Bush: Wolfowitz to Be 'Strong' World Bank Chief

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: 8)

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Bono? Have you lost your mind, Rev? Surely you don't really believe that a professional musician could have a working knowledge of things you can't play or shout into :wink: . Next you'll suggest electing ignorant b-movie actors to the US Presidency. Hohoho! Wait, hehe, I've got an idea - how about getting Arnold Schwartzeneggar to run for Governor of a large state? No, no, bear with me - he could call himself "The Governator" (geddit?), that would really wow the voters! Oh, ok. I suppose that would be a bit ridiculous, eh?

As for Wolfowitz - in an earlier incarnation, he once wrote of the importance of reducing poverty in solving global conflict, so you never know (yeah, right). Personally, I can't help thinking that any future help from the World Bank is going to have significant strings attached.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Bush: Wolfowitz to Be

Given the mood in the developing world right now, I would guess that the World Bank will be overwhelmed with countries taking full advantage of their loans, but refusing to repay the money.

They can't afford not to take the money, but they've seen the trap that the neo-conservative/neo-liberal policies lead to. Not only have they seen the trap, they've had to bury the bodies.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Bush: Wolfowitz to Be 'Strong' World Bank Chief

**Not Even Vaguely Related To The Topic**

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Paul Wolfowitz

“It was into this environment that Paul Wolfowitz obtained his education and entered government. He received his undergraduate degree in mathematics from Cornell in 1965 and went on to obtain a doctorate in political science from the University of Chicago in 1972. In 1973, he took his first paid job in government (he had previously been an intern at the Bureau of the Budget) at the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency.”

http://www.dkosopedia.com/index.php/Paul_Dundes_Wolfowitz

Bono
OTHER OCCUPATIONS/INTERESTS: Activist. Screenwriter. Orator. Amateur thespian.

In school, Bono was a popular kid and a half-decent student. He excelled in history, chess and art, was considered a good painter, and had many girlfriends who adored his romantic, sweet-talking ways...although it was the feisty, no-bull nature of his dark-haired sweetheart Alison Stewart which eventually got him to become a "one woman" man.

http://www.atu2.com/band/bono/

enough said?

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Not really, Jay: I took Rev's original statement regarding Bono to be a tongue in cheek statement, inferring that he would prefer to see somebody other than Wolfowitz in this position. You've made too much of a non-existent competition between these two, and missed the point as a result. So what if Wolfowitz graduated from Cornell? Anyone who can afford to can do that. More importantly, his more recent record, ie Iraq, displays miscalculation and rank exaggeration, and the grand neo-con vision in which he operates is not what the world's poor need right now. At least someone like Bono would have the interests of those people at heart, and not the interests of some narrow corporate elite.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Not really, Jay: I took Rev's original statement regarding Bono to be a tongue in cheek statement, inferring that he would prefer to see somebody other than Wolfowitz in this position.

Thank you Henry. It's good to seem somebody around here gets it.

Even after explanations like:
Bono wasn't my choice...he was first put forth as a candidate jokingly by members of the international press. Some people began taking it seriously and it became an even bigger joke because, after the appointment of John R. Bolton to the UN it was clear that Bono would be a better choice than anybody that Bush was likely to nominate for the position.

You really don't pay much attention to what's going on in the world, do you?

they still didn't get it.

There are candidates who are obvious...qualified, knowledgable, respected. Instead Bush chose to put forth a partisan hack who is despised in the international community, has less experience than the average rock star, and has a record of killing people for money.

That sends a message for sure.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Seems Bush is the only one who does think that Wolfowitz would be a good choice as World Banker...

:lol: You used Bush and "think" in the same sentence. :lol:

If you look at the pattern of appointments since the election...(Skank for Me) Condi Rice, John R Bolton to the UN (thought somebody had slipped me acid when I first heard that one), and now Wolfie to the World Bank, Bush clearly thinks he is running things.

I think he's about to find out exactly how wrong he is. Bolton's appointment pissed a lot of people off, especially in Europe and the developed parts of Asia. Wolfie's appointment is like salt in a open wound for most of the developing world.

There are going to be a lot of people who simply won't deal with the US as a result. Bush is making himself a non-entity.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Bono or not... I prefer having my neighbor's jackass run the world bank rather than this neocon liar son-of-a-*** liar, killer and so on.

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver
While you lot are busy shooting at each other, I haven't seen a single serious candidate who Bush could nominate with a decent chance of being accepted.
Is Colin Powell too tainted?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Bush: Wolfowitz to Be

Because of the narrow nature of the Bush administration, he would have had to find somebody who wasn't directly connected to them, Wetcoast. There are plenty of candidates kicking around though...people from the diplomatic and NGO communities, mostly.

That would have the added benefit of at least giving the appearance of de-politicizing the posting because the World Bank already has a reputation problem.

Just about anybody would have been better than Wolfie though. He has no real experience dealing with developing countries, is despised and mistrusted in the international community, and is wholly inadequate for the gig. His appointment is an insult to the international community, just as John Bolton's appointment to the UN was.

Powell wouldn't have been a good choice, but he certainly would have been better. Of course the dog that's licking my toes right now would have been a better choice than Wolfie, so that's not saying much.

Bush is sending a signal that he will continue to act unilaterally and serve only the immediate interests of his campaign contributors. That will get him shut down internationally in a hurry.