B.C. govt. expressed regret......?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What and who are you referring to by "good money in it".
Both the government and the corporations have a lot to profit from sucking up to natives. The OP is dealing with an insignificant event compared to many other atrocities they have committed.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Both the government and the corporations have a lot to profit from sucking up to natives. The OP is dealing with an insignificant event compared to many other atrocities they have committed.

Obviously the family of those that were wrongly convicted and killed felt it was VERY significant. Or are things that are only significant to YOU to be given importance?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So, as far as you're concerned. If the government doesn't recognize your claims and those of the Sinixt peoples, they shouldn't be doing anything for any other First Nations people. Is that right? If so, you really are an egotistical, self centered bastard.
Have you ever been to land treaty negotiations in BC? The government speaks with a forked tongue. I only mentioned the Sinixt because that is what I know most about. There are plenty of other, more important issues that are being ignored. As I said above, this issue is insignificant but it makes good PR on their part for those who do not know what is really going on here.

Obviously the family of those that were wrongly convicted and killed felt it was VERY significant. Or are things that are only significant to YOU to be given importance?
I'm not saying or belittling the significance to the family. I'm addressing government hypocrisy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Have you ever been to land treaty negotiations in BC? The government speaks with a forked tongue. I only mentioned the Sinixt because that is what I know most about. There are plenty of other, more important issues that are being ignored. As I said above, this issue is insignificant but it makes good PR on their part for those who do not know what is really going on here.

You ONLY mention the Sinixt people. Your statements today are no different than any other day when it comes to First Nations issues. You have blinders on that only see what YOU want to see.

Yes, BC has a lot of work to do when it comes to First Nations. The majority do not even have a treaty. Treaty negotiations with the province and Feds have been a laugh, for the most part, with only a few advances.

What you are suggesting is, that if Sinixt are not recognized and taken care of, then nothing should be done with anything else.

I'm not saying or belittling the significance to the family. I'm addressing government hypocrisy.

yes you are, and you are using this family to further your agenda against the government. You lessen the significance of their pain to further YOUR agenda.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yes, BC has a lot of work to do when it comes to First Nations. The majority do not even have a treaty. Treaty negotiations with the province and Feds have been a laugh, for the most part, with only a few advances.

Most BC nations do not want to have treaty negotiations with government because they have seen how detrimental they would be by the treaties of the past.

What you are suggesting is, that if Sinixt are not recognized and taken care of, then nothing should be done with anything else.
I'm sorry if you interpret what I am say ing in that manner. I cannot control how you interpret it.

yes you are, and you are using this family to further your agenda against the government. You lessen the significance of their pain to further YOUR agenda.
As above.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
BC has a long history of getting it wrong on a lot of issues with regard to culture and
acceptance. I have seen pictures of signs at the outskirts of kelowna for example
going back almost a hundred years, ones says ("No Japs") and there were others.
Oliver was another place where people were discriminated against
It wasn't just the First Nations people but they were treated rather badly as well.
This was not just by the populace it was ill treatment by government institutions and the
churches as well. It is time we began to recognize what happened and allow the past to
truly move into history by dealing with it not just ignoring it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Is there any real evidence that these two were wrongly convicted. Is there any evidence other than tribal alders remembering
the muttering of their fathers and grand fathers. There are court records. Maybe the families of the shipwreck survivors that
these two killed should sue the tribe.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Is there any real evidence that these two were wrongly convicted. Is there any evidence other than tribal alders remembering
the muttering of their fathers and grand fathers. There are court records. Maybe the families of the shipwreck survivors that
these two killed should sue the tribe.

See, I guess that's where you and I differ. I expect the crown to prove guilt, not the accused to prove innocence.

Anietsachist and Katkinna were accused of murdering crew members from the ship John Bright, which was driven ashore on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
Despite conflicting testimony, an inquest conducted by members of the HMS Sparrowhawk concluded that Anietsachist and Katkinna killed Bright and his wife, a statement from the government said.
The men were hanged in public at a gallows erected on the beach.

See juan, no court, no real transcript, only the knowledge that there WAS conflicting testimonies.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
First comes the admission of guilt. That only occurs when somebody feels they have been wronged.
What guilt are you referring to.
from the new story
With all our government was doing with respect to other First Nations — with reconciliation, with recognition, with respect — we felt that this was one area that had to be dealt with before we could move forward with any other matters," she said from a ceremony with the Hesquiaht and other bands.

The expression of regret, and not an apology, was fitting because British Columbia did not officially become a province until 1871, Chong said.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
we felt that this was one area that had to be dealt with before we could move forward with any other matters," she said from a ceremony with the Hesquiaht and other bands.

I bet those matters involve significant amounts of money