really need to think these things through bud