Can muslims be good canadians?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The natural form of governance for a Muslim state is a Theocracy. The Qur'an specifies in detail the role of government and subject and recognizes NO separation of Church and State. The sheer irreconcilability between Islam, in any form of scriptural purity, and the modern Western Nation State, is evident where Muslim populations in Europe have reached levels of density and political influence beyond the marginal, and are always oriented to most literal interpretation of Islam which sees democracy, and most forms of individuality, as Satanic.

Funny that the most populous nation of Muslims in the World is not a Theocracy, and is not in fact based on a literal interpretation of the Qur'an. It appears that local circumstances matter more than the Qur'an does.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

What has that got to do with anything, JLM? I don’t deny that they call themselves Christians, what I said is that they are not ‘good’ Christians (the way religious right claims that moderate Muslims are not ‘good’ Muslims).

If religious right can claim that moderate Muslims are not ‘good’ Muslims, only the extremists, the terrorist bombers are ‘good’ Muslims, then I am also free to claim that only the right wing extreme nuts, those who hate gays, bomb abortion clinics etc. are ‘good’ Christians.

I am really illustrating the absurdity of the argument by religious right (and the premise of this thread).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Funny that the most populous nation of Muslims in the World is not a Theocracy, and is not in fact based on a literal interpretation of the Qur'an. It appears that local circumstances matter more than the Qur'an does.

I assume you are referring to Indonesia. You are quite right. Indonesians proudly proclaim that while their religion is Muslim, their culture is Hindu.

You will find Sanskrit names everywhere in Indonesia, starting with their airline (‘Garuda’, it means eagle in Sanskrit). A major university in Jakarta is called ‘Trisakti University’, referring to the Hindu Trinity.

Plays, performances based upon Ramayana and Mahabharata (Hindu holy texts) are quite common in Indonesia. Indonesia is a fascinating blend of Islam and Hinduism.

Incidentally, the second biggest Muslim country in the world is India, and it isn’t a Theocracy either.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Considering Muzzies have been here for a very very long time this has to be the silliest question currently posted.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Here is the difference.

I was raised in a very fundamentalist Baptist family. My brother is gay. A fact which was accepted, with love, by our parents. He is also intensely religious. He worked for years in a mainstream Christian Church in Toronto giving talks and working with clergy and laymen on integrating gays into the church.......he has a Masters in Divinity, and is currently working on A PhD in Divinity (Counselling) at a VERY conservative religious university....in VIRGINIA!!!!

Nobody, not a single person, in all these Christians.......many of them backwoods fundamentalist Baptists, has so much as insulted him purposely, much less assaulted him, stoned him, or tried to have him booted out of the church, or hanged.

Try THAT in a mosque.

There are some lunatics in the USA.....the guys that go to funerals of gays etc, but they are a couple of hundred psychotics....without ANY support in the wider church. Christianity is by nature ten thousand times as tolerant as Islam.

The nature of christianity is and was always totalitarian. The biggest opposition to gays in the west is obviously and blatantly christian and there isn't even room for debate about that fact. Time for you to review some real history Colpy, yer rusty mon.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What has that got to do with anything, JLM? I don’t deny that they call themselves Christians, what I said is that they are not ‘good’ Christians (the way religious right claims that moderate Muslims are not ‘good’ Muslims).

If religious right can claim that moderate Muslims are not ‘good’ Muslims, only the extremists, the terrorist bombers are ‘good’ Muslims, then I am also free to claim that only the right wing extreme nuts, those who hate gays, bomb abortion clinics etc. are ‘good’ Christians.

I am really illustrating the absurdity of the argument by religious right (and the premise of this thread).

How can a person who is not a Christian be a judge of who is a GOOD Christian?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The nature of christianity is and was always totalitarian. The biggest opposition to gays in the west is obviously and blatantly christian and there isn't even room for debate about that fact. Time for you to review some real history Colpy, yer rusty mon.
Freddy Phelps would say otherwise even when one of his one is gay.

Didn't we just go through a big "gays in the church" thing recently where all denominations paid out big cash ?

Very few people seem to realize the church was full of gays because it was the only place that accepted them.

I'd wager money that half of Jesus' disciples were fig packers because his teaching didn't exclude anyone.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My religion is better than yours! Nanananana!
This topic is childish beyond belief. All religion is dangerous when its adherents think they are the only true followers and all others are wrong. Many religious people just practice what they believe and don't condemn others. You don't see Hindus or Buddhists on here making absurd claims about themselves being better than others. Fundamentalists are the problem because they are insecure and need a boogie man to hate so they can feel better about themselves.

How do we tolerate intolerance?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Didn't we just go through a big "gays in the church" thing recently where all denominations paid out big cash ?

Very few people seem to realize the church was full of gays because it was the only place that accepted them.

I'd wager money that half of Jesus' disciples were fig packers because his teaching didn't exclude anyone.

This reminds me of the sixties when blacks were finally allowed in the Mormon church because a significant number of them were reaching middle class status. It is all about money. Gays are allowed and tolerated in some churches because they have liquid cash assets.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This reminds me of the sixties when blacks were finally allowed in the Mormon church because a significant number of them were reaching middle class status. It is all about money. Gays are allowed and tolerated in some churches because they have liquid cash assets.
If churches were really about caring and sharing communion would be at least a whole dinner roll and a couple swigs of wine to wash it down.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Thanks for so aptly demonstrating that you don't have to be religious to be an ignorant bigot. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"That follow link dispells that myth, S.J. Population by religion, by province and territory (2001 Census)"

Does not matter, JLM. SirJosephPorter dismisses anything and EVERYTHING he disagrees with as unreliable, usually with: "What does that have to do with anything....".

When you read any of SirJosephPorter's post starting thus, you can pretty well ignore the rest.

That's not at all surprising, Yukon, people who lack debating skills tend to do that. If he was to attend debating school for a semester, he may be able to operate on a par with us old debaters (but that's debatable)..............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: