Canada's shame - The truth is coming out and what we did as a country is disgusting.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Good thing those numbers don't include all the deaths from diseases like pox, TB, polio, measles, a cold, dysentery, ecoli, giardia or an infection from a skinned knee or things would look even worse.

You be hard pressed to find a white family that didn't lose a child during that era.

How much? $34,000 in ar$e money which was already paid out.

Though I'm sure it includes encouraging non-TB children to play with the TB ones in spite of the fact that they knew even at that time what the result would be.

Consider the book 'A Story of a National Crime', written byDr. Peter Bryce, and published - wait for it - ...

... in 1922!

Full text of "The story of a national crime : being an appeal for justice to the Indians of Canada ; the wards of the nation, our allies in the Revolutionary War, our brothers-in-arms in the Great War"

He clarifies that even then the death rate was much higher than among the white population, that government departments were informed and warned but chose to ignore it. He clarifies that abuses were rampant and even punishments were far worse than the accepted standards of the time.

How is it that he knew that in 1922 but some people still deny it today?

Add to that that a title like 'A Soty of a National Crime' is pretty poignant. His conclusions were pretty obvious from the title itself.

No no no... everything is the Catholics fault.

Not entirely true. Institutionall, there were 5 parties involved:

The Government of Canada and the Catholic, Anglican, Presbiterian, and United Churches.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
No fu cking shyte exlax. :roll:

I was just correcting your previous comment. I know you meant it sarcastically, but some on the forum who are not aware might have not read the intended sarcasm.

Also, I apologize if I cause you diarrhea, Gerryh.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I was just correcting your previous comment. I know you meant it sarcastically, but some on the forum who are not aware might have not read the intended sarcasm.

well what a nice guy. :roll:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
But didn't you just love those sadistic penguins?
yes...love that's what it was all about....and we became super adept at hearing when they were arriving...they were so cat-paw silent walking on their thick padded shoes.... except the click, click, click of the swaying beads they wore with jesus hanging from a cross at the end of it all as they made their way down the hall toward you. Stark terror. Fukers.

Sounds like the Protestant run school my old man attended. Discipline was universal when it came to school back in the day.
Absolutely... it was a harder, harsher, meaner world. In a way that's what made some days wonderful. Kids stuck together because adults were the enemy. Not always but there was a feeling often of them versus us.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sounds like the Protestant run school my old man attended. Discipline was universal when it came to school back in the day.
They were up to their necks in blood so it wasn't just the RCC. A sinilar event that is also buried as deeply as possible and the Clergy is not all that involved so you can see why there is a reluctance on the part of the Govt to go after the Priests who would then turn into witnesses against the Govt's part in the abuses.
Conspiracy Of Silence (The Franklin Scandal) - YouTube

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We all know that many bad things happened in the residential schools. Actually it was a form of genocide. But all this happened before most of us were old enough to even know about it much less have any say in it. It is time to move on as this commission is becoming nothing more than a job creation project for a bunch of bureaucrats. The money could be better spent on education in remote villages.

The strategy of the one worlders has always been to besmirch and remind the nations with and of their historical genocidal histories. The strategy originates with the zionists who first used it against their host nations (Germany) and now use it to justify their mistreatment of the Palestinians frequently citing the American genocide and the concentration camps of native Americans. As if guilt having plenty of similar company were some forgiving justification. If one looks into the various human rights groups you will find them thick with zionists operatives. Keeps us trying to correct historical wrongs rather than contemporary injustice. Apologies to the dead are ineffectual.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The strategy of the one worlders has always been to besmirch and remind the nations with and of their historical genocidal histories.
The best way to store history in the digital age is in digital form As such the First Nations of the Americas and northern Russia and China could use game-play to record the way things were without having to rewrite what Ottawa is storing up as their version of history. With the plots coming from tales only the elderly know it would be a hands on by the ones whose history it is and they get all the profits if it is something that captures the interest of the public that has extra money.

I still like the idea of legal smoke-houses where tourists can become a tribe member on weekends for a few dollars and a release from his doctor.

Cliffy could be the script editor for how the torture schools were.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A terrible event to be sure and one that can/should be dealt with in terms of punishing the responsible parties in addition to compensating the victims.

That said, your original post that referenced this strongly alluded to all the attendees of the residential school program rather than a specific group in Mb.

... And this is related to my primary point; no one is arguing that abuses didn't happen, but it appears that the extremes are extrapolated to the entire population and then considered as fact.

Not from me - I did not imply all the children. The constant stream of information regarding the treatment, and I am sure more will surface,makes me ask how it could go on for so long.Shameful to say the least.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I truly enjoy the stupidity, the prejudice and the outright malice on the parts of the "Rednecks" on this forum. The actually appear to believe that being "White" entitles you to do whatever you want, and that somehow a lack of Melanin makes you superior to all others. They truly believe that being a "White" high school dropout, with no job, makes you superior to a Red/Black/Yellow person with advanced degrees.

They also have virtually no knowledge of their own country's history.

The simple facts are that the British made a LOT of treaties, with people that THEY anointed as "Chief's" of various tribes/band of Natives. They made ridiculous "offers" for all land titles. Most Natives did not even comprehend the concept of OWNING the Earth. The Earth was there to provide for all, and no person could "own" it. But, the government then took all of that land, and effectively barred the Native peoples from even being on it.

The British, and their successors the Canadian government, did not make any real attempt to follow through on the treaties that they had forced on the Natives.

But, why the heck should the Natives feel slighted, Canada also refuses to live up to the Treaties that ended the American Revolution and the War of 1812.

The government of Canada had a very deliberate policy of extinguishing Native culture, and forcing "assimilation". They frankly did not give a damn if they killed the Natives in the process. And sadly, much opf that attitude still exists.

The Native peoples had much of their culture destroyed. They had the land stolen from them. They were denied the right to speak their own languages. Their children were kidnapped, and forced into "White" residential schools.

And then the "rednecks" wonder why so many Natives have significant problems in this society?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A Nunavut judge has found a former Roman Catholic priest guilty of 24 of the more than 70 sex-related charges he faced involving Inuit children more than 30 years ago.

Defrocked Oblate priest Eric Dejaeger had already pleaded guilty to eight counts of sexual assault when his trial began in December.
In his written decision, Justice Robert Kilpatrick noted that the time that had passed between when the assaults were alleged to have happened and the trial weakened the case.

“Judges and juries do not possess divine insight into the soul of witnesses who testify in a legal proceeding. Decisions must be made on the basis of evidence alone, not intuition or guesswork,” Kilpatrick wrote.

The trial was marked by high emotion and lurid tales.

Witness after witness told court that Dejaeger used his position as Igloolik’s missionary to lure and trap them into sex, threatening them with hellfire or separation from their families if they told.

One thing that neither side questioned was the emotional pitch of the trial. It was common to hear witnesses howling and weeping outside court after their testimony.

Prosecutor Doug Curliss argued that enough common themes emerged from the testimony that the stories from the victims held together.

He said the accusations were similar to those Dejaeger pleaded guilty to in Baker Lake, Nunavut, where he was sent after leaving Igloolik. Dejaeger eventually served a five-year sentence on those charges.

The 67-year-old priest was initially slated to face his accusers from Igloolik in 1995, but instead left Canada for his Belgian homeland. Oblate officials have said that Canadian justice officials turned a blind eye to his leaving the country.

He was eventually returned to Canada when Belgian officials realized he was living in that country illegally.

Defrocked Catholic priest Eric Dejaeger found guilty of 24 sex charges involving Inuit children | National Post