Canada tightens mortgage rules to stop housing bubble

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I know very little about Mike Harris, but I do know for a fact his predesessor Bob Rae put the province in terrible straits, so I doubt if Harris deserves all the blame.

Not true again, Rae was saddled with a recession similar to the one we have now and used Keynesian economic policies the same way Harper and most of the world employed today.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I know very little about Mike Harris, but I do know for a fact his predesessor Bob Rae put the province in terrible straits, so I doubt if Harris deserves all the blame.

Maybe you should read up on it. Rae didn't tank the Ontario economy. A recession did that. One can only work with what one has so many of his idealistic promises had to go by the wayside. Unions cried foul over Rae Days as cost-cutting measures. Harris gave them full unemployment when he scrapped programs and gutted ministries. Rae's biggest problem was in being not far enough left to suit his own party.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Not so fast CB- he may be running a fever, someone should check his temperature. I've never had any problem with Flaherty, always talks common sense from what I can see. However S.J. is right in tightening up the rules. Buying a house with nothing or 5% down makes no sense.

Personally I would like to see at least 10% down and 6 months worth of mortgage payments in a trust account, just to protect against things like sickness or loss of job. It's just less stressful for everyone concerned.

Farty is an ass, I've had a few encounters with the man, he's in my riding. Easy to get a meet and greet with him if you have money or a business until he realizes you don't tow the party line.

When Bob Rae ran up deficits in Ontario he used to scream and yell about it but then he does the same thing as finance minster of Ontario and Canada.

Pot meet kettle.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The global bubble economy used to be lighter than air now it's a wet paper bag that no matter for all the huffing and puffing of the kings men and horses can't be inflated again. What a wonderful oportunity for war. This calls for leadership. A proper carbon economy would go a long way to restore investor confidence. We must work harder. There is hope for change, going forward, and a bit to the right. haha What a mess. It's snowing again.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It would be really cool if for once you made some sort of sense......work on it.

Thanks.

Of all the posters on here you are one of the ones who make the least sense, you're one of those people who should talk less and listen more- when your mouth is closed it's hard to put your foot it in..................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Of all the posters on here you are one of the ones who make the least sense, you're one of those people who should talk less and listen more- when your mouth is closed it's hard to put your foot it in..................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks.;-)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Wow, what a pile of BS that is.:roll:

Tell me, what exactly did they do that makes them the envy of the world when it comes to the financial crisis?

Nothing. The only thing to Harper's credit is that he made small mistakes (like blowing away the surplus on tax cuts, but not going into deficit), he did not make huge blunders like Bush (who ranked up huge deficits for tax cuts).

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Here we go again another Conservative effort in futility.

The banks are the problem but the government will not address that issue.

The banks are only paying 2% to 3% for savings, which is ridiculous meanwhile they are making lots of money on credit card interest and ATM service fees and all the other service fees while using our money and they are paying very little.

Banks are paying 2 to 3 %? Where? The big banks are paying less than 1 % on bank accounts, perhaps slightly more on Money Marker Funds (but I don't think you get 2 to 3 % even there).

Some of the smaller banks such as ING may be paying that kind of interest, but the big banks pay much less than that.

The banks should be paying at least 8% to 9% on savings and term deposits.

It’s time to raise the interest rates so people can make more money on savings.

You need to study Economics 101. If banks paid 8 to 9% to investors, they will have to charge 12 to 13% to the businesses (to whom they lend money). Loans will become very expensive. That will collapse the business activity altogether and we will plunge into depression.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Every wise investor (well, maybe not Warren Buffet) puts some money into fixed income, most people roughly 50/50, so if savings accounts are paying 8% you can bet the ratio is going to rise dramatically. If Savings Accounts are paying 8% mortgages are going to be costing us 10%, and bang there goes inflation into the stratosphere.

You also need to study Economics 101, JLM. High interest rates are not inflationary, they are deflationary. High interest rates means all kind of loans become very expensive.

Mortgages become expensive, so people don’t but houses. Business loans become expensive, so businesses don’t expand and new businesses don’t start. The result is recession and unemployment. Business activity slows right down.

Interest rates are kept high only when inflation is running rampant. They are kept high until there is high inflation. As soon as inflation abates, interest rates are lowered. High interest rates are very harmful to the economy (and it doesn’t do Wall Street or Bay Street any good either).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"High interest rates are very harmful to the economy (and it doesn’t do Wall Street or Bay Street any good either)."-

That is what I just finished saying, S.J. if you'd just read my post.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"High interest rates are very harmful to the economy (and it doesn’t do Wall Street or Bay Street any good either)."-

That is what I just finished saying, S.J. if you'd just read my post.

Quite so, JLM. My problem was with you saying that high interest rates will blow the inflation sky high. That is not the case, high interest rates are deflationary, not inflationary. High interest rates will blow unemployment sky high, not inflation.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Quite so, JLM. My problem was with you saying that high interest rates will blow the inflation sky high. That is not the case, high interest rates are deflationary, not inflationary. High interest rates will blow unemployment sky high, not inflation.

The choice in our terminally ill global economy is deflation or inflation or total war. Which do you think is better for a war economy. You seem to forget that we are pledged to fight TWOT till the planet is safe from Jupitarians. Sure you'll be alright, you can live at the bank, with your gold, but the rest of us have to enlist and go everseas to prevent the Taleban from breaking out to the coast from which they will surely mount an assault on Fortress North America. What the hell is wrong with you man?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't seem to communicate with you. I have failed, I am sorry. I should go away and stop wasting your time.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. BOTH of you guys could use some refreshers in communicating- it's not a forte with either one of you. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. BOTH of you guys could use some refreshers in communicating- it's not a forte with either one of you. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

What didn't you understand about my responses to your posts on this thread oh wise and perfectly understandable one?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Let's start a fight again boys!!! Time to get out of the sandbox for a couple of hours until you can play nice.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Let's start a fight again boys!!! Time to get out of the sandbox for a couple of hours until you can play nice.

You're right VanIsle, it's just too bad that these guys who think they know everything have to p*ss those of us us who reallly do..........................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: