Belinda Stronach appointed to Cabinet

Ted

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
Vancouver
I'm with you, mrmom2. Partisan politics is just a drug that dupes us into thinking we are free and sovereign.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Belinda Stronach appo

Politics...getting involved and trying to influence the direction of things...is also the only way we can achieve freedom.

Hunter Thompson called politics the art of controlling your own environment. I've seen nothing to indicate that he was wrong. Our freedom is lessened when we don't participate in politics because we are no longer trying to control our own environment. That leaves a vacuum that is inevitably filled by people who are all too happy to control our environments for us.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
So like automatons every 4 years we march off to the polls and thats freedom :roll: Unless you have wads of cash your out of the loop Rev You can talk till your blue in the face unless you have money you have zero power.It's called corporate rule

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Oddly enough, when you join a party you get to have some say. All you have to do is show up at meetings. Once you get involved, you find that people do want to hear your opinions. Even if your candidate doesn't win, the party you support will be represented on committees. in proportion to the number of seats they hold. Committees are where the real work gets done. They are where policy gets set.

Even parties that win no seats influence policy. As the Green Party has grown, the Liberals have begun to pay more attention to environmental concerns, for instance. That isn't an accident, they saw a trend and wanted to appeal to a certain group of voters. That sucks for the Greens, who lose votes because of it, but it is better for the environment than if the Greens never existed.

It's the same with participating in polls. When the phone rings and it's Ipsos-Reid on the line, tell them what you think. Politicians live and die by the polls and if they see things are moving left, they shift their policies accordingly.

The big poll happens when you vote though. If the NDP pick up a higher percentage of the popular vote this time, you can expect to see Liberal and, to a lesser extent, Conservative policies shift towards NDP policies. If the Conservatives make significant gains, then you'll see a shift towards their policies.

In your BC election, if Campbell sees a significant drop in his popular support, he will most likely soften his policies to make them more acceptable to the general public.

By not participating you are effectively saying that you don't care what they do to you. By not participating when there is a vote to change your electoral system, you are saying that you like things just fine the way they are.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

How come the Conservatives never notice that what they are doing is hurting the dollar? The upswing was predictable...the money boys hate instability and there are few things less stable than Stephen Harper. ;-)

bletchley

May 13, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Belinda Stronach appo

Reverend Blair said:
How come the Conservatives never notice that what they are doing is hurting the dollar?

Are you serious with that comment?? haha

That's comedy...the Conservatives, eh. Go to take a economics course.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Reverend Blair said:
By not participating you are effectively saying that you don't care what they do to you.

Must agree with you there. The best case in point in recent history is the Reform Party. They went from formation in the late 80's to (if I recall correctly) being the official opposition at one point. Quite an achievement. Of course they've now evolved into the current conservative party, which again came within a whisker of forming the government. Says tons about showing up. 8)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It is unlikely they will ever form government though, Facts...at least in any effective manner. Stronach crossing the floor just emphasizes that. Harper and the Reform/Alliance/Conservatives are far to the right of most Canadians, especially on social policy.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Well if the Conservatives are too far right, and the NDP is to far left, then I guess were looking at Liberal governments for many years to come.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I think we'll see a collapse of the right again, Jay. All indications are that Canadians are moving to left. That includes a lot of people who used to consider themselves conservatives, but have been alienated by the Harperites.

Belinda sent a signal today. Maybe the right should listen instead of doing the kind of ranting that Harper has been up to since her announcement.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I still think there is a rift between the old PC's and Reformers. I watched Newsworld and it seems public opinion is split, maybe a little more positive than negative on her leaving tories. Most opposition, naturally is from Alberta.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Reverend Blair said:
That includes a lot of people who used to consider themselves conservatives, but have been alienated by the Harperites.

In fact more by Harper himself. Maybe his policy and PR guys that motor him. He lost me last time by trying to make abortion an issue and calling Martin a child molestor. My vote disappeared on just those two silly little things. He lost me last week when I saw a commercial calling the Liberals monsters, and saying "Canada needs an election". Umm, no. I'll think for myself thank you very much. :wink:

Looks like the conservatives may have some extra time to win my vote now. :laughing1:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think it is a stretch to say that Canadians are moving to the left. Health care is being slowly moved into a direction of blended private and public delivery, and even the province of Quebec has the most private healthcare in the country, and they aren’t exactly considered a right wing province. Taxes are being cut, debt is being paid down, and globalization is in full force. The NDP (being the furthest legitimate left party) is loosing seats federally, and in Ontario at least, they haven't even been achieving official party status.

Belinda did send a signal today, I agree, and perhaps it's for the best.

The right does have a troublesome time these days selling its platform, but you must admit that withdrawing yourself from the spend policies of the left (as has happened recently) doesn't help buy Canadians votes.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

no1important said:
Harper is not a happy camper. He even hinted Belinda's and Peters relationship is in trouble over this.

A lover’s quarrel spilling into the public domain, how fun. Maybe it will peak peoples interest in politics though…

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Belinda Stronach appointed to Cabinet

Jay said:
Its crazy, how could someone who wanted to lead the Conservative Party, find herself comfortable among Liberals. Perhaps it’s best she crossed the floor, but I can't imagine she will win her seat again sitting as a Liberal. I had hopes for her too.

Crazy world.

Why would you say that, Jay? Aurora is maybe a little harder than Newmarket to gain votes, but it's not hard. Her constituency feeds off of Toronto culture, so I don't see it as impossible Newmarket voting Liberal. Last election was CLOSE between Libs and Cons.