Canada, going down American Drains

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
We could build a half dozen water pipelines to the U.S. and sell our water wholesale. The problem is: How will we ever shut them off? Populations in the U.S. will grow and Canadian water will become a way of life that they would go to war to keep. Our water supply, like the oil, is not infinite. We shouldn't even be discussing this with them. Water should already be more valuable than oil.
I more or less agree with Juan. We would need assurences that we can limit supply to adress enviornemantal concerns. There is also the issue of NAFTA and the world trade oranization. I don't know if we are alowed to give it free to Canadains but charge Americans for it. As a bare minium we would need to re-negotiate the trade agrements first.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Sixty percent of your freshwater gets dumped into the oceans. If you export a fraction of that water, to regions that need it, what did you lose? It's being dumped anyway.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sixty percent of your freshwater gets dumped into the oceans. If you export a fraction of that water, to regions that need it, what did you lose? It's being dumped anyway.

That sounds perfectly reasonable, but rivers are supposed to run into the ocean. The Colorado river used to flow majestically to the Gulf of California. So much water has been diverted for agriculture and human needs that the river is reduced to a trickle by the time it makes it to the Gulf and there is still a growing water shortage

Canada's fresh water from snow melt is going down every year. If we build water pipelines to the U.S., the demand will keep growing and in a few years we will be short of water, and then what?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I have much to add Juan however it would be a waste of space and my time trying to outdo your bias. Fortunately there are others who are willing and concerned for me to discuss and read up on this issue without having to navigate around the usual territorial peeing-posts as you set up.

Last edited:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
That sounds perfectly reasonable, but rivers are supposed to run into the ocean. The Colorado river used to flow majestically to the Gulf of California. So much water has been diverted for agriculture and human needs that the river is reduced to a trickle by the time it makes it to the Gulf and there is still a growing water shortage

Canada's fresh water from snow melt is going down every year. If we build water pipelines to the U.S., the demand will keep growing and in a few years we will be short of water, and then what?

Look, it's your water, quite frankly I really don't care what you do with it. It just seems silly to me you are willing to export oil ( a non renewable resource) and not water (a renewable resource). The amount of water on earth hasn't changed in billions of years.
Besides, as I mentioned earlier, it's not about draining your lakes and rivers, it's about capturing water that will end up going into the ocean anyway. You can literally ship water all over the world.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Besides, as I mentioned earlier, it's not about draining your lakes and rivers, it's about capturing water that will end up going into the ocean anyway. You can literally ship water all over the world.

The clean water is not the water at the mouth of the saint laurnce.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Water is a renewable resource. Unfortunately, fresh water isn't all as plentiful as you'd think.

http://www.unep.org/vitalwater/resources.htm

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/302/5650/1524.pdf

http://www.irn.org/basics/ard/index.php?id=biosci.html

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]There are more than 3.26E20 gallons of water on Earth. Less than three percent of all this water is freshwater and of that amount, more than two-thirds is locked up in ice caps and glaciers. Some of that is turning into seawater. A large portion of what is left isn't accessible. About 0.014% of the water on the planet can be used for drinking. [/FONT]
Increases in world population means increased water use and less availability on a per capita basis. In 1989 there was some 9,000 cubic metres of freshwater per person available for human use. By 2000, this had dropped to 7,800 cubic metres and it is expected to plummet to 5,100 cubic metres per person by 2025, when the global population is projected to reach 8 billion.
People already use over half the world's accessible freshwater now, and may use nearly three-quarters by 2025. Over the twentieth century, the world annual water use has grown from about 300 km3 to about 2,100 km3
- http://www.lenntech.com

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Water is a renewable resource.

It really isn't. The Colorado River can't be replaced, nor any other river that has been used up. We have to learn that we aren't the only creatures using the rivers and lakes. I wonder how much longer we will be allowed to waste water on lawns and the like.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It really isn't. The Colorado River can't be replaced, nor any other river that has been used up. We have to learn that we aren't the only creatures using the rivers and lakes. I wonder how much longer we will be allowed to waste water on lawns and the like.

I certainly agree with you in that respect, however I meant the total quantity of water on earth has remained constant. But as you mentioned, it is mostly a regional shift.

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
water

I can't speak for people I don't know, but the St Lawrence swallowed the Empress of Ireland like it was a kid's toy boat. The flow into the ocean is almost beyond belief, surely to God, we can spare ten feet of water for the width of the river if only to help a freind in need. America knows it has to conserve water, it also knows that Canada can't even begin to defend itself. Of course, they often fight the wrong war, but they don't compel us to fight it with them. We have been living under the American defence umbrella for decades, lets stop concerning ourselves about animals, and start thinking about people.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I can't speak for people I don't know, but the St Lawrence swallowed the Empress of Ireland like it was a kid's toy boat. The flow into the ocean is almost beyond belief, surely to God, we can spare ten feet of water for the width of the river if only to help a freind in need. America knows it has to conserve water, it also knows that Canada can't even begin to defend itself. Of course, they often fight the wrong war, but they don't compel us to fight it with them. We have been living under the American defence umbrella for decades, lets stop concerning ourselves about animals, and start thinking about people.

Bull! During the height of the cold war Canada had four fighter/wings in Europe and we also contributed naval and army support. I was there.

Out of curiosty, for the last couple decades, who have we been defended against? Nobody that I know of.

BTW, the flow of the St. Lawrence into the ocean is part of the world ecology. Whales travel up to Quebec City.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Able: Thank you - for your opinion and that you had the courage to write it.

In addition I see you are a newbie so I welcome you and apologize for the rude beginning you have experienced.

Some people wear their tutu's too tight!

Last edited:

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
water

Spent 10 years for her majesty myself, army and air force. Most of my time was in NORAD, you must have been in during my time, namely 50s and 60s. That was the last time we had 4 complete wings, and they were a combination of cf100s and f86s. I installed smoke generators on the Golden Hawks, prior to going Radar ground C&W. I don't think the whales will miss 10 feet of water at the point where Ireland went down, after all, it is over 200 feet deep, and the current is so strong, that divers have to hold on to the wreck so they won't be swept away. I'm closer to 70 than I am to 60, and I never forget a favour. In my time, I have watched our military sink to the point where any banana republic can kick the living s**t out of us. If Afghanistan isn't indication enough, think about being invaded by a real heavyweight like Isreal.