Canada’s Only True Desert

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
In the link it also mentions Della falls as not being the highest falls. There are others that are higher, I've been to a couple on the coast that are probably higher that are not mentioned. Seems it depends on just how you want to measure. Total height or highest freefall with no interruptions. So I would guess that desert is also subject to interpretation.

First, lets address the core of the issue. Della Falls stands 1,443 feet tall per the Atlas of Canada. Nearly all of the information we have seen which perpetuates the idea that Della Falls is Canada’s tallest cite the Atlas of Canada as the definitive source. Topographic data from multiple sources – including the Atlas of Canada – has thus far backed up the claimed height of 1,443 feet, so we have little reason to think the height of the falls is anything but (relatively) accurate. What this means then is that, for this claim to be true, there should be no other waterfall in Canada which is taller than Della Falls. The problem, however, is that there are. Lots. We have, at the time of posting, 22 waterfalls inventoried throughout Canada which stand at least 1,444 feet tall, and by the time we have all of our Canadian data posted, chances are that number will increase.

The first argument usually put up against debunking this myth is that Della Falls is a free-leaping waterfall and none of the other waterfalls which are taller than Della Falls are truly free-leaping, and hence shouldn’t count. The biggest problem with this counter-argument is that Della Falls itself is not a free leaping waterfall. In fact, Della Falls could be considered to be a waterfall of three distinct leaps. It isn’t so much a traditional Tiered type waterfall in that there are not distinct pauses in between each of the three vertical portions of the falls, but there are “pauses” of sorts where the creek cascades steeply down bouldery substrate instead of over bedrock – either way, it certainly isn’t free falling. This issue aside, the only truly free-leaping part of the falls is the uppermost 400 feet (approximately) of the drop, below there the creek retains some contact with the bedrock for the remaining descent.

Point 1 marks the very top of the falls, at (approximate) elevation of 1,040m. Point 2 marks the bottom of the initial and most vertical drop of the falls. This point is approximately 460 feet below and 190 feet to the east of the top of the falls. Point 3 marks the top of the second steep part of the falls, where the stream has split into two main channels. Between points 2 and 3, the stream loses another 200 feet in elevation but flows laterally for 200 feet. From Point 3 to Point 4, which represents the bottom of the second steep part of the falls, the stream loses about 530 feet in elevation while flowing laterally for about 460 feet. From Point 4 to Point 5 in Figure 3 the stream flows about 230 feet laterally while losing only about 30 feet in elevation. From Point 5 in the photo (Figure 3) to Point 5 on the map (Figure 2), the final drop of 200 vertical feet in 130 lateral feet takes place. So, once again it looks like Della Falls does indeed fall 1,443 feet, but it does it in a run of over 1,200 feet – an average pitch of about 50 degrees, which can hardly be considered vertical.

Clearly Della isn’t a vertical waterfall and can’t be considered Canada’s tallest based on that criteria. So, for the sake of argument lets address the claim that Della Falls is Canada’s tallest waterfall based on the idea that it is a single non-vertical waterfall of 1,443 feet in height. What we now have to figure out is whether any of these 22 other waterfalls which we already know to be taller than Della Falls based on total height are in fact taller in one non-vertical drop. Many of them are, in fact, multi-step non-vertical waterfalls which don’t meet the critieria right away. Bedard Falls, Bush Mountain Falls and Storey Peak Falls, for example, all flume down the side of their respective mountains – in some places vertically, but mostly in multiple slides or cascades. Others, such as Madden Falls and Michael Falls may drop vertically, but they do so over a series of steps which can’t be considered to be a single drop in even the most liberal of sense.

But whittling down the list, we find three candidates which do appear to legitimately oust Della Falls based on any claim made; Kingcome Valley Falls, Bishop Falls and Cerberus Falls. The unofficially named Kingcome Valley Falls, deep within the coast mountains, drops some 1,700 feet off a nearly sheer bluff. The drainage area is tiny and though it may flow for most of the year, it almost certainly runs dry at some point in the season and even at its best isn’t a waterfall of significant volume. Certainly a taller waterfall, but for some perhaps not considered “significant” enough to be thought of as a legitimate waterfall.

Bishop Falls, found in the Taku River valley about 75km northeast of Juneau, Alaska, is a lofty fall of moderate to high volume (at least during the warmer months). To the best of our knowledge, it hasn’t been measured by any group. Our most conservative estimates place it to be around 1,450 feet in height, which puts it right around the size of Della Falls. However we feel comfortable suggesting its true height may be closer to 1,600 feet when all is said and done. Proving this, however, will necessitates on-site surveying. We should also note that while Bishop Falls is technically classified as a single-drop waterfall, it does have a “step” of sorts about a third of the way down, but this step is of significantly smaller size than those that are present in Della Falls itself, so it should not be looked at as a disqualifier.

Cerberus Falls is found along Icefall Brook at the head of Icefall Canyon in the heart of the Canadian Rockies about 70km north of Golden, British Columbia. We don’t have to second guess this one, because members of the World Waterfall Database surveyed and measured Cerberus Falls with both a laser rangefinder and GPS positioning in August of 2010. We found the falls to stand 1,558 feet tall, possibly more depending on how a secondary stream parallel to the main falls proves to be influence by the source glacier. Not only is this waterfall a full 100 feet taller than Della Falls, but it’s a nearly vertical, single drop of 1,558 feet.

So, in summary, yes Della Falls is as tall as it is claimed to be, but it is not a vertical waterfall so it cannot be considered to be the tallest vertical waterfall in Canada, and if Della Falls is to be considered a single-drop waterfall – which is debatable in itself – it cannot be considered the tallest single-drop waterfall because there are other single-drop waterfalls which are taller. So, ultimately, Della Falls cannot be considered the tallest waterfall in Canada by any metric.

So why then has Della Falls been considered to be the tallest waterfall in Canada for so long? The answer is simply publicity. Della Falls was discovered in 1899 and was romanticized quickly by the tales of early visitors. Strathcona Provincial Park, the first in British Columbia, was established shortly after in 1911 and the notoriety of the falls surely added to the reasons for protecting the area. But on top of that is the fact that the falls lay on crown (government) land, and as a result the government has no doubt publicized information about the falls countless times. This is significant because when quantifiable information – such as the height of mountains or waterfalls – is compiled, government entities are generally viewed as a reliable source. So, if Della Falls was at one time thought to be the tallest waterfall in Canada according to the Canadian government, chances are that information simply propagated outwards from there without anyone thinking to fact check it because its ultimate source was thought to be accurate. What’s funny is that any ordinary person knows just how inefficient and inaccurate any governing body can be. Just goes to show that questions should always be asked, no matter the source of information.

Simiarly, Osoyoos has been romanticized and overhyped (just like Kelowna and the rest of the Okanagan). The documentary mentioned by the poster above is complete bunk and probably put together by some clever marketers trying to drum up tourist business. Have you seen documentaries these days? They suck donkey shlong to the nth degree. Just check out any Micheal Moore documentary. They're so bad that two Canadian leftists who once idolized Moore did an exposé on him after discovering he was a complete fraud. Now that's an example of a good documentary, and it's called Manufacturing Dissent if you're interesting.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If the snow gets blown in is that counted?
Is 5 the number of times a glacier has been up and down that valley?

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Interesting but I will make a bet that the author didn't think to mention a few places north of 60°.

If you would have actually read the link you'd know that the author did mention the north. Osoyoos is more arid than say Tuktoyaktuk or Barrow because temperature is a huge component of aridity.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
But but but there are sand dunes at Oliver/Osoyoos. haha

Erm, California goes through periods of droughts and has done that for quite a while now. Also, vodka is not only made from spuds. Distillers sometimes use grain instead.

If you would have actually read the link you'd know that the author did mention the north. Osoyoos is more arid than say Tuktoyaktuk or Barrow because temperature is a huge component of aridity.
Well, scuse the f'k outta me for just skimming.

Are you sure? I was just checking it out and it appears to average just under 36" of rain a year.
California's Worst Drought Ever Is 1st Taste of Future

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Is 5% humidity 5% or not?

The north never gets down to 10% humidity let alone 5%. More evaporation happens at higher temperatures, which dries the ground out a lot quicker. Relative humidity is relative to temperature, by the way.

Erm, California goes through periods of droughts and has done that for quite a while now. Also, vodka is not only made from spuds. Distillers sometimes use grain instead.

Northern Saskatchwan also has sand dunes, the largest in Canada. Anyway, that article is out of date..

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Where's that graph from?
Out of date by8 months. But whatever, until December last year Calif had its driest drought period since the 9th century. It's still dry as a popcorn fart over there according to a few people that live there.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Where's that graph from?
Out of date by8 months. But whatever, until December last year Calif had its driest drought period since the 9th century. It's still dry as a popcorn fart over there according to a few people that live there.
It is. July is the driest month of the year, so doubling the almost nothing still equals not a lot. At any given time there's always some place that experiencing record drought or record some other variable. Right now it's California.

The source of the graph: https://sunshinehours.wordpress.com/

The source of the data is here: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It is. July is the driest month of the year, so doubling the almost nothing still equals not a lot. At any given time there's always some place that experiencing record drought or record some other variable. Right now it's California.

The source of the graph: https://sunshinehours.wordpress.com/

The source of the data is here: Climate at a Glance | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
What are you guys going to drink when the alpine glaciers are all gone? Thsy's just a small number of decades away at the current rate of shrinkage.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Really???????? First I've heard of it! I would have said aridity is measured by lack of water.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
What are you guys going to drink when the alpine glaciers are all gone? Thsy's just a small number of decades away at the current rate of shrinkage.

What the heck are you talking about? The same as everyone else who doesn't have glaciers. Glaciers don't add water to the system.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Ooooooh you are talking about California, I thought you were talking about Cali in Columbia.

Where's that graph from?

What records have they got from the 9th century? Maybe the rings on Red woods! Pretty vague!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
What the heck are you talking about? The same as everyone else who doesn't have glaciers. Glaciers don't add water to the system.

So, the Bow River just burbles into being from where ...another dimension?

I don't live in a dry place. I live about 800 metres from a great big wet Great Lake one (which is, BTW still partially glacial melt water.)

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Really???????? First I've heard of it! I would have said aridity is measured by lack of water.

Google it, my friend.
So, the Bow River just burbles into being from where ...another dimension?

Un-feekin-believable! Are you telling me with a straight face that if all the glaciers got abducted by aliens that the river levels would go down? Think of a glacier as a lake. Take any lake. How about Lake Superior. Are you telling me that if Lake Superior were filled in with sand such that only the rivers were left to flow where the lake stands now that the St. Lawrence would have less water where it hits the ocean? That is some special kind of math that they didn't teach when I was in school.

The only way that glaciers add water to the river is if they are melting, which most of them are doing. If they stopped melting (as many people wish they would do) they would stop adding to the system. If they expanded, they would subtract from the river system, and the river levels would go down.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Google it, my friend.

Un-feekin-believable! Are you telling me with a straight face that if all the glaciers got abducted by aliens that the river levels would go down? Think of a glacier as a lake. Take any lake. How about Lake Superior. Are you telling me that if Lake Superior were filled in with sand such that only the rivers were left to flow where the lake stands now that the St. Lawrence would have less water where it hits the ocean? That is some special kind of math that they didn't teach when I was in school.

The only way that glaciers add water to the river is if they are melting, which most of them are doing. If they stopped melting (as many people wish they would do) they would stop adding to the system. If they expanded, they would subtract from the river system, and the river levels would go down.

I would say that you live very near de Nile.

So, the Calgary area is nice and wet, is it? I've never heard the Palliser Triangle referred to as humid. Their water must come from those great aspen rain forests upstream.

The flaw in your logic is that as long as glaciers are not melting, nothing much flows downhill at all. The alpine glaciers have been melting faster than they have been advancing for several thousand years as we continually emerge from the last ice advance. How the hell would you or anyone know about the "steady state" of neither melt nor more water being stored? It hasn't been that way since Europeans were living at the feet of their own big glaciers.

Last edited:

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
I would say that you live very near de Nile.

So, the Calgary area is nice and wet, is it? I've never heard the Palliser Triangle referred to as humid. Their water must come from those great aspen rain forests upstream.

The flaw in your logic is that as long as glaciers are not melting, nothing much flows downhill at all. The alpine glaciers have been melting faster than they have been advancing for several thousand years as we continually emerge from the last ice advance. How the hell would you or anyone know about the "steady state" of neither melt nor more water being stored? It hasn't been that way since Europeans were living at the feet of their own big glaciers.

Perhaps I misunderstood you because you completely misunderstood me. I agree that the glaciers are melting, but they are a very small portion of the rivers. Glaciers melt very slowly, so precipitation is what accounts for 95% of stream flow. If precipitation increases, rivers increase. If precipitation decreases, rivers decrease.

Let's put it this way. The amount of water flowing into the ocean is directly related to precipitation. Precipitation minus evaporation = water flow. All rivers come from precipitation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Perhaps I misunderstood you because you completely misunderstood me. I agree that the glaciers are melting, but they are a very small portion of the rivers. Glaciers melt very slowly, so precipitation is what accounts for 95% of stream flow. If precipitation increases, rivers increase. If precipitation decreases, rivers decrease.

Let's put it this way. The amount of water flowing into the ocean is directly related to precipitation. Precipitation minus evaporation = water flow. All rivers come from precipitation.

Glaciers can shed a hell of a lot of water during the hot summer months depending of course on where the glacier is located. Due to the pressure at the bottom of a glacier there can be a huge melt just for the fact pressure lowers the melting temperature.