Canada loses 31,200 jobs in July; biggest drop in full-time positions since 2011

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I don't know exactly what he did other than create an enabling environment resulting in the economy described on the news yesterday!

Record debt, record deficits, record unemployment, extreme racial divisiveness.

A real success story

How urgent is the closure of Gitmo?

8 years ago it was apparently at the top of his list, so if it was urgent back then, I can only expect that hasn't changed

It might be the perfect place for these rogue cops who insist on murdering Blacks! (Are the water boarding facilities still in place?)

So, the cops are totally in the wrong, huh?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
bravo

The Canadian labour market lost 31,200 net jobs last month as the country experienced the biggest monthly drop in full-time work in nearly five years.

Statistics Canada’s latest labour force survey says the market shed 71,400 full-time positions in July – a number partly offset by an increase of 40,200 in less-desirable, part-time jobs.

The agency says full-time work in Canada hasn’t suffered a one-month blow this big since October 2011.

The report says the national unemployment rate in July crept up to 6.9 per cent from 6.8 per cent the previous month.

The survey also says paid employee positions fell by 28,400 last month, compared to a decline of 2,700 in self-employed work.

A consensus of economists had predicted the country would add 10,000 jobs and the unemployment rate would move up to 6.9 per cent, according to Thomson Reuters.

Canadian economy loses 31,200 jobs in July - 680 NEWS

We deserve it. When the US economy was hurting in 2008 and Canada's was faring much better, I'd proposed on this very forum that that was the time for Canada to offer a common labour market agreement. The common refrain was why let Americans take our jobs.

Well, now's pay back time.

On some US forum some smart American is probably proposing open borders to help Canada and foolish Americans now saying why let Canadians take our jobs.

If we don't want to cooperate and help each other, fine. But don't then complain of unemployment whamen it comes.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
mebbe you Canadians should hire Obama as your new leader so that he can create the millions of jobs there like he has here

The only jobs being created in the developed world are low payed service and retail jobs. Primary industries in raw material smelting.. secondary industries in processing.. tertiary industries in manufacturing have all but disappeared.

And now Canada not even producing the service sector jobs as Free Trade ensures even these jobs will move to economies with the greater economies of scale. It's obvious to all.. except our drooling, limp wristed PM and band of feminist bandaleros.. and their interminable Free Trade piracy of Canadian economic vitality..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sorry Coldstream. I may be socially conservative, but I still see mankind as one family. Ironically enough, I see even that as being part of my social conservatism.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Sorry Coldstream. I may be socially conservative, but I still see mankind as one family. Ironically enough, I see even that as being part of my social conservatism.

Global Free Market Capitalism stems directly from 18th Century Classic British Economic Liberalism.. that of Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Thomas Malthus.

It is fundamentally an economic system of Empire, Slavery, Usury, Exploitation, Racism.. to the benefit of a debauched slave holding, imperial overclass.. made grotesquely weathy through trade, finance and property holdings in maquilladora free trade zones and plantations.

It's primary enemy is the sovereign, constitutional nation state founded of moral principles and equity. It has nothing to do with Christian economics.. it is its antithesis.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Global Free Market Capitalism stems directly from 18th Century Classic British Economic Liberalism.. that of Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Thomas Malthus.

It is fundamentally an economic system of Empire, Slavery, Usury, Exploitation, Racism.. to the benefit of a debauched slave holding, imperial overclass.. made grotesquely weathy through trade, finance and property holdings in maquilladora free trade zones and plantations.

It's primary enemy is the sovereign, constitutional nation state founded of moral principles and equity. It has nothing to do with Christian economics.. it is its antithesis.

Now you're mixing two totally unrelated factors: free trade and wealth distribution. One does not necessarily exclude the other. It is possible to have free trade, high taxes on the rich, and a developed social safety net. However, the principle of a common family should never be sacrificed on the altar of the fetish of nationalism.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The only jobs being created in the developed world are low payed service and retail jobs. Primary industries in raw material smelting.. secondary industries in processing.. tertiary industries in manufacturing have all but disappeared.

So I guess that means if a person wants a job he has to pick from what's available and plan his/her spending accordingly? It's happened before and the world has survived! :) :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So I guess that means if a person wants a job he has to pick from what's available and plan his/her spending accordingly? It's happened before and the world has survived! :) :)

I think what he means is that furriners don't deserve the jobs we want to keep for ourselves. There's a solution to that though: open borders. Then if Coldstream sees a job he likes better abroad, he can compete for it on an equal footing like everyone else rather than have the government steal it for him.

Between open Hong Kong and closed North Korea, guess which I prefer.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think what he means is that furriners don't deserve the jobs we want to keep for ourselves. There's a solution to that though: open borders. Then if Coldstream sees a job he likes better abroad, he can compete for it on an equal footing like everyone else rather than have the government steal it for him.

Between open Hong Kong and closed North Korea, guess which I prefer.

I think N.K. has to be second choice open or closed. :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think N.K. has to be second choice open or closed. :)

Nah, Singapore is even more open than HK by a bit. So that would make HK second choice. I've seen HK's bustling economy. Free trade has only benefited it.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
When canada lost all those jobs in 2011,did the Liberals blame the Harper gov? And no that the liberals are at the helm did they not take credit for an economic recovery that happened a few months after they formed gov? And, since they are already taking credit for the gains, are they also admitting the this down turn is their fault? Are they claiming residuals from the harper gov? Hence not accepting the bad with the good of their policies?

Keepitsimple

Apr 28, 2016
31,000 lost jobs. Is that what our $30,000,000,000 deficit buys us - the deficit that was going to kick-start the economy?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Probably, but where is the money coming from to pay those jobs?

That is a problem, but I was just answering the question at face value.

That said, instead of bringing so many over, we should just have granted Syrians the right to work in Canada and that"s it. Those who could hack it would have come while the rest would have stayed behind. Those who succeed might then offer jobs to their family members and so then bring them over little by little.

Instead of refugee status, just making Canada a visa-free country would suffice. Don't need a visa to work here, but the moment you become dependent, you have two choices. Find someone to sponsor you or the government ships you back home.

That is my idea if open borders. A visa-free area.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Now you're mixing two totally unrelated factors: free trade and wealth distribution. One does not necessarily exclude the other. It is possible to have free trade, high taxes on the rich, and a developed social safety net. However, the principle of a common family should never be sacrificed on the altar of the fetish of nationalism.

Never has Free Trade, or more generally Free Market Capitalism been associated with equitable distribution of wealth.

It is inextricably linked to the economic Darwinism.. the law of the jungle and survival of the fittest. The profit equation of Free Trade demands a captive, desperate labour force.. which will always payed at subsistance wages.

Look at the Maquilladora Free Trade Zones of Mexico.. where unions are ruthlessly and muderously suppressed. Where the workplace is dominated by single women who are fired as soon as they become pregnant. Where there is no security, pensions, benefits, safety or work regulation. All that matters for Free Markets in profit.

The constitutional national system is dirigiste, protectionist and progressive, clearly distinct from the imperial free market system, which is unregulated, without tariffs or national investment policies and regressive. It is the only system of political economy in the history of the world that is not based on slavery, usury and tyranny and in support of a small oligarchy of ownership and trading interests.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Never has Free Trade, or more generally Free Market Capitalism been associated with equitable distribution of wealth.

It is inextricably linked to the economic Darwinism.. the law of the jungle and survival of the fittest. The profit equation of Free Trade demands a captive, desperate labour force.. which will always payed at subsistance wages.

Look at the Maquilladora Free Trade Zones of Mexico.. where unions are ruthlessly and muderously suppressed. Where the workplace is dominated by single women who are fired as soon as they become pregnant. Where there is no security, pensions, benefits, safety or work regulation. All that matters for Free Markets in profit.

The constitutional national system is dirigiste, protectionist and progressive, clearly distinct from the imperial free market system, which is unregulated, without tariffs or national investment policies and regressive. It is the only system of political economy in the history of the world that is not based on slavery, usury and tyranny and in support of a small oligarchy of ownership and trading interests.

You're still confusing two separate things. It's quite possible to promote free trade alongside a high wealth tax for example.

It's equally possible to shut the borders while still promoting Darwinian economics.

They're two totally separate and unrelated things.