Beating up Norway real good

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
We can still swagger a little. There are more kids playing organized hockey in Canada than any other country in the world. I'm sure that one day China will produce a perfect team of automatons who will beat everyone, but hockey in Canada has been unpaid coaches getting up at five thirty in the morning to lace up twenty pairs of skates and teaching kids the finer points of the game. I did it for almost twenty years and so did thousands of others, for love of the game.

Having more kids playing (not sure if that's true) and losing isn't something to swagger over.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Having more kids playing (not sure if that's true) and losing isn't something to swagger over.

When we were kids we had a saying "It matters not whether you win or lose but how you play the game"- We need to get back to that more.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's loser talk.

Dead wrong- Every one wins in an honestly played game. Skills improve, it's healthy and one of the main reasons for sports is to enhance health and fellowship. There's too much sh*t happening these days (some blame has to go to Don Cherry) just to ensure winning at all costs. One good thing about the Olympic hockey is the absense fo fighting. They have that in the summer Olympics- it's called wrestling. :lol:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Dead wrong- Every one wins in an honestly played game. Skills improve, it's healthy and one of the main reasons for sports is to enhance health and fellowship. There's too much sh*t happening these days (some blame has to go to Don Cherry) just to ensure winning at all costs. One good thing about the Olympic hockey is the absense fo fighting. They have that in the summer Olympics- it's called wrestling. :lol:
Its a pleasure to watch good hockey for a change... :canada:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sorry, the link wasn't there before.

Wow, if those numbers are correct we are not very good on a per capita basis. What happens when the Russians have the same numbers?

Yikes!

I think we do very well. We have a different system than Russia. In Canada every kid who's parents can afford the registration fee can play hockey. In Russia they don't bother with average or below average players. In Canada those average players play in "house league" and the good players and the very good players play on rep teams. It is from the rep teams that future NHL players are chosen. In twenty year of coaching I only ever saw one NHL caliber player and he dropped out of hockey at 16.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

No, some loser came up with the winning dosen't count mantra.

We don't even fail kids in school anymore bacause failure is a no no and must never be spoken of.

It's a joke....if you don't win....you are a loser.

Just like Jerry Seinfeld says...silver medalists are the best losers.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
win, lose or draw, canada is the leader in the world when
it comes to hockey, and all of the other countries will be
the first to say that, they all have learned from Canada,
and the more countries who pick up on our game, the better
it is for the game.
Hockey is 'our' game, just as many other countries can claim
ownership of other games.

We are proud of that and set a great example to the rest of
the world, and they are watching and listening, good for
them.

We could field more top notch teams in a tournament that
could be competetive than any other country, ever.

We have more hockey for kids by far than any other country.
We could have had another team in these olympics, which
would have been very competetive.

Winning is fine, that keeps everyone working towards perfection, and being the best, and we also know how
to win and lose, it's just part of the sport.

The favourite in this olympics is russia, doesn't really
mean much till they have the gold medal around their necks,
and if they do, so be it.

We are the owners of this great game, and for that we will
swagger, 'win or lose', without arrogance.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Seems the only ones who can win consistently are the jr's and the women, other than that it's anybody's game.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Seems the only ones who can win consistently are the jr's and the women, other than that it's anybody's game.

that's right, and I don't watch the women till they play
the u.s., the rest is so boring, there are only two competetive teams.
Don't want to watch a game that is 18-0

the jr.s have done well in recent years, but don't win
all the time.

I wouldn't be interested in the mens team either if they were automatic
winners without a clean effort, these sports have to be competative, and
I like it when canada loses once in a while, it's good for the sport.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have to admit that I enjoyed Canada's thrashing of Slovakia. I love seeing goals scored. The thing is, we didn't know how bad it was going to be until well into the game. If a hockey team from Richmond went to Russia and played the Red Army they would be beaten by a similar score. Slovakia had little experience in international hockey and the only way to improve is to play teams who are better. It would be an insult to hold back to go easy on a weaker team. If we can't stand the heat we should stay out of the kitchen...;-):smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have to admit that I enjoyed Canada's thrashing of Slovakia. I love seeing goals scored. The thing is, we didn't know how bad it was going to be until well into the game. If a hockey team from Richmond went to Russia and played the Red Army they would be beaten by a similar score. Slovakia had little experience in international hockey and the only way to improve is to play teams who are better. It would be an insult to hold back to go easy on a weaker team. If we can't stand the heat we should stay out of the kitchen...;-):smile:

We were heavily involved in womens hockey many many years
ago, and our teams in canada were very strong, right across the country, and also in parts of the u.s., but nothings
changed in all those years in other parts of the world,
they don't seem to get better, it is the same now as it
was then.
I am tired of it, and I hate watching such a lopsided
game, I have no interest in watching one team score almost
every time they skate down to the opposition end of the
ice, I would rather watch two even 'house' teams play a
game, when one doesn't know who will win, and it is a
battle right to the end.
Some of the other games in the women's olympic hockey will be close,
between other teams, when canada and the u.s. are not involved, and
will be more exciting for those watching, who are involved with the sport.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We were heavily involved in womens hockey many many years
ago, and our teams in canada were very strong, right across the country, and also in parts of the u.s., but nothings
changed in all those years in other parts of the world,
they don't seem to get better, it is the same now as it
was then.
I am tired of it, and I hate watching such a lopsided
game, I have no interest in watching one team score almost
every time they skate down to the opposition end of the
ice, I would rather watch two even 'house' teams play a
game, when one doesn't know who will win, and it is a
battle right to the end.
Some of the other games in the women's olympic hockey will be close,
between other teams, when canada and the u.s. are not involved, and
will be more exciting for those watching, who are involved with the sport.

Sweden seemed to be the team that was improving the most. All the teams seem to be able to skate and shoot the puck. Maybe if we put them through a month of coaching and conditioning they would do better. I'm sure we pay the shot when we have the European teams over. Maybe we could lay down some conditions as well., Like being in shape and ready to play.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Sweden seemed to be the team that was improving the most. All the teams seem to be able to skate and shoot the puck. Maybe if we put them through a month of coaching and conditioning they would do better. I'm sure we pay the shot when we have the European teams over. Maybe we could lay down some conditions as well., Like being in shape and ready to play.

Yeah, sweden will do OK, they are a middle of the pack
team, and have won in the past, if things go right, so
their could be a pretty good game when sweden in involved
with either canada or the u.s.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, sweden will do OK, they are a middle of the pack
team, and have won in the past, if things go right, so
their could be a pretty good game when sweden in involved
with either canada or the u.s.

Maybe Sweden still has a little work to do. They lost 13-1 to the Canadian women today. I thought they looked pretty good at the start of the first period but Canada stuffed in two or three and the damn opened. One positive note is that this Swedish team are mostly eighteen year olds......Maybe we should worry about them in the next Olympics.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Maybe Sweden still has a little work to do. They lost 13-1 to the Canadian women today. I thought they looked pretty good at the start of the first period but Canada stuffed in two or three and the damn opened. One positive note is that this Swedish team are mostly eighteen year olds......Maybe we should worry about them in the next Olympics.
Yeah, maybe, I thought they would do a little better.

I'm watching sweden/germany in men's hockey right now.
The twins, ohlund for sweden and erhoff on the german team. Better
game than I thought, germany is playing quite well, although
not winning.