Canada aims to double intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000: McCallum

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Re: Syrian refugees in Canada could hit 50,000 next year, says McCallum

Boomer joined CC in 2008 and has 19,000+ posts.

Two years later Mentalfloss joined CC in 2010 and has 21,000+ posts.

Does someone need a math lesson?

I am flossman, hear me whoar.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Boomer joined CC in 2008 and has 19,000+ posts.

Two years later Mentalfloss joined CC in 2010 and has 21,000+ posts.

Does someone need a math lesson?

Those are mostly responses to CDNBear's tripe.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

There's no doubt that many of our own people are suffering (both north of 60 and south of 50) but I don't see the common sense of putting more people into the same desperate straits. By bringing them here, for everyone's benefit we want them to succeed and have access to good jobs, schools, heath facilities etc. If there are vacant jobs in a mine up north, I would certainly reccommnend locating someone with the appropriate experience up there, but not with the intention of causing him suffering and grief. Our own people are a separate issue and I agree if we are going to spend $700 million on refugees, spending $700 million on upgrading our own people wouldn't be out of line!
I wasn't seriously suggesting that we actually settle them up there. But your response does show that if it's not good enough for the refugees, then why the hell is it good enough for those already living in those conditions?

Govts are like individuals. It's much easier emotionally, to focus on solving someone else's problem(s) than it is to shine the spotlight on our own, reflect on them and then do something about them. That takes genuine effort and change.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that we actually settle them up there. But your response does show that if it's not good enough for the refugees, then why the hell is it good enough for those already living in those conditions?

Govts are like individuals. It's much easier emotionally, to focus on solving someone else's problem(s) than it is to shine the spotlight on our own, reflect on them and then do something about them. That takes genuine effort and change.

Many of the ones living up there have been acclimatized for a few thousand years! How long does it take a person who is used to 40C to get used to - 40C?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I suppose what a person would choose for himself might not be good to impose on someone else. :)
(I had a boss that was an A$$hole that way) :) :)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Funny how our moral and intellectual superiors can't differentiate between the populous having a problem with the "plan". Not the "people".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This refugee charade seems to be playing out like 95% of us knew it would & some of us even told the politicians!! If they expect longevity in Ottawa, they better start listening! :)

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Politicians and media are playing up the support for refugees and ignoring the opposition. I don't know the majority numbers but I know people are talking and very few are talking support. There are too many negative ramifications to be ignored. Not just the security issue, but the sinking economy and the needs of our own needy being ignored.
How are widowed refugee women with children, most of whom cannot even speak the language, going to be able to support themselves in an economy where jobs are scarce?