Beware of statisics, they can be very misleading

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you're right of course......what the hell do I know...I only live here.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Are you talking to me? I didn't minimize anything, I relayed what was on the news.

You implied that a city who has seen a skyrocketing unemployment rate, hasn't actually been suffering, and that it's all a trick of sensationalizing the statistics.

It came across as minimizing it to me.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You implied that a city who has seen a skyrocketing unemployment rate, hasn't actually been suffering, and that it's all a trick of sensationalizing the statistics.

It came across as minimizing it to me.

Perhaps you should reread the original post. I have two kids who work in Alberta, I know how bad the employment situation is. That wasn't the subject of the post.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, sorry JLM, but your point seems to have been hidden.

You seemed pretty clearly to be saying that you feel people are gobbling up sensationalist statistics regarding unemployment. If you were saying something else, I don't seem to be the only one not seeing it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, sorry JLM, but your point seems to have been hidden.

You seemed pretty clearly to be saying that you feel people are gobbling up sensationalist statistics regarding unemployment. If you were saying something else, I don't seem to be the only one not seeing it.

I think what's missing is that while employment levels in Alberta are terrible, there are other parts of Canada where they are even worse, like here in B.C. where all the core industries are down...........logging, fishing, mining and now construction, but what is misleading about the figures reported is that in B.C. we've always had a level of unemployment so percentage wise our figures don't look as gloomy. The fault lies in reporting percentages instead of raw numbers. As for your quote that you don't seem to be the only one not seeing it. Correct- the other one is Gerry.:lol::lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I took his point to be that a 'skyrocketing unemployment rate' isn't very meaningful, if it's starting from almost zero.

If you start with a low number, and you triple it, you're still far better off than someone who started with a high number and a lower increase.

Using figures like 'a 300% increase' is only used to sensationalize what is not, in the end, a big problem in comparison to other regions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I took his point to be that a 'skyrocketing unemployment rate' isn't very meaningful, if it's starting from almost zero.

If you start with a low number, and you triple it, you're still far better off than someone who started with a high number and a lower increase.

Using figures like 'a 300% increase' is only used to sensationalize what is not, in the end, a big problem in comparison to other regions.

Exactly. TP. Why couldn't I have thought to put it in those words? Have a good day.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There isn't anything misleading about reporting the percent change over a period. One could equally say that the wording starting from almost zero is misleading. It's vague. Is 4 per cent close to zero, and 8 per cent not close to zero? How about 6 per cent?

If the rate jumps significantly in one region and not in others, then there is something noteworthy to investigate. Maybe the jobs in Alberta are a better indication of the strength of the economy. Maybe Alberta needs to prepare for a drop in provincial revenue. There's all sorts of scenarios one can consider when you have data available.

How would you report those findings JLM? Would you just report the raw numbers, like newly unemployed this month? Don't you think rate of change is important when you're discussing a period of time?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Statistics can be misleading depending upon the parameters that they're
based upon. Here's an example:

On the weekend I was listening to a radio program, and the topic turned to
homelessness. The guest speaker was talking about an area in the city of
Regina (North Central) and she'd stated that there where 10,000 homeless
people in that neighbourhood.

The Announcer (it was a national talk show) stopped her, as though he was
based in (I believe) Quebec, he'd been to Regina and didn't see 10,000
homeless people in that neighbourhood (which he'd been through).

After some questioning, it turns out that the 10,000 person claim was a
tad misleading in that anyone 35yrs old or older that didn't hold a mortgage
on their home (renting) was considered homeless...and their family would
also cound as homeless...and if four young men shared a home (roommates)
but only one was on the lease agreement, then three of those men would be
considered homeless...and so on and so forth.

It doesn't mean that there aren't homeless people in that neighbourhood, but
the numbers where sure jiggered with for sensationalism.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You got the picture Ron, for Tonington's benefit I am going to give another for instance In 2008 Town A had 100 people unemployed, Town B had 10,000 people unemployed. In 2009 Town A has 1000 people unemployed Town B has 20,000 people unemployed. Now if a reporter wanted to give impression that Town A was in dire straits all he has to do is report that unemployment has increased 1000% in one year, compared to Town B (which is far worse off) which has only increased 100%. I stand by my contention (are you paying attention S.J.?) that statistics can be misleading.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
There were close to 15000 more people unemployed in Calgary last month. 15000 more, that's a far cry from 3 or 4.
Gerry, JLM is simply pointing out the thing that many of us have in the past - Statistics are stupid and unreal. Plus - in most if not all cases, they are fixed to suit the person/company that needs them in their favour. Sounds like this one is simply a reporter wanting to sound intelligent.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Exactly, TenPenny. That is the way I took it to be, too.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You got the picture Ron, for Tonington's benefit I am going to give another for instance In 2008 Town A had 100 people unemployed, Town B had 10,000 people unemployed. In 2009 Town A has 1000 people unemployed Town B has 20,000 people unemployed. Now if a reporter wanted to give impression that Town A was in dire straits all he has to do is report that unemployment has increased 1000% in one year, compared to Town B (which is far worse off) which has only increased 100%. I stand by my contention (are you paying attention S.J.?) that statistics can be misleading.

You can't say that town B is worse off in your example. What if Town A has a population of 1500 working aged, and Town B has a working aged population of 50,000? Town A now has a higher percentage of unemployed workers, even though Town B lost an absolute greater number.

You still didn't answer my question. How would you report the job loss trend in Alberta?

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Ron is right; when the parameters are well-defined and the error margin is defined, statistics are bloody useful in indicating many sorts of issues. Stats are hardly stupid and unreal.
For instance, statistics show that BC is the worst province in Canada for poor children at the moment. CBC News - British Columbia - B.C.'s child poverty rate still Canada's highest Is it stupid to point out how BC stands? Is the data unreal?:roll:
After collecting the data from satellites and other instruments and assembling this data tells us that the trend in the global climate is to rising temperatures. Is that stupid or unreal?

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think what's missing is that while employment levels in Alberta are terrible, there are other parts of Canada where they are even worse, like here in B.C. where all the core industries are down...........

The statistics don't say there aren't worse places, they merely point out what rate the increases are taking place at. But there being worse places in Canada, doesn't make a 300% increase in one place a drastic or worrisome thing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You can't say that town B is worse off in your example. What if Town A has a population of 1500 working aged, and Town B has a working aged population of 50,000? Town A now has a higher percentage of unemployed workers, even though Town B lost an absolute greater number.

You still didn't answer my question. How would you report the job loss trend in Alberta?

Thanks Tonnington, you've just proved my point exactly, if you don't have ALL the figures you can't draw any conclusion (I forgot to cite in my example that both towns had the same population)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Also, statistical results' importance depends upon what statistics you use and what you are portraying with them.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
An interesting one would be Crime Statistics. If over time the parameters
of what is being measured is modified, the numbers can be manipulated
showing an increase or decrease based on who's wanting what funding.

For example, if people stop reporting crimes that the police just do not
even respond to....does that mean that there is less crime? Assuming
the statistics (data) are collected based on reported crimes. If your
BBQ is stolen (or bicycle, or whatever) and the police only give you a
file # without doing anything else, and your insurance deductable is
$700 (more than the value of the items stolen), did a crime take
place?

If automobile insurance companies change the deductibles from $500
to $2500...and thus less minor accidents are handled by insurance
claims and more are handled privately, does that mean there are less
accidents? Assuming the statistics (data) are gathered from the insurance
industry.