best Video game you remember having?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Graphic User Interfaces became a part of Operating Systems a long time ago..... in other words, Windows 3.11 and earlier 3.x versions were Operating Systems that provided a GUI for the user to reference........

Windows 3.1x - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Windows 3.1x is a series of 16-bit operating systems produced by Microsoft for use on personal computers. The series began with Windows 3.1, which was first sold during March 1992 as a successor to Windows 3.0. Further editions were released between 1992 and 1994 until the series was superseded by Windows 95."

Operating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Mac OS by Apple Computers became the first widespread OS to feature a graphical user interface. Many of its features such as windows and icons would later become commonplace in GUIs."

To claim Windows 3.11 wasn't an OS makes about as much sense as claiming the OS you're using right now isn't an OS.

yup...ok

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Nice list, Praxius!:)

One of my favourite games of all times is Ultima IV: The Quest Of The Avatar for the Commodore 64(better than the PC version since it actually had music and better graphics). I still find myself humming the various pieces of music to that game many years later.:)

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Too many games to list off.

Systems in order of use:
Atari
Vic 20
Intellivision
Colecovision
Nintendo Entertainment System
Commodore 64/128
Sega Master System
Gameboy
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Sega Genesis
Playstation
Nintendo 64
Dreamcast
Virtual Boy
Playstation 2
XBox
Nintendo Gamecube
Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii

And of course Personal Computers dating back to when Windows 3.11 was the main Operating System (played Doom and Doom II) up to today. I suspect I forgot a few consoles here and there.

Wow! I've always played PC games, except my youngest gave me a Wii a year or so ago with the sports games & she bought all the fancy "equipment" - like the tennis raquet with the cute LED lights. Then I bought the Wii Fit stuff 'cos I thought maybe I'd use that. :::guiltily eyeing shelving unit cupboards where they're all still waiting...::: Are Wii games good? I like 'thinking'/action/RPG/mystery type games? Any suggestions?

PC games I liked best: All the Star War Games & some of the spin off's.
Siberia & Siberia II were excellent.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Halflife2...best ever!
Rise of the Triad....awesome!
Postal2...a tad sick but somehow fun.
Doom3
Quake4
Zork3
Heavenly Sword
Halo3
Dead Space
Mario Cart for Game Cube
Resident Evil...all
Unreal Tournament
Star Wars Unleashed....wicked sick!
Hitman2
GoldenEye for 64
Resisdence
Turok 1&2 for 64....greeeeeeeat!
Duke Nukem 3D
Portal
Descent
Metroid Prime
Serious Sam
Double agent
GRAW
Oblivion
Tie Fighter
Shadows of the Empire
Dark Forces II
Pod Racer
Doom 64
All Grand Turismos
.....all I can think of right now.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
My favourite game is Megaman II for the NES system. I also had a Sega Master System, like you Chiliagon, but I didn't like the games as much. The NES and the Sega System were my two only video game consoles until I got the PS3 in 2007. The PS3 has now been hacked so within the next couple of days, I'll have emulators running on the thing so I can get megaman up and running :)

Oh and one of my PC favs was Commander Keen 1 - 4.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I can't post roms on this site. I wish I could share with you Johnnny! You can find megaman roms on the net.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
For which system?

It will be for Windows. Source uses the Halflife 2 engine for many different games(they also made a version of Ultima VII using it). There is a Wikipedia page on it if you are interested. So far, it is only Multiplayer(it is in Beta stage 4), but it may get the single-player treatment at a later date.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Ok, I'm just getting started on xbox. My kids gave me the system for christmas last year.

EA Games NHL2011. Started off as an amateur in Be A Pro mode and in 5 games I was drafted 1st overall by the Colorado Avalanche. I'm tearing up the NHL with assists. My nickname is Mel Gibson if you see me on xbox live.

Sure beats Pong, although I still have a soft spot in my heart for that game.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Wow! I've always played PC games, except my youngest gave me a Wii a year or so ago with the sports games & she bought all the fancy "equipment" - like the tennis raquet with the cute LED lights. Then I bought the Wii Fit stuff 'cos I thought maybe I'd use that. :::guiltily eyeing shelving unit cupboards where they're all still waiting...::: Are Wii games good? I like 'thinking'/action/RPG/mystery type games? Any suggestions?

PC games I liked best: All the Star War Games & some of the spin off's.
Siberia & Siberia II were excellent.
Well we have a pile of Wii games ourselves.... which we'll be either selling or giving away soon since we'll be off to another country soon and I doubt they'd play properly.

I'd Check out the Zelda Games, Metroid Prime 3 (Or the Trilogy), My wife's into the Harry Potter game that was based on the last movie.... you can make potions and whip out spells like the controller's a wand, etc....... And I'd highly recommend any of the Prince of Persia games for the Wii, especially any of the recent ones...... they were made by Ubisoft Montreal and the music was all made by Stuart Chatwood from a little Canadian Rock band called The Tea Party..... very fun and the stories are impressive. (The Disney movie, while good, didn't really do the Prince of Persia story justice)

There's a few Final Fantasy games for the Wii if you're into RPG, but I can't say I've played them.... but I imagine they're worth a spin.

There's also the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games..... don't feel bad sucking on easy because it took me months to get somewhat decent and only after three years or so have I been able to move to Hard...... but the music selections are vast and I imagine there's a number of songs you'll come across that you'd love to play..... it's not all tied to recent music or one particular genre.

Besides all that, hooking the Wii to the internet and playing online is all free and on top of all that, there's the Wii Store where you can buy and download onto your system, thousands of classic games from the Atari, Commodore 64, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Turbo Graphix 16, Neo Geo, and a bunch more..... not to mention all the WiiWare games designed specifically for the Wii you can buy online and play on your system.

And.... All Gamecube games, memory cards and controllers all fit into the Wii, so if there's a Gamecube game you'd like to try that you see at a game store or local flea market, pick it up and pop it in the Wii.

^ So to say the least, if you have a Wii, you have a vast selection of games to choose from, from a vast selection of game systems.

.... But yeah, I hop on my WiiFit from time to time, but recently I've been too busy, it's just collecting dust.