B.C. Place renovations.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Recently we've heard a lot of rhetoric about the expense for "replacing the roof" at B.C. place, quite often brought up regarding the teachers' dispute, so I Googled the subject to make sure I am cognizant of the facts and not just "blowing smoke". Actually the $600 million quoted was for replacing the roof, renovations to the seats and washroom and a multitude of other upgrades. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but the building has been there since the early 80s, I think one should pause to consider how much money the building generates and the business it brings to local mercants. In one day during the recent Grey Cup game, that building brought about $100 million to the city of Vancouver. So I wish people would quit their whining about it.
BC Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I went to the Boat Show recently because I had worked it in the past/have some interest in boating and wanted to see what we got for our money.

Well the show was the Vancouver Boat Show-very small time almost a country fair and the old barn well.......you can put lipstick on a pig but's it's still a swine.

Renovating a relic means a certain amount of compromises many of which are painfully apparent even on a quick stroll through-I won't be hurrying back.

The Good News is that the reek from the toilets doesn't clog the hallways anymore-Staff are friendlier but just as poorly trained.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
A drop in the bucket compared to building a brand new stadium.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Absolutely nothing- teachers' supporters just use it as a red herring! :smile:

The ones that are whining about fixing BCPlace are the same ones that whined about having Expo 86 instead of giving more money t government employees and the poor etc. Same ones that whined about the Olympics instead of ever more social programs etc. Oddly enough they were mostly on board with Boondogle's fat cats. Misplaced priorities.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Are there figures available showing the source of the $600 million? How much provincial, how much federal, how much City of Vancouver, how much Reg. Dist. , how much from private interests including donations?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I have to ask. Is BC Place not privately owned? If it is why are the taxpayers footing the bill for renos? It would seem to me that whatever corporation owns the stadium shod be responsible for it unless they share the profits with the govt.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
B.C. place is not a sports complex, it is a multi-use venue, for everyone, sports included.

I would imagine it was financed by the city/government etc, just assuming, don't know why it would
be privately owned when it is available for many different organizations.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
B.C. place is not a sports complex, it is a multi-use venue, for everyone, sports included.

I would imagine it was financed by the city/government etc, just assuming, don't know why it would
be privately owned when it is available for many different organizations.

PavCo which owns BC Place is a Crown corporation.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
So how much of the $600 million did the taxpayers have to foot?

From what I can find on the net, it seems that we are on the 'hook' for all of it, JLM.

The Federal government does not help fund sports arenas. There was quite the talk about this last spring when Sask was looking for money to help build a domed stadium but were told they, along with Quebec would have to find the money themselves.

Sports arenas: Do you agree with the government's decision to not fund pro arenas? - Your Community

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
From what I can find on the net, it seems that we are on the 'hook' for all of it, JLM.

The Federal government does not help fund sports arenas. There was quite the talk about this last spring when Sask was looking for money to help build a domed stadium but were told they, along with Quebec would have to find the money themselves.

Sports arenas: Do you agree with the government's decision to not fund pro arenas? - Your Community

I agree that the people shouldn't be zinged for the cost of a sports arena, but I don't agree in
regard to b.c. place, it is multi-purpose and not considered an arena or sportsplex, it is the
peoples place to come for many different venues, including football and soccer, it is a wonderful
looking building, and makes vancouver skyline look even more beautiful than it was.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The ones that are whining about fixing BCPlace are the same ones that whined about having Expo 86 instead of giving more money t government employees and the poor etc. Same ones that whined about the Olympics instead of ever more social programs etc. Oddly enough they were mostly on board with Boondogle's fat cats. Misplaced priorities.

Yep, many people just take a look at where the Gov't is spending money and make a judgment based on that, without looking any further. Infrastructure is an absolute necessity, no infrastructure is like having a heart and lungs but no arteries or legs. Anyway the human race is on the way out, just wish I could live long enough to see if it's greed or laziness that deals the final blow. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Most cities have been sucked into the idea that in order to have a pro sports team, the city has to pay for all of the infrastructure.

So, the taxpayers fund all the minor sports venues and organizations, which lets kids grow up to be pro sports players, where they play pro sports for huge money, and the teams make huge money, and the taxpayers fund all the infrastructure. And every 20 years, the taxpayers are told to cough up a few hundred million more for new facilities.

It's a win-win, as long as you're an owner or a player. That's what pro sports is all about.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Most cities have been sucked into the idea that in order to have a pro sports team, the city has to pay for all of the infrastructure.

So, the taxpayers fund all the minor sports venues and organizations, which lets kids grow up to be pro sports players, where they play pro sports for huge money, and the teams make huge money, and the taxpayers fund all the infrastructure. And every 20 years, the taxpayers are told to cough up a few hundred million more for new facilities.

It's a win-win, as long as you're an owner or a player. That's what pro sports is all about.

rogers arena is a pro sports venue, and was not payed for by the tax payer, b.c. place is not the same,
it is for multi use purposes, including some sports.

Isn't it true that the canadian/provincial governments do not pay for sports venues, or has that changed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
rogers arena is a pro sports venue, and was not payed for by the tax payer, b.c. place is not the same,
it is for multi use purposes, including some sports.

Isn't it true that the canadian/provincial governments do not pay for sports venues, or has that changed.

I was kind of under the impression that it was this sort of thing the proceeds of lottery sales went for Talloola. But knowing politicians it would probably be 2 cents on the dollar. :lol: