Best Place to Live in a Globally Warmed World?

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
I'm no scientist, but it seems to me we need to prepare ourselves for the storms and temp changes that are a precursor to the imminent catastrophes to come.

Sea levels rising, that says mountainous regions, or at least very hilly and in areas where they are already many feet above sea level. It would also mean the main continent. People living on archipilegoes and islands had better move inland. PEI is a writeoff as is parts of NS, Cape Breton would be isolated. I'm not sure of the terrain of NF. The SeaWay valley is gone but in a shallow sea, much like in the Ordovician times. I 'm not sure but I think Eastern Ontario is on average 30Ft
above sea level, others may have the answer for that. Montreal may find the shore lapping at it's door..

Food chain changes in hot climate, that says mountainous regions. The thing is in mountainous regions sandy loam soil is not common, and there is a lot of surface acidic soils, so it would be a meagre solution and only for family needs. I imagine you would need a few acres as well to make up the difference. The slight temperature rise due to elevation would for a time help the crops.

An underground concrete building would be ideal and maintain a mean temperature all year round. Whether the building facing south is a good idea, I'm not sure. Animals would be a nuisance and the
large predators a real danger. It would be survival existance, and not simply an uncomfortable variation of what we have now.

For water needs, rainfall would be abundant, and some predict monsoon like weather in the northerm hemisphere. The mountain springs would still supply water, but more acidic or poor quality.

This assumes all else remaining equal, which won't happen, has the ocean's plankton, methane release from the tundra,etc will all play a part in the quality of the air. The Ozone will be wrecked and everyone would need to covered. I think the horse and buggy days for transportation and steam power for stationary power will come back.

I doubt if the world will be a nice place to live in and most people will be scratching out an existance. As vast areas become deserts and oceans claim lands, national boundaries will be useless and new conflicts will arise as people migrate ignoring them.

It's sad to say, but here is when the gun restrictions will hinder people who are trying to protect themselves and their families and food stocks. Police forces will no longer be effective given the overwhelming national chaos that will exist. Guns will be a "sell for gold" black market item in Canada, but be abundant in the US.

M2C

AndyF

Last edited:

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Sea levels rising--? Where when ,for how long

I do like to be prepared but you need to back up such reports --who said that and why

Fear is a great contro;l method its used all the time --insurance

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Mars

But it should be declared a poltician free zone in our solar system before I go.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Mars

But it should be declared a poltician free zone in our solar system before I go.

you should read Kim Stanley Robinson's "red mars, green mars and blue mars". An epic story. both the good and the bad of colonising mars, right from the start to when it's fully terraformed and a political power in its own right.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks Herm

I've always been a sci-fi buff.. I'll try and locate it in the library...

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Sea levels rising--? Where when ,for how long

I do like to be prepared but you need to back up such reports --who said that and why

Fear is a great contro;l method its used all the time --insurance

where?if sea levels rise they rise everywhere. sea levels rising is an obvious result of global warming, which is a known fact.

when? since global warming is a known fact, proven to all but the most stubborn of us, it's going to happen, and soon, if it isnt already happening just too slowly for measuring.

for how long? they'll stay risen as long as it doesnt get cold enough for the ice to re-form. I'd imagine we can essentially say for the foreseeable future. Stopping them rising may in fact be rather tough in itself, let alone turning the tide back again.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
you should read Kim Stanley Robinson's "red mars, green mars and blue mars". An epic story. both the good and the bad of colonising mars, right from the start to when it's fully terraformed and a political power in its own right.

i may not have been clear enough. it's three books. red mars, green mars, and blue mars. be prepared for a long read. it doesnt flow too well, the story is good but the telling isnt wonderful. each book is about 600-800 pages. still worth it though

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks Herm

I started reading the dictionary once because it's the only book that has everything in it...well that's what I thought... turns out the only book with everything in it is the phonebook and now I'm working on that...

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
If the melting ice caps shut down the Gulfstream current a new ice age couls ensue then we Canucks are f@#$ed. Wonder if genetic engineering can bring back the mammoth and wooly rhinocerous for us to hunt.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
the above is based on a theory rather than fact. we can't accurately predict what will result from global warming. we do know it could be pretty nasty though.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Ok so I get all prepared with my mars books, my sun suit, and my portable portables ,Im ready to go underground

when all of a sudden gobal freezing is the new threat

How can I prepared for both ??

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Yes ,OK That's it that's what the big mirrors are for ,OK

I feel like a weight has been lifted and I can once again focus on how I can reduce my personal energy consumption by 20 % ---whee ,gee I was a little torn there for a minute, all's well now though---Im gobally froze ,hey I wonder if this is like predicting the weather and how well everyone does that --lol

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The mirror jab was at GWB's idea to combat the global warming. Predicting weather is hard, climates a little easier.