Bus Driver Calls Police Because Passenger Spoke English

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
was it not an act of gross arrogance when french scuba divers snuck into Auckland harbour and blew up the Rainbow Warrior at the warf, killing the skipper and a crew member?????

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Oddly I was just leaving Montreal when the flight attendant gave me a copy of the "Post" with a blurb of that incident on the top of the front page. My experiences in Montreal aren't bad, there are a lot of folks who speak a lot of languages other than French, and English for that matter. Try heading up to the nether regions and many folks don't know a sniff of anything but Quebec French, no wonder the the Germans could park their U-boats in the St Laurence, take the dinghy to shore and swig beers with the locals during the war, they had no idea a war was going on.

But while I'm anywhere in Quebec I am constantly addressed in French so I started answering, "Я не понимаю", pronounced Ya nih pahneemahyoo, or "I don't understand". Flusters the heck out of them. Or else the Newfie phrase, "Поцелуйте мою задницу", pronounced Potselooeetye myoo zadneetsoo, or, kiss me arse. At least I'm trying to learn another language, and one that will probably be more useful.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Funny thing about French: you translate a simple 10 or 15 word sentence from English and you end up with 3 paragraphs of French. Makes a John Wayne movie in French seem like 5 hours long. Kind of like Gaeilge: "thanks" is "Go raimh maith agat"

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
was it not an act of gross arrogance when french scuba divers snuck into Auckland harbour and blew up the Rainbow Warrior at the warf, killing the skipper and a crew member?????

There is just a tad bit of difference between the two situations Stretch.:roll:

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
There is just a tad bit of difference between the two situations Stretch.:roll:
yep I agree, but, still french arrogance...in both cases........I guess if I delved, I could come up with more instances........just the fact that quebec wishes to be a seperate country from Canada is enough.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
yep I agree, but, still french arrogance...in both cases........I guess if I delved, I could come up with more instances........just the fact that quebec wishes to be a seperate country from Canada is enough.

Not all of Quebec wants to do that. That is like saying that all French people are arrogant. That just isn't the case.