Canada exports death in asbestos

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Do you suppose China would cry foul if they wanted asbestos? The only difference I can see is the consumer didn't ask for melamine in the milk, poison in the petfood or lead in the lego....

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Scott, I'm not looking for an argument, but a healthy debate would go a long way. Unfortunately, it's hard to carry on a civil conversation with someone who antagonizes like you do. When you're ready to put forth a solid rebuttal I'll politely respond. Until then...

My feminazi friend Oprah was over the other night. She brought her whips and chains. We had a wonderful evening....until Elizabeth May showed up.:p

Seriously, you have some major issues with Oprah that you should iron out soon. I think you secretly admire the rotund vixen, dontcha?;-)

Reactions: Scott Free

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
It looked like the surface of the moon around here... what with sulphur dioxide and nickel oxide emissions from four or five different smelting operations around Sudbury. It was even said the Apollo astronauts trained here before their missions because of the appearance. The fact is it was to learn how to spot occlusions in a meteor crater. 40 years, tons of limestone and many hours of tree planting later, Sudbury is greening. We still have the legacies of cancer and lung ailments. People aren't going to stop using nickel any time soon. I don't know enough about asbestos to suggest the same can be done there - but it's worth studying. You're not going to make it any less the carcinogen, but as long as there is a market, someone is supply the need and someone is going to make money from it. They're the ones who should be kicking in on health care and land reclamation ... just like Inco and Falconbridge (Vale Inco and Xtrada now) do here.

We can all take pride in the great work the city of Sudbury has done to reclaim the land. I remember reading an article in Canadian Geographic some years ago about that project. Glad to hear it's been successful. The landscape around Baie Verte will forever remain an eyesore. The company that started the mine, Johns Manville, left the area in 1981. The local government would never be able to afford such an undertaking as Sudbury has done.

How are your Sudbury Wolves doing this year?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
We can all take pride in the great work the city of Sudbury has done to reclaim the land. I remember reading an article in Canadian Geographic some years ago about that project. Glad to hear it's been successful. The landscape around Baie Verte will forever remain an eyesore. The company that started the mine, Johns Manville, left the area in 1981. The local government would never be able to afford such an undertaking as Sudbury has done.

How are your Sudbury Wolves doing this year?

Wolves are 3 wins 1 loss. I'd love to see 'em go all the way this year....

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
An update on the registry in Baie Verte. Now the push is on to study not only the miners but the families of those miners who brought home the harmful dust on their clothing every day.

NDP leader wants wider look at health issues related to Baie Verte asbestos mine
Newfoundland and Labrador NDP Leader Lorraine Michael says she’d like to see a broader study done on health issues related to the former asbestos mine in Baie Verte.
She says miners who were exposed to the fibres may not show signs of illness for 20 to 40 years and it would not be a stretch to think many more people could become ill - even if they never actually worked in the mine.
Michael says that would include spouses, children of miners and anyone who lived in the town - especially those whose homes were close to the operation.
She says miners would have gone home with asbestos on their clothes and it could have easily been transferred to family members.
The registry is being put together by the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission and United Steelworkers Union with the help of the Baie Verte Peninsula Miners’ Action Committee.
The mine shut down almost 20 years ago.

http://www.thewesternstar.com/index.cfm?sid=242027&sc=506

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Health Canada report ties asbestos to lung cancer

By Sarah Schmidt, Canwest News ServiceApril 16, 2009

OTTAWA — Health Canada sat for more than a year on a report by a panel of international experts that concludes there is a "strong relationship" between lung cancer and chrysotile asbestos mined in Canada.

Health Canada received the report in March 2008, resisting calls from the panel chairman to release the findings despite his plea last fall that the delay was "an annoying piece of needless government secrecy."
Canwest News Service obtained the report under Access to Information legislation, but the request took more than 10 months to process.

Looks like our government is still trying to put up roadblocks surrounding this industry. Too bad suckers. Keep ducking the issue but the people will have their day.