Canada, U.S. agree to use each other's troops in civil emergencies

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The US sent help to all those nations...they just didn't want armed US troops. Those warships was able to desalinate sea water so the people could have potable water and it they were used.
I'm more than happy to be wrong on this issue. My post did mention warships though and when I re-found the article it was just one nation that was reluctant, not many. At a time like that it would have to be a lot of distrust not to readily accept aid from whomever can get there the quickest.
India's rejection of all foreign aid might show independence but it also show a bit of disregard for it's people that were doing the actual suffering.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0105-10.htm
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As Sri Lankan political scientist Jayadeva Uyangoda puts it: ''Humanitarian (aid) is not purely humanitarian'', but might represent an opportunity for Bush to ''get a foothold in Sri Lanka... There is no innocence in the politics of humanitarian assistance.''[/FONT]

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Well...I dont see it as a horrible idea...I think Canada has enough soldiers in Canada at any given time to respond to an emergency...Now if it were some sort of nuclear attack, or chemical attack....both countries only have so many soldiers trainned on rescue in those condtions...I think that what it would apply too. Supplementing eachothers shortages in soldier professions...

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
Well...I dont see it as a horrible idea...I think Canada has enough soldiers in Canada at any given time to respond to an emergency...Now if it were some sort of nuclear attack, or chemical attack....both countries only have so many soldiers trainned on rescue in those condtions...I think that what it would apply too. Supplementing eachothers shortages in soldier professions...

I hope you're right. It's just it seems that recently the U.S. will take advantage of any situation and people have paid a heavy price for their actions (americans included!).

You would think that our government could see something as seemingly obvious as this.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
Why would you say Canadians are hopeless at making change? The ruling federal party didn't exist much more than twenty years ago.

I'm not sure i understand your answer. Could you elaborate a bit?

[/quote]Just because we don't make idiots of ourselves carrying placards and chanting mind numbingly simple slogans over and over again doesn't mean we are hopeless to institute change.[/quote]

I completely agree with you. Not that i think that people who are trying to be heard on important issues are idiotic. But it's just that sometimes things like that can get out of hand and do more damage than good. But since you brought it up, do you have any suggestions on ways we can institute change other than making " idiots of ourselves carrying placards and chanting mind numbing slogans over and over again" ?

[/quote]This country has changed a LOT over the last 30 years.[/quote]

Yeah, i know! And i think we need to ensure that we protect what we have left.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
As Obvious as what...helpping a long time ally?

Mergeing our armys wont really happen.....Thats not true...if it did...your look at one very anoyed soldier

Well there you go. You're a Canadian soldier. How do you feel about all this?

Not to freak you out or anything but there are alot of Americans all over the U.S. that own their own weapons and will use them if they feel threated. Who would be getting the brunt end of that deal?

Also, hypothetically, what if you were ordered to fire on American people? I know this might sound weird but realize, pretty much every tour that Canada has been involved in for the last 30 or so years have been in countries where the demographic of the people are very different from our own. It's easy to feel distant from them and feel like the greater cause is easily seen and so you feel semi-comfortable doing whatever you have to do there. But what if the people were just like you, they listened to the same music as you, laughed at the same television shows as you and basically shares and contributes to and virtually IS your culture AND what if you weren't so clear with why you are there having to 'contain'(?) these people?

Where as here in Canada we're pretty much unarmed. If the U.S. ever had the opportunity to have their soldiers on our soil enforcing martial law, that could prove disastrous. Imagine that! With all the American resentment every where you can almost be sure that there's gonna be some idiot that is gonna do something that will qualify as a 'provocation' and then it'll just be chaos and pandemonium from there on out because, if you look at the past, things always get blown fantastically out of proportion.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that, honestly, i REALLY WANT to believe that this is something as innocent as a friendly agreement to be there for each other when the going gets tough but my Spidey senses are tingling on this one. The whole thing just seems out of place.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
I've just been on a site called the ledger.com and read some of the comments over there. I'm pretty sure that most of them are American judging by their responses.They don't seem to trust this agreement either but it's interesting to hear it from an American perspective.

You should check it out if you're interested.

Dorkasaurus Award : read what Somerville said Feb 26

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Your thinking to far into the whole situation I think. It works for both Countries...The States has lots of Troops deployed all over the world....Well they do have tones at hime they dont have as many as they would need to control certian situations, attacks or Natural disaters....Canada can help with that....And Like wise to Canada the USA can help.

If I were ordered to fire on American people and it wasnt for an Unlawful Purpose then I would. I doubt however that thier will be any reason to fire on any americans unless they have the chance to take your life... But wouldnt you yourself fire to protect yourself? Hell if a Canadian was trying to kill me I think id try to kill them first. So I dont think that argument really applys...and if it does you need to explain that better. Canadians would only fire on innocent people if they were no longer being innocent, or caused great risk to Canadians on the ground. Even when great risk is apperant we have to do 2 warning shots if we have the chance to stop soething bad form happing....

Now if Americans were fireing on Canadians Iam sure it would be out of the same rules...I wouldnt be happy about it......but if a Canadian was trying to kill an american the American does have the human right to protect theirself.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Brian Mulroney doesn't care......

Brian Mulroney doesn't Like Black People!

Sorry, couldn't resist.... it crossed the mind.

There ARE examples of nations/countries where it's people successfully overcame their oppressive governments or dictators. What fascinates me about these events is the fact that this phenomenon - successful overthrowing of governments or policies, occur in very poor countries and victory comes from the hands of very poor, oppressed and, interestingly enough, poorly educated people/individuals.
Why is it that we, in our society where we have everything seem incapable of doing even the very least of what we can do for the sake of OUR country = we the people?

Simple answer:

because we look at those poor people across the world and think that their situations are dire.... and we are far better off then they are, so why complain about the small things? Because it's all the small things that will get us in the end and put us right back to where they are now. We're stuck in this labeled developed country and we just grown acustomed to being screwed over as the way to keep the country running well.

How about we use a bit of that Capitalistic attitude against them "We have it not that bad, but we can have much more.... we deserve much more!" Why the hell should we bend over backwards for the select few who promise they have our best interests in mind without any proof? How about we put in a government structure which can be proven, can be monitored, and no decision is made unless the collective of the country is educated on the pros/cons, and we alone decide?

Here's a fundamental question : What makes you think that we are hopeless/helpless when it comes to making changes for ourselves, each other, and our country? Also keep in mind, it wouldn't be a one man battle.
AND if there was already a group of people out there trying to expose the government and protesting, would you sit back in your homes and watch it all on t.v or would you get up and join the others and try to become an instrument of change? Even if it meant - you could get hurt?

(Man - i should've called myself Windbag. Why can't i keep it short????)

Welcome to my world.

Short answers are short solutions.

Petitions don't do squat, and protestors do nothing either except get on the news.... but in the end, nothing ever changes. More action and orginization is required. Time to set the ball in motion and get people aware that there is always an alternative solution to the hell we live.

And don't forget, we are in a hell of a country, both the US and Canada.... it's not as bad as those who are across the world poor, hungry and opressed.... because we're the one's partially responsible for their suffering by allowing these governments to continue on their selfesh and profit for the select few ways.

Well the selfish and select few can never survive in nature and no matter how technologically advance we become, it's all still a part of nature, as are we.... and no species can survive forever is it doesn't stick together, unify, and work as an actual family. Some may say we're no where near this unity, that we have so many diversities and differences in race, religion etc.

But who keeps telling us this? Who keeps blaming one another for petty things?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Say the common people revolted against the 'authorities' because they invalidated the constitution. That document gives them the right to do that (revolt)if the Gov oversteps what they are permitted to do.
Whose orders would you be obeying, the illegal Gov (who will most likely be doing the 'asking')or the 'common people' who are acting 'legally' in that they are trying to prevent a 'coup'?
If some American troops joined the 'commoners' would you then fight against them, or vice-versa?

In an open and transparent Gov aren't these things to be made public before they are signed into being? Think any protest will ever make that deal null and void? Even a change of Government will not do that, not that I've heard even a whisper of any opposition from any elected official.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The War drums are beating, Canada as we know it is on the brink of extinction, our sovereignty is gone, we are slaves to the dollar, GWB is the Antichrist and Harper is his puppet. That's this whole thread in a nutshell, although we could use some posts linking 911 to Zionists to make it more balanced.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
.....If I were ordered to fire on American people and it wasnt for an Unlawful Purpose then I would. I doubt however that thier will be any reason to fire on any americans unless they have the chance to take your life... But wouldnt you yourself fire to protect yourself? Hell if a Canadian was trying to kill me I think id try to kill them first. So I dont think that argument really applys...and if it does you need to explain that better. Canadians would only fire on innocent people if they were no longer being innocent, or caused great risk to Canadians on the ground. Even when great risk is apperant we have to do 2 warning shots if we have the chance to stop soething bad form happing....

To put this in a better perspective.... if the US election ploy doesn't work and the US Public decides to go revolution on the government's arse, the government has enough bills and laws pass now that cover their ass so they can call anybody they so wish a Terrorist.... this includes people who have the right to bear arms against a domestic enemy such as the US government.

If these people were acting on their given rights as US citizens of taking up arms against their government to make change for the better, and then you are ordered to attack these "Terrorists" whom have guns..... which side would you be on?

Same goes for Canada.... would you do the same if a revolution occured here in Canada? Would you stand up for the Canadian people, defend them and help make change for the better, or would you just follow your orders from the government tops?

Now if Americans were fireing on Canadians Iam sure it would be out of the same rules...I wouldnt be happy about it......but if a Canadian was trying to kill an american the American does have the human right to protect theirself.

Indeed, you seem to be on the ball on this part.... but once again, throw revolution in... where the people no longer wish to have this form of democratic representation and want change by force.... would you oppose these people or would you fight for the existing government?

Would you considder these people "Terrorists" or "Freedom Fighters?"

When ordered, do you seriously have a choice?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The War drums are beating, Canada as we know it is on the brink of extinction, our sovereignty is gone, we are slaves to the dollar, GWB is the Antichrist and Harper is his puppet. That's this whole thread in a nutshell, although we could use some posts linking 911 to Zionists to make it more balanced.
Ask and you shall receive.

"Evidence linking these Israelis to 9/11 is classified. I cannot tell you about evidence that has been gathered. It's classified information."US official quoted in Carl Cameron's Fox News report on the Israeli spy ring.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

You can attempt to dumb it down with other conspiritoristic filth, but that doesn't make it any less or more true then it already is. You can not deny documents and actions which prove something has occured or will happen soon.

The issue both countries need to realize is that as soon as "Canada" becomes extinct.... so too does the US as we know it, because both governments don't really give two craps about either.

You can attempt to trivialize this such as I have seen others in the past do, but it's not going to make this go away. Before you know it, you'll wake up one day and turn on your computer to find it no longer connects to the internet, communications have been cut, a new war in the middle east has begun, martial law in both countries will be in place, and we're all screwed. The only problem is most do not know just how soon this is all going to happen.

Ha ha.... yeah, great story. Our parents were woried about WWIII during the cold war and nothing happened, so this is no different. A couple of tiny wars occured and now everybody thinks WWIII is going to occur.... yeah right, smoke your pot some more fellas.

you wish.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Before you know it, you'll wake up one day and turn on your computer to find it no longer connects to the internet, communications have been cut, a new war in the middle east has begun, martial law in both countries will be in place, and we're all screwed. The only problem is most do not know just how soon this is all going to happen.
That's why everybody should keep a copy of smoke-signals handy.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You can attempt to dumb it down with other conspiritoristic filth, but that doesn't make it any less or more true then it already is. You can not deny documents and actions which prove something has occured or will happen soon.

The issue both countries need to realize is that as soon as "Canada" becomes extinct.... so too does the US as we know it, because both governments don't really give two craps about either.

You can attempt to trivialize this such as I have seen others in the past do, but it's not going to make this go away. Before you know it, you'll wake up one day and turn on your computer to find it no longer connects to the internet, communications have been cut, a new war in the middle east has begun, martial law in both countries will be in place, and we're all screwed. The only problem is most do not know just how soon this is all going to happen.

Ha ha.... yeah, great story. Our parents were woried about WWIII during the cold war and nothing happened, so this is no different. A couple of tiny wars occured and now everybody thinks WWIII is going to occur.... yeah right, smoke your pot some more fellas.

you wish.

I have been hearing the same sort of speculation you make for years now Praxius, and guess what? It has only turned out to be speculation, Canada is still Canada, there isn't going to be a US invasion of Canada, there isn't going to be a revolutions. (Are you going to round up your internet nerd friends to fight the righteous battle? haha right)

You are creating grandiose fiction wrapped around tiny tidbits of information, like most conspiracy whackos. Keep smoking your crappy weed Paxil.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I have been hearing the same sort of speculation you make for years now Praxius, and guess what? It has only turned out to be speculation, Canada is still Canada, there isn't going to be a US invasion of Canada, there isn't going to be a revolutions. (Are you going to round up your internet nerd friends to fight the righteous battle? haha right)

You are creating grandiose fiction wrapped around tiny tidbits of information, like most conspiracy whackos. Keep smoking your crappy weed Paxil.

Oh, wow, such intelligent personal insults, you really move me.

I don't believe in conspiracies, I believe in information that makes sense. If they appear to be some evil conspiracy, then that's your problem, and if you can't face things that arn't so pretty, that again is your problem and need a grip on reality yourself, not I.

Canada isn't still Canada and the moment you get your head out of your arse and decide to look around at what has changed, perhaps that might be the moment your IQ can squeeze out one more point.

You speak about speculations.... well is this agreement speculation or did this really occur? Is the concept of commercial/corporate influence speculation or is it going on today still in our governments?

What the concept of Bush bull sh*tting us all about Iraq and WOMD speculation or fact now? What about Iran? What about the US's influence on making the Liberals a few years back squash their very own decriminalization bill for marijuana possesion they passed a few days earlier because they claimed it damaged their "War on Drugs" BS and threatened to tighten up the borders if it remained active?

How about you actually do some reading and perhaps some of your own trivial research for once so you actually know what you're talking about, rather then trying to down play something you don't seem to understand?

How about you stop wasting our time and if you don't like threads in which you think are conspiracies, how about you stay the hell out of them and save yourself and us some time?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Oh and if we're all internet nerds... what the hell does that make you?

Yeah I thought so, good job on that one lug nut.

I read all this crap in the past as well for the last number of years, you saying you did too doesn't impress nor does it prove your side any.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Oh, wow, such intelligent personal insults, you really move me.

I don't believe in conspiracies, I believe in information that makes sense. If they appear to be some evil conspiracy, then that's your problem, and if you can't face things that arn't so pretty, that again is your problem and need a grip on reality yourself, not I.

Canada isn't still Canada and the moment you get your head out of your arse and decide to look around at what has changed, perhaps that might be the moment your IQ can squeeze out one more point.

You speak about speculations.... well is this agreement speculation or did this really occur? Is the concept of commercial/corporate influence speculation or is it going on today still in our governments?

What the concept of Bush bull sh*tting us all about Iraq and WOMD speculation or fact now? What about Iran? What about the US's influence on making the Liberals a few years back squash their very own decriminalization bill for marijuana possesion they passed a few days earlier because they claimed it damaged their "War on Drugs" BS and threatened to tighten up the borders if it remained active?

How about you actually do some reading and perhaps some of your own trivial research for once so you actually know what you're talking about, rather then trying to down play something you don't seem to understand?

How about you stop wasting our time and if you don't like threads in which you think are conspiracies, how about you stay the hell out of them and save yourself and us some time?

Look Boy, the agreement states that we can use each others troops during an emergency. You are creating fiction around that, by insinuating that the US can just march in here on a whim. Right in the article it says "But Canada Command spokesman Commander David Scanlon said it will be up to civilian authorities in both countries on whether military assistance is requested or even used.". That isn't a green light for uncle Same to invade Canada, it's a mutual decision if one country needs another's assistance.

Canada is still Canada, Praxis, you spouting off crap doesn't change that. You have said nothing to prove otherwise, other then your conspiracy ramblings and calls for a revolution. My life and the rights I have in this country have not been diminished in any way, I guess that's just in my head though. As for IQ, you really know you are out of ammo when you start insults based on that, you are a broken record, regurgitating the same crap daily... try something original.

I don't care what Bush did or didn't do Praxis, that is an American problem, not ours. Iraq is their festering mess for which they will have to fix or leave. In regards to Iran, it is highly unlikely anything will happen there, and please save me the crap about Bush appointing him self Emperor and suspending the constitution and other nonsense. How can the Liberals pass a bill then squash it a couple days earlier? If it was passed, you would assume the House voted on it and it was passed into law. From what I have read, the bill died in the house due to opposition from not just the US, but also "
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] It was opposed by elements of the Canadian law enforcement establishment, conservative politicians, and hyperventilating US officials as too lenient, as well as by many Canadian marijuana smokers and activists and progressive politicians, who saw it as too little and its grow penalties too severe" http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle-old/337/ca.shtml

I will reply to any thread I feel like Paxil, keep that in mind. You are not the be all and end all of knowledge of this forum, just because I don't buy your conspiracy BS, it doesn't make my view any less relevant.
[/SIZE][/FONT]