Australia's Differences with Canada

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think not said:
Basketball is played in over 200 countries. Get real.

Cricket is the national sport of around two-sixths of the entire world's population. It is the national sport of India, which has 1 billion people.

In fact, the three biggest team sports in the world - soccer, cricket and rugby - are alll British sports that we introduced to the world.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: Australia's Differenc

Toro said:
You've been eating too much haggis spiked with Scotch Blackleaf. Take your kilt off your head.

Nobody cares about cricket. Who plays cricket? Australia, England, South Africa, the West Indies, India, Pakistan. That's about it. It takes 5 days to play. Who has time to watch that.

Real man's sport? :lol Its a game for the upper class twits who didn't have to work for a living. Who the hell else can afford 5 days off to play a game in which they break for tea. Yeah, "real man's sport" that.

Basketball is much more popular than cricket. Perhaps China doesn't exist in Blackleaf's atlas. Or Brazil. Or Europe. Or Russia.

Is basketball played in a country with one-sixth of the entire world's population?

Whereas soccer is THE global game - played professionally in almost every country in Europe, Africa and South America, cricket and rugby also have huge worldwide followings. Rugby is now big in Continental Europe as well as the Commonwealth (except Canada) - it's the number 2 sport in France after soccer as is also increasingly popular in Italy.

Soccer is the national game of almost EVERY country in Europe and it's the national game of every country in South America and is Mexico's national game. Rugny is the national sport of New Zealand and Wales and is massive in England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc. Cricket is the national game of India (one-sixth of the world's population love cricket in just that one country), Pakistan (160 million) and is huge in England/Wales, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and the West Indies.

It's basketball and baseball that are the sports that the vast majority of the world don't care about.

And even if baseball WERE huge around the globe it was the British who invented anyway. Only we call it rounders and has been played by girls here since around the 17th century or earlier.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Australia's Differenc

"Get real"?, dont play up to those ignorant stereotypes ITN, just because you don't play it in north america (well you dont play much soccer, but it doesnt mean it's not the worlds favourite game), doesnt mean it isnt BIG.

No, Basketball, with all it's multi-million dollar contracts is still small beer compared to Cricket, Basketball just gets more coverage in the states.

Really, Cricket, statistically is MUCH bigger, played by BILLIONS...Basketball cannot claim that.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Well sports fans and cricket lovers.......

Cricket may be the sport of royals along with polo and racing, but the U.S. sports had to include those of lesser status - with little money for equipment and uniforms - something that could be played on a "catch as catch can" basis if even two children had some time before dark. I could be wrong but I think football (soccer) had its real boost in the streets too.

The games of the streets - baseball and basketball - afforded the poor children of the land something to do - to excell - and even aspire to a career playing their beloved game. It was a pastime of necessity.

Land in the inner cities is at a premium.... the most popular sports just morphed into what was needed to keep some kids on the straight and narrow. What we see now in major sports is the success and the desperate need of the young to have something to spend their hours in play. Now the "street kids" have opened up some slots to international players and we see a new flavor happening. It's great.

Each sport has its place and its cultural value and its audience - and as long as people flourish at sporting pastimes, that these sports give pleasure to millions of people all over the world, that some athletes can be uplifted through their natural talent into successful lives....

....I think the best reason for all sports is the fact as long as competition exists on playing fields, or arenas, or pools, mountains, floor mats, we aren't shooting at each other on battle grounds.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

see, here's where your rguement falls down Wednesday's child.....Just how RICH do you think most of the millions of indian street children I saw playing cricket were?.

I dare say they are probably a damnslight poorer than most people in north america, Mexico included...they play with anything, sticks, mango's, but essentially, it's cricket...come on, broaden your horizons.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Daz_Hockey said:
see, here's where your rguement falls down Wednesday's child.....Just how RICH do you think most of the millions of indian street children I saw playing cricket were?.

I dare say they are probably a damnslight poorer than most people in north america, Mexico included...they play with anything, sticks, mango's, but essentially, it's cricket...come on, broaden your horizons.

DazHockey

This is not the first time you have misread my words and posts and I don't know how to make them any more simple for you.

The origins of cricket were the pastimes of royals...as was polo and horse racing among other things. The poor children of the streets had no games to play other than with stones or other implements - nothing organized.

When human rights and concerns for those in need - the children of the streets especially profited from a movement which addressed families in poverty and venues were then created for the games. Cricket of necessity needs a fair amount of room to be played.... equipment and a place to play had to be part of that movement from the wealthy to all children. That is the beauty of all sports.

I realize what you are saying is many many children worldwide are able to play cricket and take part in it.... but originally that game had to be limited to the wealthy for reasons of equipment and venue.

There is no argument from me now as to availability of location or equipment in most sports - and the needs of poor children are one of the good things our modern civilized world is taking care of.... even Castro builds some of the finest baseball players the world has known.... and many of the Cubano families know little in the way of prosperity.

If we have done any good in our world, it is to introduce children to sports and competitions of all kinds.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

no the heart of my arguement is 1. your ignorance in thinking that Cricket started off as an upper-clss game for toffs...which it didn't...and by that arguement then so did Soccer...which it didnt...

2. Cricket is much bigger than Basketball....em basketball or baseball world series?....who does that exactly involve again?..em, you just seem to know very little about cricket, cricket was started, like soccer, in public schools yes, but it was passed abroad by british people abroad, be they rich or poor, and they generally passed it to even poorer people.

Nope, I'm in a country with an outward world perspective, not (as far as sport goes anyway) an inwardly....cricket is much, much bigger, and actually appeals...and was started by the poorer or "common" man....

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
My word Daz ... what's your problem???

If I am wrong prove it with information instead of insults.

I'll be happy to apologize but calm the heck down.... how's your blood pressure anyway?

Hate to say it but: "it's only cricket".

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I've no problem, I just get a bit annoyed when people start throwing around insults about the upper classes and the royal family (which generally are used by non-british people to racially abuse my countrymen and women).

Cricket may be "off the map" in china (actually it isnt, it's played all over Hong Kong)...and I'm not getting abusive to you, I'm making a point...you were using a stereotype to beat a sport you know little about over the head. ok

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

(and actually, I'm probably more well-placed than you for this arguement, as I'm from Bannister park in southampton, the site of the school the man who the brazillians all recogneise gave them football....there is a statue of him outside their main stadium, and he was'nt rich, but passed on BOTH football and Rugby....it's only the rich that call it soccer anyway)

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Blackleaf:

1.) Actually yes, Basketball IS played in a country with 1/6th the worlds population, a country more populous than India

2.) If by British, you mean Canadians, because we invented it. I know, sucks when colonials stop letting you claim all their inventions.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

and "when" did these canadian's create basketball?...bare in mind your talking to an Englishman directly decended from General John Hockey, of nova scotia...who supposedly introduced ice hockey into canada

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

I think not said:
Blackleaf said:
And even if baseball WERE huge around the globe it was the British who invented anyway.

Dude you have serious issues. Seek help.

No kidding, eh? Everyone knows basketball was invented in Canada. I saw it with my own eyes on a National Film Board Vignette. They started with a bushel basket, then some smart guy realized it would be easier to cut away the bottom of the basket, than to have a guy climb a ladder to get the puck out. :)

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I dont think thats the point Blackleaf was trying to make, "when" it was invented in canada is very relevant.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
OK I was misled by the NFB. It wasn't invented in Canada per se, but in Springfield MA by a Canadian in 1891, Dr. James Naismith. That was an easy google.

Edit : O yeah, John Hockey, on the other hand - not so easy a google :D

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Daz_Hockey said:
I dont think thats the point Blackleaf was trying to make, "when" it was invented in canada is very relevant.

The only point Blackleaf ever tries to make, is that the Brits are Gods gift to mankind. :roll:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Just the Facts said:
OK I was misled by the NFB. It wasn't invented in Canada per se, but in Springfield MA by a Canadian in 1891, Dr. James Naismith. That was an easy google.

Edit : O yeah, John Hockey, on the other hand - not so easy a google :D

Yeah, I get mixed up, cus there's Christopher Hockey, now he's a big Angler in the south here, Trevor Hockey, very famous welsh Soccer player and of course John Hockey (what name did I say?, arthur?, george? lol)...probably all related, the whole name comes from about a 20 mile radious in a particularly hilly part of Somerset (in the west country of England)....now it's similar to Locksleigh (like robin hood..robin of locksleigh), which means living near a river, Hocksleigh means living near a hill! go figure..

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Complete Bullshit, Canada is on its way to becomeing a world power, we control vast amounts of world resourses, completely untouched, we have one of the largest oil deposits in the world. We have every thing Australia doesnt and mostly more plus no damn Kangaroos.

Not that I dislike the place though, but we have it made, we are going to be a large power globally under the proper leadership, we seem to fianlly be getting with spending. Though Unfortunetly we have some cuts to socail spending to put a bad taste in our mouths.