Black chick denied bling.........

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, basically I find it somewhat offensive that a 35K handbag even exists in the first place but somewhat in furtherance of what you are saying...

...kind of says a lot about the caliber of 'suffering' that goes on when someone doesn't get to handle the merchandise doesn't it?
It's true this isn't newsworthy. But then, the thousands of times every day non-whites are harassed or denied service don't make the papers.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I read an article about an Arab Sheik that bought a new Rolls Royce (or Bentley or some such expensive car) and had it factory modified to accommodate a larger space in the back seat area to allow for an attendant to be able to wash his feet whilst travelling.

The factory mods cost more that the original ticket price of the car.

See now that is a grotesque waste of money from my point of view. Ostentatious, irrespective of how much of it a person has to spend.

Oprah always had the option to pull out the platinum card and buy the damn thing (just to 'show' the clerk)... In fact, I would have imagined that the potential purchaser would have bought the damn thing on spec anyways without needing to sully their hands by actually touching the bag
She (the clerk) may very well have looked down upon her for the colour of her skin. Or it could be the way she was dressed, if she was dressed 'down' so to speak. Or it could simply be because the sales clerk is a freaking snob herself and is rude to everyone. Who the hell knows. But while I can certainly buy that it may have been due to racist tendencies on the part of the sales clerk, I just don't buy the whole 'victimization' or 'suffering' part of it.

It's true this isn't newsworthy. But then, the thousands of times every day non-whites are harassed or denied service don't make the papers.

No it doesn't, not really. And that's a crying shame to be honest. Because it's the everyday stuff that we should be getting worked up and enraged over.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sometimes they get reported on

Zimbabwe's "Blacks-Only" Stock Exchange

.. But then again, maybe it was billed in the news as denying service to Asians and Aboriginals
Funny part is that your notion of reporting racial discrimination is limited to the rare cases whites get discriminated against.

It's OK, I understand what you're doing. You're implying that the few, minor cases of anti-white discrimination anywhere in the world are the same as the mountain of anti-non-white discrimination in North America, so there's no reason to disapprove of or fight discrimination.

It's called the "false equivalency."

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
She (the clerk) may very well have looked down upon her for the colour of her skin. Or it could be the way she was dressed, if she was dressed 'down' so to speak. Or it could simply be because the sales clerk is a freaking snob herself and is rude to everyone. Who the hell knows. But while I can certainly buy that it may have been due to racist tendencies on the part of the sales clerk, I just don't buy the whole 'victimization' or 'suffering' part of it.

There's an assumption that she was denied service due to her being black - and quite frankly, we do not know this to be the case.

This is one of the reasons that I brought-up the cost of the item. In my eyes, that is a big reason not to hand out the item

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Could it also be that since the clerk didn't "fawn" over her like she is used too in in the U S and other countries that she got a bit peeved, and blew things out of proportion?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
It's called the "false equivalency."

Interesting... I always thought that denial of opportunity based solely on a racial trait was referred to as 'racial discrimination'.

Could it also be that since the clerk didn't "fawn" over her like she is used too in in the U S and other countries that she got a bit peeved, and blew things out of proportion?

That's a part of the discrimination thingy

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There's an assumption that she was denied service due to her being black - and quite frankly, we do not know this to be the case.

This is one of the reasons that I brought-up the cost of the item. In my eyes, that is a big reason not to hand out the item

You're right, that is the assumption. Of course, just because it's an assumption doesn't necessarily make it untrue either. But there are other plausible explanations, one of which could be what you mentioned.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
You're right, that is the assumption. Of course, just because it's an assumption doesn't necessarily make it untrue either. But there are other plausible explanations, one of which could be what you mentioned.

It sure can't hurt to consider as many possibilities as possible, but judging from the tone in this thread, it looks like the clerk has already been branded with the racist label

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It sure can't hurt to consider as many possibilities as possible, but judging from the tone in this thread, it looks like the clerk has already been branded with the racist label
I don't think so, but she did show prejudice. We do not know what that resulted from. Could have been Winfrey with no makeup on and being her normal loud obnoxious self.

Regardless she was not treated properly.

In those stores they should be all over you like white on rice.

The clerk erred. It well may have been skin colour, that is something that will never be known.

As a white person living in a predominantly white area I have not experienced a problem with service so have no idea what it would feel like or the triggers that would be initiated in an individual who came up as hard as Winfrey came up.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Does anyone notice things like B.E.T. "Black Entertainment TV". Slate magazine. Black only schools all over North America. Along with hundreds of obvious reverse (but oddly legal) racism situations. Ssshh! Quiet!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Put it into perspective people with a billion dollars or more don't see a 35 thousand
dollar wallet or purse or both extravagant. After all enormous wealth is just money.
They earn it the spend it. In fact we all buy things that cost too much because we
like that item. Just watch Christmas Shoppers. Again they are nuts they are not
greedy selfish people they are a product of what they become and their wealth
enables them to buy what they want when they want. Can't wait for them to come
to the Okanagan I will sell them a 35 thousand dollar box of apples in a retro wooden
box.
This is hardly even a story as these people buy these things every day

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
She made her money legally........she can buy whatever she wants!

disagree. Yoda's love must be won, you Jedi heretic..

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I await your evidence.

Do you want BS law or the real world? Google or Bing are full of the real world.

Black-only school in Toronto? | The Frame Problem

Black school - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See also: Auto-segregation and White flight
According to the Civil Rights Project at Harvard University, the desegregation of U.S. public schools peaked in 1988; since then, schools have become more segregated because of changes in demographic residential patterns with continuing growth in suburbs and new communities. Jonathan Kozol has found that as of 2005, the proportion of Black students at majority-white schools was at "a level lower than in any year since 1968."[7] Changing population patterns, with dramatically increased growth in the South and Southwest, decreases in old industrial cities, and much increased immigration of new ethnic groups, have altered school populations in many areas.
Black school districts continue to try various programs to improve student and school performance, including magnet schools and special programs related to the economic standing of families. Omaha proposed incorporating some suburban districts within city limits to enlarge its school-system catchment area. It wanted to create a "one tax, one school" system that would also allow it to create magnet programs to increase diversity in now predominately white schools. Ernest Chambers, a 34-year-serving African-American state senator from North Omaha, Nebraska, believed a different solution was needed. Some observers said that in practical terms, public schools in Omaha had been re-segregated since the end of busing in 1999.[8]
In 2006, Chambers offered an amendment to the Omaha school reform bill in the Nebraska State Legislature which would provide for creation of three school districts in Omaha according to current racial demographics: black, white and Hispanic, with local community control of each district. He believed this would give the African-American community the chance to control a district in which their children were the majority. Chambers’ amendment was controversial. Opponents to the measure described it as "state-sponsored segregation".[9]
The authors of a 2003 Harvard study on re-segregation believe current trends in the South of white teachers leaving predominately black schools is an inevitable result of federal court decisions limiting former methods of civil rights-era protections, such as busing and affirmative action in school admissions. Teachers and principals cite other issues, such as economic and cultural barriers in schools with high rates of poverty, as well as teachers' choices to work closer to home or in higher-performing schools. In some areas black teachers are also leaving the profession, resulting in teacher shortages.[10]