Canada in violation of international law

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
and just one more little tid bit..... "private" schools that want recognition through provincial standards recieve, on average, between 60% and 70% per student funding of public schools.

I'm already aware private schools receive a percentage, but it's still less than 100% for Catholic schools.It's the principle of the thing. What does equality mean? 60-80%?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It doesn't change the principle that one is protected in the Constitution, the others aren't.

Are you suggesting that we revise the Constitution to reflect modern views of equality, or preserve it as a traditionalist relic?
Unless you want to revisit the Native issues as well. In a much more in depth and equal term, you may want to not go there...I say this with all sincerity and honesty...I'm Native.

If you open this can of whoopass, you're going to invite the Natives into to do the same. Giving way for them to use modern law to enact greater rights. More then they are capable of wielding at present.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm already aware private schools receive a percentage, but it's still less than 100% for Catholic schools.It's the principle of the thing. What does equality mean? 60-80%?
Actually, if you consider the cost of uniforms, the taxation the parents pay, I'ld say it almost equals up.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Actually, if you consider the cost of uniforms, the taxation the parents pay, I'ld say it almost equals up.

Well, it's nice to see that 'almost' is good enough. Canada guarantees that we will all be almost equal. What pride and joy!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, it's nice to see that 'almost' is good enough. Canada guarantees that we will all be almost equal. What pride and joy!
Hey, I can send my kids to catholic School...so can you and/or anyone else...it's the law...

;-)

So no one is barred from using the school.

Where's the inequality?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hey, I can send my kids to catholic School...so can you and/or anyone else...it's the law...

;-)

So no one is barred from using the school.

Where's the inequality?

Oh wonderful. So we all have the freedom to assimilate.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Catholic schools in provinces that have full public funding, can NOT refuse enrolment of non Catholics. Would a Jewish private school allow the same? A Muslim? A Hindu?

The Catholic School Districts that are publically funded are NOT private schools.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can't beleive that you're defense is that we all have equal access to a Catholic education!
It's not a defense. I may have been baptised Catholic, but I am not a Catholic.

I was making a point that it is open to all.

Therefore your argument kinda takes a hit.

Don't like it, oh well...:cool:

BTW: I do not support funding any religious based school.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm Native, I have access to a free education, tax exemption, and so on...

Do you begrudge me these Treaty guaranteed rights?

That was an international treaty. And yes, we could choose to bow out of that just as easilyas we could the agreeement with the Catholics. But with the Catholics, it's musch easier because all we'd have to do is let the provinces secede at will.

With the First Nations, we'd all have to board boats and head off. As for me, of British, French, and native descent but not a card-carrying native, I'd be quite confused. Being not legally recognized as a native, I guess I'd have to board a boat. But where would I go to: England or France?

So it would seem that we're really stuck with that agreement seeing what we'd have to do to walk out of that agreement honourably. With Cathlic education, it's not that big a deal to simply allow a province to cesede.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Another point of difference is that, as a native, you are always a native. It is essentially geneic. You're born into it, and are it whether you like it or not. Catholic is a religion. Harder to define the boundaries seeing that it's based on Faith, not genetics. I was born to a Catholic mother, but am not Catholic anymore. Unlike natives, it's not a nation or people as such, but a religigious community people can walk into or out of according to their Faith.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That was an international treaty. And yes, we could choose to bow out of that just as easilyas we could the agreeement with the Catholics. But with the Catholics, it's musch easier because all we'd have to do is let the provinces secede at will.

With the First Nations, we'd all have to board boats and head off. As for me, of British, French, and native descent but not a card-carrying native, I'd be quite confused. Being not legally recognized as a native, I guess I'd have to board a boat. But where would I go to: England or France?

So it would seem that we're really stuck with that agreement seeing what we'd have to do to walk out of that agreement honourably. With Cathlic education, it's not that big a deal to simply allow a province to cesede.

So...your answer is to break up the country.....to put it bluntly...get the f*ck out of my country you seperatist peice of shyte.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So...your answer is to break up the country.....to put it bluntly...get the f*ck out of my country you seperatist peice of shyte.

Actually, we wouldn't be breaking up the country. We'd be saying that we will no longer discriminate on the basis of religion, but recognizing that we must honour our agreements, this thus means that we would no longer be allowed to force provinces to remain in Canada if they insist that by no longer discriminating on the basis of religion, Canada forfits its right to keep them. We must honour agreements after all.

So if they insist on leaving to keep a discriminatory school system, then we'd not be the ones breaking up the country. They would be, and so show their true colours in the process.

I'm glad to hear that you would vote to remain in Canada in spite of a more just constitution. Seems we're on the same page then?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Or are you suggesting that Catholics would in fact threten to break up the country if we stopped giving them that special privilege? I'm not saying I'd want them to leave, but simply that we must honour our agreements. And if the agreement was Confederation in exchange for Catholic schools, then certainly if we stop doing that, then we must honour our side and let them leave should they wish to do so. Do you think most Catholics would leave?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It's nice to see how you feel about half of the Quebec population too, you Francophobic bugger.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Or maybe you're suggeting that we not honour our agreement? That we stop funding Catholic Schools and prohibit them from leaving Confederation? Is that what you're sggesting?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Actually, we wouldn't be breaking up the country. We'd be saying that we will no longer discriminate on the basis of religion, but recognizing that we must honour our agreements, this thus means that we would no longer be allowed to force provinces to remain in Canada if they insist that by no longer discriminating on the basis of religion, Canada forfits its right to keep them. We must honour agreements after all.

So if they insist on leaving to keep a discriminatory school system, then we'd not be the ones breaking up the country. They would be, and so show their true colours in the process.

I'm glad to hear that you would vote to remain in Canada in spite of a more just constitution. Seems we're on the same page then?

:roll: this decision has been made.... Education is a provincial matter, not federal. This was decided when the provinces joined confederation. You can't change the terms of HOW they joined a century later. It's a done deal. You can't turn back the clock and go "ok.... I want a do over"..:roll:

You want to solicit the federal government to change what is and what is not provincial jurasdiction this late in the game and expect them to follow your game plan....... good luck with that skippy.