B.C. court rules against will that left out daughters

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I see the son was the last "caretaker". It's amazing how often the "last to care for" becomes the sole inheritor. The elderly are easy pickins.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not only sole inheritor, but sole executor as well.

That little task probably pissed him right off, as executor (I know I was one) you have to ensure that all interested kin folk receive a copy of the will.

I see the son was the last "caretaker". It's amazing how often the "last to care for" becomes the sole inheritor. The elderly are easy pickins.

Yep, happens in many aspects of life, whenever a group of people are trying to persuade someone to make opposing decisions, the guy who gets to speak last often wins.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's not a game though, and the deceased is, well, dead. The aftermath is what the family deals with, not him. As stated in the decision, it wasn't fair to the daughters and thus the courts ruled to protect them.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Like it or not, we now live in a society that is completely different from when these laws
were written. Not only has the law changed but more and more, we find the moral and
mental fabric of society has changed. It was once considered a persons last will was the
departing statement, the last act of life as it were. Today we live in a society that now
believes in democracy when it is convenient, all too often people have principles that change
like the flavour of the month.
I agree the person writing the will sounds like an idiot, but the truth is a will and testament is not
to be considered a reward for service given, it is a gesture of a last act of love for one's family.
In this case the family sounds very dysfunctional to say the least. I cannot imagine a parent who
would behave like this toward his children. It is this toxic lifestyle that permits one to die early
as holding in these negative feelings has got to poison your system.
Should the judge be able to simply overturn a will under these circumstances? The answer is
yes because we are no longer living in a world that once existed a few decades ago, right or
wrong we are all victims of the world of law that together we have created either by being part
of the demand for change, or the silence of principle, that allows change to happen without a
measure of debate.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Like it or not, we now live in a society that is completely different from when these laws
were written. Not only has the law changed but more and more, we find the moral and
mental fabric of society has changed. It was once considered a persons last will was the
departing statement, the last act of life as it were. Today we live in a society that now
believes in democracy when it is convenient, all too often people have principles that change
like the flavour of the month.
I agree the person writing the will sounds like an idiot, but the truth is a will and testament is not
to be considered a reward for service given, it is a gesture of a last act of love for one's family.
In this case the family sounds very dysfunctional to say the least. I cannot imagine a parent who
would behave like this toward his children. It is this toxic lifestyle that permits one to die early
as holding in these negative feelings has got to poison your system.
Should the judge be able to simply overturn a will under these circumstances? The answer is
yes because we are no longer living in a world that once existed a few decades ago, right or
wrong we are all victims of the world of law that together we have created either by being part
of the demand for change, or the silence of principle, that allows change to happen without a
measure of debate.

So a will is only a first draught, the final draft is decided by others!.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The distribution of an estate is based on fairness. There are clear rules around distribution when there is no will. The next of kin don't have to apply for what is owed to them. There is no song and dance to prove who should get more than another. In fact a next of kin must decline their equal portion in writing. The writing of a will isn't an exercise in stupidity. It's an opportunity for the writer to document their last wishes but is not intended to be one to create an entirely new game of of win or lose with family assets. Nor can he give away the family home held in his title to the SPCA. He can if no one contests the wishes, but don't count on the next of kin to remain silent when it's written with reckless stupidity.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
If one wants to avoid this whole will constesting, courts, lawyers, and greddy b*stard relatives, just do this simple thing. SPEND IT ALL! Cash in all your investments, RRSPs etc., and go on all the vacations you want. Have properties? SELL THEM OFF! Use the cash from those and get a decent apartment and stay there till you kick the bucket. No courts, lawyers, will contesting, and whatnot. There you go, you just beat the system.

That is of course if you want to do it this way.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If one wants to avoid this whole will constesting, courts, lawyers, and greddy b*stard relatives, just do this simple thing. SPEND IT ALL! Cash in all your investments, RRSPs etc., and go on all the vacations you want. Have properties? SELL THEM OFF! Use the cash from those and get a decent apartment and stay there till you kick the bucket. No courts, lawyers, will contesting, and whatnot. There you go, you just beat the system.

That is of course if you want to do it this way.

Makes perfect sense- if you knew the exact day of your demise well in advance. :lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So the definition you want to go with is the 4th listed- pretty shaky for a legal document I'd say.:lol:

No, not really...word to the wise JLM, there's a reason that smart people retain the services of legal professionals. Lawyers know for instance that legal definitions aren't related to which entry a definition of a word falls under in a general use dictionary....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, not really...word to the wise JLM, there's a reason that smart people retain the services of legal professionals. Lawyers know for instance that legal definitions aren't related to which entry a definition of a word falls under in a general use dictionary....

Was this act written for the benefit of lawyers or for the benefit of the deceased and his heirs? If for lawyers then using the most obscure definition of a term would make perfect sense. You have to remember we are dealing with the decision one judge here and while his decision may be binding, it doesn't mean it was just or even sensible. I defy you to find me a law anywhere (even something contrived by that Trudeau idiot) that states a man has to provide for his progeny after his demise. I submit that if the Act meant "progeny" it would have stated "progeny". :smile:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If for lawyers then using the most obscure definition of a term would make perfect sense.....

It doesn't do that though. Only an "abject idiot" would not be able to understand what the document means when it talks about children and minor children (as an example)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It doesn't do that though. Only an "abject idiot" would not be able to understand what the document means when it talks about children and minor children (as an example)

So when you hear the word "children" you immediately think of people in their 50s? I say bullsh*t. :lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You have to remember we are dealing with the decision one judge here and while his decision may be binding, it doesn't mean it was just or even sensible.

If you refuse to read the actual decision, and assert things that are clearly wrong, then I'm not sure there's any point to discussing this with you. Precedence means that a judge will consider cases over similar matters which have occurred before. It's not one judge's decision in this case, it's many judges' decisions.

I defy you to find me a law anywhere (even something contrived by that Trudeau idiot) that states a man has to provide for his progeny after his demise.
We've been discussing the Wills Variation Act. The point isn't that the deceased must provide. For instance if the deceased owned nothing....The point is that this law states that inheritance must be equitable.

It's a BC law. In Alberta, to make a claim for more equitable distribution of the estate, the child does have to be a minor, or in a situation where they are financially dependent.

I submit that if the Act meant "progeny" it would have stated "progeny". :smile:
So then what about adopted children, they are not progeny.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So when you hear the word "children" you immediately think of people in their 50s? I say bullsh*t. :lol:

Well, if an 80 year old senior citizen says 'my children', then yes, I would expect them to be in their 50s.

the most obscure definition of a term would make perfect sense.

You are suggesting that the most obscure meaning of the word 'children' is human beings that you have raised and cared for, either adopted by or conceived by you? That's what you consider 'most obscure'?