Attack on Woodburning Stoves, time to fight back

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Very few people here use wood for heat.

We burned it for 14 years on Vancouver Island, without too many problems (the exception being the chimney was at one end of the house) , we never itched and were always warm, the supply was handy, we cut and hauled it ourselves. Oh yeah, one slight problem...........................the wife thought it was messy! :)

Give it time and they'll try and outlaw bbqing.

The a$$holes already outlawed drying your clothes on an outside clothes line. Just an indirect f**king money grab!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
We burned it for 14 years on Vancouver Island, without too many problems (the exception being the chimney was at one end of the house) , we never itched and were always warm, the supply was handy, we cut and hauled it ourselves. Oh yeah, one slight problem...........................the wife thought it was messy! :)

The a$$holes already outlawed drying your clothes on an outside clothes line. Just an indirect f**king money grab!

They've outlawed them here, too but I still put up a clothes line. The local city government sell themselves as "green". If they ever come after me, I will do everything that I can to publicize their bullsh1t hypocracy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They've outlawed them here, too but I still put up a clothes line. The local city government sell themselves as "green". If they ever come after me, I will do everything that I can to publicize their bullsh1t hypocracy.

That's the way I see it! (You can't suck and blow at the same time) One exception duly noted!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Wait...what? Why the hell would they outlaw clotheslines and when the hell did that happen?

Because to top mucky mucks in areas like British Properties think it's very undignified to be displaying your laundry for the entire population to see. My God, someone's bra maybe hanging on the line!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Because to top mucky mucks in areas like British Properties think it's very undignified to be displaying your laundry for the entire population to see. My God, someone's bra maybe hanging on the line!

We lived on Gabriola island for over eight years. We had electric basebourd heating and we had a fairly high tech woodstove. Electrical power on Gabriola island was not that reliable There were times when the electrical power was off for several days so we learned to use our wood stove for making stews and soups etc on the woodstove. We didn't fry anything because the spatter made a mess on the wood stove. that was an important piece of furniture:

http://www.pacificenergy.net/files/8013/7377/3195/thumb_spectrum_c.png

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
No splitting and stacking the wood. Got that stink all over me.
Build the wood stove so it accepts wood that is 4ft long a the fire will do the rest as wood stoves should just be coals rather than roaring flames. You could even have a 'drying rack' for the next log.
Here is a trick you kiddies should try at home in the back-yard burn pit is to collect a few of the thick tree-trunk pieces that would have to be split to be used. Anything up to about 3ft can be burned on end if you powersaw an 'x' from top to bottom amd that is where the air to feed the fore comes from. If not put ou you light it once and it burns until the wood is gone. The bigger ones that are thin can have several od the vents put in and then you can have from 1-5 different flames burning the same wood.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You the wife?? Any town that recycles cardboard could be creating their own burn logs that are sold for money or used as fuel to heat city owned buildings.

Build your wood into a clamp and turn it into charcoal.
Did you forget this was an English language forum? (slack as it is)

Wood ash is corrosive and very acidic, about the same as battery acid once it is wet so how to get rid of it?? Instead of the milkman from days gone buy it will be 'the woodchuck guy' who is getting laid by housewives.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If you're into building your own, go all out and do a downdrafter. They burn through the ash bed so there's no creosote and they'll hold their "fire" for up to 24 hours. Lakewood used to make a nice one that could be set up for forced air and hot water - the Vermont Downdrafter - but I think there were some patent issues....

Patent US4194487 - Downdraft woodburning stove - Google Patents

Screw the government....

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Since a good one is built by a welder and it is for personal use I doubt he would have any issues with where the steel plates line up. I would be tempted to have a small fan near the inlet to force air in when the fire is just starting and some heat tubes in the 2nd stage box so air can be forced through to extract as much of the heat as possible. That would involve a heat sink of some sort and that could be the platform the stove is on as it would be big and heavy itself.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Build the wood stove so it accepts wood that is 4ft long a the fire will do the rest as wood stoves should just be coals rather than roaring flames. You could even have a 'drying rack' for the next log.
Here is a trick you kiddies should try at home in the back-yard burn pit is to collect a few of the thick tree-trunk pieces that would have to be split to be used. Anything up to about 3ft can be burned on end if you powersaw an 'x' from top to bottom amd that is where the air to feed the fore comes from. If not put ou you light it once and it burns until the wood is gone. The bigger ones that are thin can have several od the vents put in and then you can have from 1-5 different flames burning the same wood.
I was a novice in the wood burning game. I had to have the old timers teach me. I'd burn a little seasoned and a lot of green to get some good coals. I enjoyed cutting and stacking the wood was a good workout and I felt good in those days even though I was a smoker then.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Must be a Van City thing. Out in Metroland I enjoy the smell of cedar and alder smoke wafting through the air on a cool eve.

It's one of those smells that trigger local nostalgic thoughts of time spent stoking the fire.

When at home in SK, it's poplar, birch and maple that bring out different memories of the hours spent stoking the fire.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
The majority here do.
All 6 of them?
Must be a Van City thing. Out in Metroland I enjoy the smell of cedar and alder smoke wafting through the air on a cool eve. It's one of those smells that trigger local nostalgic thoughts of time spent stoking the fire.When at home in SK, it's poplar, birch and maple that bring out different memories of the hours spent stoking the fire.
What a load of idiotic wank.