Bad landlords

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I did the landlord gig and dealt with the tenant act in Ontario. It's a pretty one sided piece of business. I've also had to invest 10's of 1000's of corporate dollars into cleaning up other peoples mess; including a cockroach infestation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We've had just one problem with mice and that was in a house where there were quite a few places the mice could get in. Closed up all the holes and put out some traps and the problem was solved in a week. Some cats are micers, some are not.

You could have gotten a cat and saved yourself the hassles. How is the west coast rat problem coming along?

Kat1983

Sep 21, 2014
Edmonton
Thank you for all the help we have one cat she is 16 years of age and its not fair to her by any means we saved her from being but on the street why I'm saying thier are bad landlords as thier don't want to do thier jobs I'm saying as people thier bad because thier not but its crazy how thier can just sit back and do nothing we told by the tenant that use to live here that the bathroom was full of black Mold and not delt with right. I'm sick all the time due to this apartment and it's hard as we don't have the funds to move on I just think if people did the jobs thier wanted then everything would work better

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Slum-lords don't care about the tenamts. Like I said earlier Social Services has funding for people who are in a place that is a health concern.
Even when you get out your health may never return in full, I've been out of my old place for a year and some effects haven gone away very much.http://www.humanservices.alberta.ca/documents/FCH-emp0904.pdf
The list below provides examples of what supplementary benefits are available.
*This is not a complete list.
Emergency Allowances
You have an emergency that meets the following conditions:
• the
situation
presents
a
severe
health
risk,
and

• you
cannot
wait
until
the
next
benefit
period
or
access
other
available
resources, and

• the
situation
occurred
due
to
unforeseeable
circumstances
beyond
your control.
This allowance may cover emergency costs of:
• food
• accommodation
• clothing
(such
as
replacement
clothing
after
a
fire)
• child
care
• transportation
• essential
appliance
repairs
• essential
home
repairs
• utility
arrears
if
utilities
are
about
to
be
disconnected
• other
approved
items
You may be required to repay emergency allowances, such as payments
for utility arrears

You can eliminate the mould by using lots of white vinegar (enviro friendly) but you won't get rid of all the spores unless yout do the whole place and the water leaks has to be repaired or the mold just comes back. Because cats live close to the floor they breath in more of the spores and get the sympton faster but they won't be any different fo you eventually.
PM me if you want more info, too many trolls on the open threads.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
A slum isn't a slum if it isn't overcrowded. Odds are high that this one situation could be repeated 100 fold. The bottom line is the ones who should be doing the repairs won't so that person living there is left to take care of their own health. That includes keeping pathagens eliminated as well as issues like mold. If the tenant does the repair he can bill the landlord for the costs. If Alberta Heath is involved with an inspection and health issues are found rent can be withheld. It always works out that the tenant doingt the fixing is the better solution as it is the cheapest and that will go over good with the slum-lord and the teneant will do the better job because it is thir heath thgat is at risk.
Using the vinegar/baking soda/ borax treatment (no bleach) had my old place to a 'liveable condition' but there was still mold in unexposed areas. Anyway the landlord had the place tested a few months after I moved out and the results were the places I had finished with has a lower mold count that the outside air and the basement was just slightly above that and I hadsn't quite finished doing the full treatment down there.

Kat1983

Sep 21, 2014
Edmonton
I have done what I can do with putting power down in the apartment I vacuum everyday and keep it as clean as I can it's sad there is a tenant in the apartment that we know and he knows everything that goes wrong as well and he will not say anything to the health board or anything as he is friends with the landlord the first thing to happen here was black Mold called the health borad and was told there was nothing thier could do yet this is the second cat to get sick what makes it worse is we are smokers but I know that this apartment is my problem I do get sick once in awhile but last year it took me over 5 months to get better that's not right so far I've found cockroaches and bedbugs the way I found out there was bedbugs was I was going to wash clothes and we fill up a bucket of water other wise it doesn't wash right about 10 of them were just floating in the water it was nasty I'm going to take a look at all the links and see if we can get help

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You can report and you should, I'm not kidding about you being able to with-hold some rent when heath issues are involved. Be careful as that doesn't apply to all complaints. Mold is a clear violation but your health means you have to fix it or move, if moving is not an option then you have to take care of the problem.

This is a great site and the 'cures' costs pennies rather that being very expensive.
Bed Bug Bite Remedies

Mold and Black Mold Exposure

Kat1983

Sep 21, 2014
Edmonton
We are looking into staying in a motel over the winter as my boyfriend just started a new job what makes it worse we don't even own are furniture as we are leasing it so we get to send it all back leaving us with nothing I'm trying my hardest to stay positive but I think it's not right that the landlord does not have to tell you about bedbugs in the apartment as long as thier doing something thier isn't much more you can do I was told I do feel that thier not doing enough it was crazy when the landlord came in to fix the plumbing he use are plunger that we use the toilet in are sinks to me that nasty and he used his tumb to fill in where there was holes in the ceiling and his wife said that was fine as thier would have to repaint when we move I just feel like we can't win

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They won't take it back if there are bedbugs. You can win if you go to the Province if you don't then there is nobody to blame but yourself.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Which isle at Superstore? 4ltrs white vinegar $3, big box of Borax $7, big box of baking soda $4 and there is your supply for a month and the vinegar is the only product you need to buy over the next 5 months, plus a decent spray bottle and spray the hell out of all the places where cracks exist, and let the borax stay in place as the bugs will eat it and then die, ants will take it back to the 'hill' and the whole hill will die yet pets get a soapy taste once and then they leave it alone.

Without trying to scare-monger you, getting a detailed article of the symptoms that go along with extended exposure to mold would be helpful just to see if any of those apply and are more pronounced now and perhaps in some of you neighbors who have been there for an extended period of time.
Mist the areas and wipe while damp will prevent the spores from getting airborn. A vacuum for rugs is going to just spraed it around so hopefully you have none of those and damp mopping will be the best method even after the place is clean.
I lost my hearing in one ear during the last few years I was in my old place and that was a mold issue. Selsun Blue is the best shampoo when mold is around as it contains a fungicide and thin it out and it works as a body wash as mold can cause serious itches and the lotion I had was $50 for a 8oz tube from the Doc. I used that up in less than 1 day so I got the biggest and cheapest jug of hand/body lotion and just kept reapplying it over and over and over in just one hour. That went on for about 3 or 4 days but no itching that whole time. My condition got so bad I was having lots of periods wher I couldn't even say one sentence without losing track but at that stage my breathing and ability to do physical things was way down. 6 months after I could walk a dog for about 3 0r 4 blocks before being extremely tired. The oddest thing was I din't sweat during those walks but after getting home and sitting down I would burst out into a full body sweat where water was literally running down my skin. That was really weird, no I can walk the dog about 20 blocks and I start to swaet at 10 blocks and that is moderate until I get home and sit down and then I sweat harder for maybe 10 minutes. Hopefully that will improve even more in the next 12 months. The hack I have now if from a congestion just about where my windpipe and esophagus meet and my breathing was clear before and when I move out I was coughing up an=bout 4oz of dark flem for thye first 6 months now it is clear most of the time but occasionally some dark stuff is included. I haven't smoked in 10 years so that can be ruled out.

One other thing I haven't mentioned is using ozone to disinfect a place, you can build your own corona-discharge generator for a few dollars and the application is wher it gets tricky. If your self built model makes lots then it should be working only is short spurts, if it produces on a small then getting too much would not be a concern but that size is only good for making ozonated water (which is very health for people and pets if taken right away. With a decent producer you could set it on a timer so if you are gone for 8 hours it could be on for 6 hours and off for the last 2 and by the time you opened the door the evels would be back down to where it is safe. In those 6 hours it will kill every living thing it comes in contact with so if you left a pet behind it would need a funeral. That is how strong excessive ozone is but it will purify a place better than anything else.

Worse comes to worse there is that Alberta Works thing that will help you relocate but you need an inspection report in hand. Even with that they told me to move and submit the bill, I was going to move 100's of miles away but I found a safe place for the pets and decided to stay and then I took a cheap room a few blocks from the Courthouse and sue the landlord, that is still a work in progress.

We are looking into staying in a motel over the winter as my boyfriend just started a new job what makes it worse we don't even own are furniture as we are leasing it so we get to send it all back leaving us with nothing I'm trying my hardest to stay positive but I think it's not right that the landlord does not have to tell you about bedbugs in the apartment as long as thier doing something thier isn't much more you can do I was told I do feel that their not doing enough it was crazy when the landlord came in to fix the plumbing he use are plunger that we use the toilet in are sinks to me that nasty and he used his tumb to fill in where there was holes in the ceiling and his wife said that was fine as their would have to repaint when we move I just feel like we can't win
Rernt to own means a $500 couch will cost you $1,000 or more before you get it paid off. Do the Motel thing if you must and when you find another room or Apt look through Kijiji to find some free furniture and save your money until you can pay cash for some better stuff. With mold you don't take anytnig with you taht hasbn't been throughly cleaned. I left everything behind because cleaning it and having a place to store it after just wasn't in the option. Neither was finding a new home for the pets.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Rernt to own means a $500 couch will cost you $1,000 or more before you get it paid off. Do the Motel thing if you must and when you find another room or Apt look through Kijiji to find some free furniture and save your money until you can pay cash for some better stuff. With mold you don't take anytnig with you taht hasbn't been throughly cleaned. I left everything behind because cleaning it and having a place to store it after just wasn't in the option. Neither was finding a new home for the pets.

Yikes, free furniture could mean more bedbugs though.

Maybe try a reputable second hand store or consignment store.

My daughter moved out of an apartment a year ago because of bedbugs. Moved back in with me and not one piece of wood furniture, pictures, books, nothing that a bedbug could hide in came with her. Clothes were put in plastic bags and left outside until they could all be washed. A couple weeks later, we found a bedbug. We had to vaccuum EVERYDAY and every corner of our house.

Kat1983

Sep 21, 2014
Edmonton
I'm also in the middle of dealing with the mla as I was cut of my income six months ago due to false pretenses so it makes it way harder to get any help from them

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Thank you for all the help we have one cat she is 16 years of age and its not fair to her by any means we saved her from being but on the street ...

A 16 year old cat is an old cat and no doubt ready for the vet visits regardless of what the landlord has or has not done. At some point you may need to consider putting her down if her medical conditions are making her life hard.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Yikes, free furniture could mean more bedbugs though.

Maybe try a reputable second hand store or consignment store.

My daughter moved out of an apartment a year ago because of bedbugs. Moved back in with me and not one piece of wood furniture, pictures, books, nothing that a bedbug could hide in came with her. Clothes were put in plastic bags and left outside until they could all be washed. A couple weeks later, we found a bedbug. We had to vaccuum EVERYDAY and every corner of our house.
That would be dumpster diving and I would stay away from that
The trick is to take the one where somebody is downsizing and they just don't have room for it anymore. That is pretty much what I left behind, even the electronic things as mold would have gotten on them. I can almost taste that blackness on my lips just talking about this stuff. My Grandson and I can smell H2S (sewage) long before anybody else due to several exposures (same house) Hepe filters on a vacuum allow it to be used in conmtaminated places as it gets all the spores and doesn't spread it around. Nasty stuff but the 'tenant' isn't helpless and lit doesn't host $100,s to get it good and clean and at that stage maintenance is almost as easy as normal housework. Just give up on the idea that anybody is going to come to your rescue.

I'm also in the middle of dealing with the mla as I was cut of my income six months ago due to false pretenses so it makes it way harder to get any help from them
Yep.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Depends who you get, phoning the Inspection Services in Red Deer only got me a phone tag thing for a few days, one call to a receptionist in Edmonton had an inspector on the doorstep in 20 minutes.