Canada Had Internment Camps, Not Concentration Camps During WW2

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not a good part of Canadian history, and we don't want it repeated, but the 20th century was a harsh time. There is no need for Canada to constantly apologise.

Yeah, it's a case of many being punished for the deeds of a few. Mind you what they did at Pearl Harbour kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. War is never just.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I've heard all about the Japanese internments and the German ones (although they were to a much lesser degree), but I haven't heard of this at all... and there are a TON of Ukranians in northern Alberta. The only Ukranian forced-migration/purge/(and I hesitate to use the word because it gets over-used) genocide was in the USSR in the 1930s when Stalin did it and starved his own subjects (I won't call them his own people because Stalin was Georgian, not Ukranian) in his push to move people onto his collectivized projects and away from their traditional farms and villages. Although the Canadian gov't was not adverse to taking fairly extreme measures against various ethnicities, as international politics may have pushed, I can't see any reason they would have had to move against the Ukranians...

There is your answer. How much worse than Northern Alberta in the 30s and 40s can it get?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There ya go, if the enemy does horrid things without remorse, then that means it's ok for us to do horrid things without remorse too. So there.:p

I think that's what's known (to those in religious circles) as "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth". :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There ya go, if the enemy does horrid things without remorse, then that means it's ok for us to do horrid things without remorse too. So there.:p
You gleaned that from a question?

Hmm, but since you opened the door... let's see. Torture, live vivisection, murder, overt and purposeful cruelty.

Compared to...

Internment, confiscation and sale of property.

I know which one is horrid and which one I would prefer to go through. As some of my ancestors actually did.

Similarly, I remember my Grandfathers brother, telling me about how he was refused service in a bar where three POW's were having a cold one with their guards. After watching a movie in town.

Please spare me your insipid stupidity.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Internment Camps were in fact Concentration Camps and to suggest other wise
would be a disservice to the English Language. The real sad facts cannot be
measured in the word Internment.
What really happened? The Japanese were loyal Canadians and while some of
family members were in the Internment Camp their sons were in fact fighting in
Canadian uniforms for Canada and the United States. I should be noted that in
Italy some of the worst fighting in the mountains was carried by Japanese
Americans battling the Germans.
It is also a puzzle, we put the Japanese in these camps but no Germans were sent
to these holiday camps as it were. After all, and internment camp couldn't be a
concentration camp so it must have been a pleasant place right? That is what our
Governments would have us believe anyway.
The real sad fact is some of our business people who administered the assets of
the Japanese took on the job for a dollar. Ya right. The did it for a dollar but they
were allowed to profit from the assets of selling other peoples property and not
compensating them for it. They sold home, fishing boats, canneries and farms
without ever paying people for what they took. This is why the Japanese wanted
an apology for this miscarriage of justice.
I heard many stories about this, and knew some people who lost everything while
being patriotic Canadian Citizens.
In my view, this was nothing more than pure out and out racism of the highest order.
yes Japan was an enemy of Canada at the time, but so was Germany, Italy. Never
heard of Italian or German Internment Camps for civilians.
Now there was German Prisoner of war camps and they did work on Prairie farms
in Manitoba and Saskatchewan but not civilian Internment Camps.
After all that, they never did find a Japanese Canadian Spy, this was purely an
act of racial hatred.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In my view, this was nothing more than pure out and out racism of the highest order.
yes Japan was an enemy of Canada at the time, but so was Germany, Italy. Never
heard of Italian or German Internment Camps for civilians.
Now there was German Prisoner of war camps and they did work on Prairie farms
in Manitoba and Saskatchewan but not civilian Internment Camps.
After all that, they never did find a Japanese Canadian Spy, this was purely an
act of racial hatred.
Not that I'm justifying the event, but I can empathize with officials, in regards to internment, given some of the known intel of the time.

I've never heard of Germany or Italy having a Kokugaku/Bakufu socio-political culture and ideology. With an Emperor that was considered a living God. You?

This is what happens when you try and revisit history, with a contemporary mindset. You make all manner of silly emotional appeals.

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
It is also a puzzle, we put the Japanese in these camps but no Germans were sent
to these holiday camps as it were.

Not so. Germans were sent to internment camps but not on the scale the Japanese were: usually German-Canadians sent had to be outspoken in support of the Nazis. My grandparents (ethnic Germans farming in Alberta) knew of some this happened too and talked of a) knowing to keep their mouths shut and b) not wanting anything to do with the insanity happening in Europe.

While I know that some of the reasoning behind the differentiation was racial (i.e. European descended politicians not trusting Asians) I think the fact that Japan's offensive ability seemed naval based (as demonstrated by Pearl Harbor and their campaign of island hopping across the Pacific), whereas the Nazis, while they had a navy and U-boats all over the Atlantic at times, were viewed more as a land-based power without the real means to press an offensive across the Atlantic.

The real sad fact is some of our business people who administered the assets of
the Japanese took on the job for a dollar. Ya right. The did it for a dollar but they
were allowed to profit from the assets of selling other peoples property and not
compensating them for it. They sold home, fishing boats, canneries and farms
without ever paying people for what they took. This is why the Japanese wanted
an apology for this miscarriage of justice.

I sympathize with the victims of the injustices but as others have pointed out:

- how many times do we, most of us who were either not born or too young to have been involved have to apologize for this?
- the Japanese did not abide by the western conventions of warfare (including adherence to the Geneva Convention) and committed repeated attrocities on prisoners and occupied civilians alike, far beyond mere imprisonment and seizure of property

I will say this: the Germans have abased and apologized on the international stage for the actions of the Nazis to such an extent that it is almost nauseating at times. They have gone perhaps too far, in that they have outlawed any use of Nazi symbolism, doctrine or anything related to the Nazis except for educational uses under pretty strict guidelines. While I am not an adherent or advocate that anything the Nazis did, I also think that this is getting pretty close to policing peoples' thoughts and beliefs and this is wrong to me: people should have the right to believe any stupidity they like, as long as they don't use it to justify criminal action. Now conversely, Japan's governments have made some vaguely worded and rather evasive statements over the years that do not admit the crimes they committed.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If you spoke out in favour of the Nazi movement you would be arrested, even if you were not
German. Nazism was illegal and we were at war, To support them was illegal as in treason
Not the same thing, Germans and others were arrested. This was not an internment camp
for innocent people these people were in fact criminals and traitors standing up for an enemy
in time of war. The Japanese were interned for no reason other than they were Japanese.
As for revisiting history this is nonsense. The only group that stood up for these people were
the CCF and many of these facts were pointed out during the time they were happening. I
heard about this stuff when I was a kid. I met some of the Japanese people who later came
to live in the Okanagan. Talk about racial, many of the Japanese people who were interned
had nothing to do with Japan other than their people came from there. Several families were
in fact Christians not even a part of Asian religions. That too was known at the time.
This is not a historical rewrite, it is a story of exploitation of the highest order for financial gain
and political gains. Many in politics used the slogan Beware of the Yellow Peril as far back
as the late 19Th century.
I suggest the only revisiting of history is being done to make it alright with the politically
correct crowd that wants to sanitize history and make it OK for those same bigots who did the
dastardly deed in the first place.
It is not about what was believed at the time, they knew at the time what they were doing.
How do you explain having a country with Japanese Canadians in uniform fighting in Europe
while their families were being put in internment camps. In America you had Black soldiers
fighting and dying for America in the name of freedom while their own families could eat
at a white lunch counter or use a white water fountain or washroom in a public place.
No we have a lot to answer for and the sooner we face our failing the better, without all those
polite excuses to let our parents and grandparents off the hook.
We speak of these acts but what about the nasty things that were done to the Native Peoples
not just two or three hundred years ago but just a half page back in history with the residential
schools? This happened in the twentieth century, where government and the Churches teamed
up to practice cultural genocide of a people. We will make them white by imprisoning them in
our schools and destroying their culture. These things were calculated and carried out as
part of our heritage and its time to fess up and then we can all move on.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You gleaned that from a question?

Hmm, but since you opened the door... let's see. Torture, live vivisection, murder, overt and purposeful cruelty.

Compared to...

Internment, confiscation and sale of property.

I know which one is horrid and which one I would prefer to go through. As some of my ancestors actually did.

Similarly, I remember my Grandfathers brother, telling me about how he was refused service in a bar where three POW's were having a cold one with their guards. After watching a movie in town.

Please spare me your insipid stupidity.

Bear we all know which was worse - One - the Japanese and Nazis slaughtered - committed mass murder

While we did not commit mass murders, live surgeries, infecting with diseases to monitor progress of the disease, placing Jews in frigid waters to see how long a German pilot would survive-
Both are wrong -
And GH is just so judgmental - and looking for a shxt fest

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Huge difference between concentration camps and internment camp, innocent people weren't burned in ovens in internment camps!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bear we all know which was worse - One - the Japanese and Nazis slaughtered - committed mass murder

While we did not commit mass murders, live surgeries, infecting with diseases to monitor progress of the disease, placing Jews in frigid waters to see how long a German pilot would survive-
Both are wrong -
All of it was wrong...

Given the very real cultural ideology that had permeated Japan since the late 1800's, I can see why internment was seen as the correct course of action at that time.

Confiscation of property/assets, mistreatment, squalled conditions, racial ignorance, however, is not.

Given he completely dismisses the abuse of children within the RCC, and the protection of those responsible, by the RCC, in another thread. I completely dismiss his silly logical inconsistency, as nothing more than simple trolling.

Huge difference between concentration camps and internment camp, innocent people weren't burned in ovens in internment camps!
Massive difference. It doesn't negate the seemingly criminal nature of the peripheral and punitive measures though.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Dress them up under what ever name you want - Canada called them Internment Camps - The Soviets, Khmer Rouge called them reeducation camps.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Both are wrong -

Degrees of blame are used by the guilty to assuage their guilt.