Atlantic salmon escape their farm

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In my opinion, the threat posed to smolt runs by the sea louse is by far the greatest impact that aquaculture has on the wild stocks of Pacific salmon. It's an issue that requires further study, one which I would like to find a position somewhere to study the problem in greater detail. The technology used to track fish has recently overcome some technical bottle-necks, and it is now possible to track smolt and adults with great detail.
It can always do with more study, I agree. So far that's about all the gov'ts have been doing. And because fish farming is lucrative, they don't want to do something to annoy fish farmers. So in the meantime, the louse infestation and its followup pesticide pollution, escapes, interference with the food chain of indigent species, etc. continues.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Are there any wild bison herds left? Seems to me they were all supplanted by cow ranches. Wait, not all. There are 2 left, apparently.

Eventually the entire planet will be domesticated.
There's about 15,000 free ranging bison in NorthAm, the last I herd :D

I really hope that everything won't be domesticated. Some things can't be and if what you think actually comes to pass, then biodiversity is gone and life will eventually cease to exist on Earth.
Transplanting foreign species is the stupidest thing (besides processing petroleum) that humans have ever done.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Most people eat cattle rather than game like deer, moose, or elk as well. The oceans cannot sustain most capture fisheries, because the models used by regulatory agencies like DFO, use the maximum sustainable harvest, which is in fact not sustainable.

Perfect example is the cod fishery. After kicking out foreign trawlers, Canadian ground fishers moved away from inshore fishing with lower numbers and lower costs (maximum economic yield) and embraced the maximum sustainable harvest. Year after year catches were high, until they dropped off the map. The maximum sustainable yield does a very poor job of protecting stocks, because for the most part there is not adequate information about ground-fish populations. They seem healthy, up until they aren't.

By using a maximum economic yield, fishers can catch more per unit of catch effort, which seems to keep populations above these thresholds.

Farming fish will be an inevitability as long as these unsustainable quotas are modeled as they have been. A farmed fish cannot compete when there is a vibrant capture fishery. Costs are too high.

I somewhat agree.

However fish farms have not as yet adapted farmed salmon to a vegetable based feed.
As a result fishing fleets are strip-mining the southern oceans of herring and anchovy type species.
These small fish are processed into a ground feed source for the fish farms.
On a by-weight basis it takes roughly 4 times the volume of the feed fish to raise a salmon.
On top of that the anchovy and herring species are more appropriate (from a health perspective) as a human food source than the salmon.
This is because heavy metals and carcinogenics tend to increase and become more concentrated as you move up the food chain.
Thus those smaller fish would actually be a better food source.

Also that Slice stuff they use to treat the sea lice is really toxic and nasty.

Also they add a carotene like dye to the salmon feed. If they didn't the farmed salmon tend to have a visually unappealing grey flesh.

I refuse to eat farmed salmon myself.
To each his own
Trex

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It can always do with more study, I agree. So far that's about all the gov'ts have been doing. And because fish farming is lucrative, they don't want to do something to annoy fish farmers. So in the meantime, the louse infestation and its followup pesticide pollution, escapes, interference with the food chain of indigent species, etc. continues.

That's the human way. As much, as fast, as possible. Just think of Chile. They doubled the total production of finfish twice between 1995 and 2007. Then they got hit with disease, Salmon Rickettsial Septicemia, Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis, and Infectious Salmon Anemia. Nasty stuff. They also have the Caligus louse down there.

Funny enough, Marine Harvest has a big stake in Chilean Atlantic Salmon production. A Norwegian company with deep pockets.

Canada has better management, but that's all relative, considering the problems that still exist.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't think humans ever developed any other way than trial and error.
Amoebas can do that...... Bump. "hhmmm Is it food?" Bump, taste. "Nope. Not food. On to the next item that looks like food".

Toad plague in Oz. Instead of putting a few toads in plexiglass boxes with pesky beetles and observing the interaction, they just let loose toads into the environment. That takes real genius. As it sits, the toads ignore the beetles they were supposed to get rid of and end up killing anything animalian they brush up against.

Cane toads are poisonous.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I somewhat agree.

However fish farms have not as yet adapted farmed salmon to a vegetable based feed.

Every year the diet formulations are getting better. I attended a seminar with a nutritionist working in Norway last year, and the company he works for has a goal of zero marine protein and fatty acid. They've already completed phase one, and are partway through phase two. Phase three will bring it to zero.

This is partly out of necessity, and partly due to marketing. The aim for their company is a salmon that still has a good mix of EHA and DPA fatty acids, with less of the bioaccumulated toxins. A double whammy for health benefits.

As a result fishing fleets are strip-mining the southern oceans of herring and anchovy type species.
The bait fish landed hasn't increased at all over the years that aquaculture has grown. They were being strip mined before, for human nutritional supplements, for pharmaceuticals, for animal feeds, for fishing bait...it's insane.

These small fish are processed into a ground feed source for the fish farms.
On a by-weight basis it takes roughly 4 times the volume of the feed fish to raise a salmon.
And for wild salmon, it is about 15 kg needed to produce 1 kg of Oncorhynchus salmonids. Alot is made of that number, but as I've said, every year it gets smaller and smaller. It has to out of necessity. The capture fishery for fish meal is stagnant, and the demand grows every year.

On top of that the anchovy and herring species are more appropriate (from a health perspective) as a human food source than the salmon. This is because heavy metals and carcinogenics tend to increase and become more concentrated as you move up the food chain.
As I said, that is becoming less of an issue all the time. The pcb's in a serving of farmed salmon are lower than in a glass of milk, for some context, and lower than those in Chinook salmon ;-)

Thus those smaller fish would actually be a better food source.
To be realistic, salmon isn't in the same category as herring or anchovies.

Also that Slice stuff they use to treat the sea lice is really toxic and nasty.
Yeah, that's what the 68 day withdrawal period is for. This will also be a problem of the past shortly. Turns out that sea lice resistant is a highly heritable trait (anything with a heirtability score above 0.3 is highly heritable). Breeding programs are now utilizing this.

Also they add a carotene like dye to the salmon feed. If they didn't the farmed salmon tend to have a visually unappealing grey flesh.
The topic of my fourth year project last year! It reduces the severity and duration of the stress response in rainbow trout. Astaxanthin is a naturally occurring pigment.

I refuse to eat farmed salmon myself.
To each his own
Trex
Pretty much.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I won't eat Atlantic salmon if it's been farmed simply because of the way some farms are in BC; irresponsible. Other than that, I think there are better tasting salmon around than that junk.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I won't eat Atlantic salmon if it's been farmed simply because of the way some farms are in BC; irresponsible. Other than that, I think there are better tasting salmon around than that junk.

I've never had wild salmon before, except for smoked. We don't get fresh wild salmon out here...:-(

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Tonington,I am still wondering if we are agreeing with one and another in principle or not ?
I suspect we are.

I happen to oppose the way we treating our oceans.
I can live with some West coast fish farms but I tend to agree with annaG and think they should either be in a contained loop or further offshore.

The Norwegians have done a pretty fair job of offshoring their fish
farming industries to places like South America and Canada.
They have also done a pretty good job of protecting their local wild salmon runs.
It falls to us to do the same.

Every year the diet formulations are getting better. I attended a seminar with a nutritionist working in Norway last year, and the company he works for has a goal of zero marine protein and fatty acid. They've already completed phase one, and are partway through phase two. Phase three will bring it to zero.

This is partly out of necessity, and partly due to marketing. The aim for their company is a salmon that still has a good mix of EHA and DPA fatty acids, with less of the bioaccumulated toxins. A double whammy for health benefits.
Unquote.
Well, good, the sooner we can switch to a vegetable based feed the more sustainable it becomes.

The bait fish landed hasn't increased at all over the years that aquaculture has grown. They were being strip mined before, for human nutritional supplements, for pharmaceuticals, for animal feeds, for fishing bait...it's insane.
Unquote.
Completely agree.
It's insane.
And unsustainable in my opinion.
I care not if landings have increased or not.
It's unsustainable and constantly moving the fishing fleets from various country's to other country's waters is unacceptable.
We cannot remove the biomass from the oceans at todays rates.
Period.

And for wild salmon, it is about 15 kg needed to produce 1 kg of Oncorhynchus salmonids. Alot is made of that number, but as I've said, every year it gets smaller and smaller. It has to out of necessity. The capture fishery for fish meal is stagnant, and the demand grows every year.
Unquote.

Who cares; they are wild fish.
They do what they are supposed to do.
It's all as it should be.
I don't care if wild fish eat at a 100 to one ratio.
It's the artificial stuff that I look at.

Quote.
As I said, that is becoming less of an issue all the time. The pcb's in a serving of farmed salmon are lower than in a glass of milk, for some context, and lower than those in Chinook salmon ;-)
Unquote.
Agreed.
And that makes it all the worse.
Why are wild Chinook's high in PCB's?
Should we fix that?

Quote.
To be realistic, salmon isn't in the same category as herring or anchovies.
unquote.
But it should be.
I have eaten fresh grilled herring in Spain, Portugal and Italy.
Its great.

Quote.
Yeah, that's what the 68 day withdrawal period is for. This will also be a problem of the past shortly. Turns out that sea lice resistant is a highly heritable trait (anything with a heirtability score above 0.3 is highly heritable). Breeding programs are now utilizing this.
Unquote.
Well, that's good and all.
But they still use Slice.
And when I said Slice was nasty I wasn't necessarily talking in relation to people.
What happens when all those water soluble antibiotics rip through those fish and hit the bays and coves that BC fish farming takes place in?

Quote.
The topic of my fourth year project last year! It reduces the severity and duration of the stress response in rainbow trout. Astaxanthin is a naturally occurring pigment.
Unquote.
Whatever.
Those fish have grey mud coloured flesh artificially dyed for the consumer.
Perhaps when the changes you have discussed all take place.
And perhaps when they move those things offshore or into a closed loop system I will buy their product.
But right now, no thanks.
Trex

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
They were stocked to create a sport fishery. Not the same as the what has happened on the west coast. Apples and Oranges.

Ther were originally stocked to control the lamprey problem and protect the lake trout in the great lakes...

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Truth is I ate some farmed trout once and it tasted like mud. Haven't touched farmed fish since.

Thats because the trout came from an inland pond with a mud bottom. Although fish farms such as this one where the atlantics escaped would definitely taste good, they also create disease. Fish farms are a bad idea.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Whose brilliant idea was it to bring Atlantic Salmon to the west coast?
A conspiracy would say it was intentional, whatever, it can't be undone.

So how could Hudson's Bay be farmed, profitably and for long term, since it is now basically barren, fisheries could design their own 'Sea"?

How much to buy both Bays? $60-70 bucks?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Thats because the trout came from an inland pond with a mud bottom. Although fish farms such as this one where the atlantics escaped would definitely taste good, they also create disease. Fish farms are a bad idea.
As I said, I have tried farmed Atlantics, they don't taste that great. I'd rather eat chum salmon. Sockeye pr even pink is to Atlantic salmon as lasagna is to Kraft Mac & Cheese.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Tonington,I am still wondering if we are agreeing with one and another in principle or not ?
I suspect we are.

Oh I'm sure we are. About the wild fish, I only mention that as an example of just how far the nutritionists have gone in developing more sustainable feeds. At my school, the monogastric nutritionist has been working with the Canola Council. We've had good results with replacing fish oil/fish meal with canola. Without too much of a hit to the heart healthy omega fatty acids.

I've read the literature from both sides on this topic, and my conclusion is that salmon farms need to be under harsher scrutiny when applying for leases. In the direct path of wild salmon runs is a major no-no, and it is helping to drive the wild runs into endangerment.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Here's a private message exchange that Ron and I had. He allowed me to post it here, and I think they are good questions that perhaps some others may find useful.

Ron in Regina said:
Here you are very much in the know, & I'm totally not, but I have a
few questions for you. First things first though, Salmon return to
wherever they where spawned to complete a life cycle of spawning
& dying do they not? With a life cycle of something like 3-4 years?

Atlantic salmon do not die when they spawn. They do spend about 2-4 years at sea before returning to their natal rivers. The Pacific salmons do die at or shortly after spawning, for the most part because their journey to the spawning grounds is such an ordeal. Atlantic salmon do not have the grade up the rivers to deal with, or the gauntlet of fishing grizz. So they can spawn multiple times throughout their life.

If that's the case
, then the question would be, "Where were these
40,000 escapees born? On the East coast and shipped out as Fry
to these West coast pens....or on the West coast in these pens?
The escapees were born in one of Marine Harvests hatcheries. I believe they have two, or possibly three hatcheries on Vancouver Island that produce the seed for the farms. So those escapees actually do not have home rivers. They would likely find a river that best conforms to the conditions in the hatchery, which could be getting the water directly from a river in the area.

It's hard to say. But they also have different characteristic environmental cues for spawning than the Pacific salmon. Temperature and photoperiod preferences are different. So they would not likely be spawning at the same time, if they were even spawning in the same river.

If they where born on this West coast fish farm, won't the ones that
survive just return to this farm on their own to complete their
life cycle?
No. All salmon are anadromous fish. This means that they start their life in freshwater, migrate to sea to grow, and return to freshwater to spawn. It's unclear where the escapee Atlantics go. But it would have to be to some river or stream.

If they where born on the East coast somewhere, won't they be
trying to return to the East coast from the West coast somehow, be
it to try & circle across the north of the continent or whatever? Still
the end product would be to leave the West coast and in turn the
West coast salmon in order to complete their life cycle?
It's not possible for Atlantic salmon to make it back to the Atlantic. The migratory routes and timing of the migration would bring them through the Arctic, which is lethally cold to them at that time, or on some Southern route, which is lethally warm.

Regardless whether I'm on track or ridiculously off track, I doubt
I'm the only one with this question (though you never know, I guess).
Feel free to post my rambling questions & your answers on the
Forum if you see fit.

Thank You,
Ron.
Not rambling at all. These are all good questions which are very relevant to the subject at hand. I think I will post them in case some others have the same thoughts.

It's my pleasure! Paul

It's important to consider the context here. These species are separated by thousands of years of adaptation to their environments, and as such have very different evolutionary histories.

The Pacific salmon appear to have jumped into adjacent rivers as the glaciers retreated, as have the Atlantic salmon. These populations are all genetically distinct now. Their preferences are not the same.

The problem that I see, is it would be very difficult to test hypotheses here, because it's not that easy to find the Atlantics once they escape. It's hard to know where they will go. If you wanted to track them, you would have to monitor the many different rivers, which is economically unfeasible, or worse, intentionally release them. Perhaps the best option, is for the Government in BC to force all farms to provide the genotypes of the farm stock they are using. If there is any genetic pollution, one could examine the Pacific smolts and look for the Atlantic salmon markers which are not present in the Oncorhynchus salmonids.

As for competition...I don't really think that is much of an issue. As I said above the environmental cues which trigger spawning migration are different. It's unclear if the Atlantics would even travel as far upriver as the Pacifics.

Anyways, lots of good questions. Someone needs to find answers to these questions, so that better management plans can be put in place. And really the question is, should the farms (Atlantic salmon) even be there in the first place. There are native stocks of Steel head which could be a valuable addition genetically. Washington State is home to Trout Lodge, who ship rainbow trout eggs all over the world. the only difference is that the rainbow eggs are from a stock of rainbow that do not naturally migrate to sea. Adding the anadromous genetics to that product would be a better plan.

The issue is that the non-anadromous rainbow cannot osmoregulate as efficiently as the steel head version of the rainbow trout. They can go to sea, it's just that there is mortality when the trout are transferred from freshwater to sea water, unless they are diligently acclimated to sea water, which most hatcheries do not have the ability to do.

Well, I've rambled on enough now. See what you started Ron? LOL

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ron, why is it that whenever I quote your text, I can't remove those multiple quote thingies? I can't edit them out. They weren't even in the PM...

Frigging weird.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ron, why is it that whenever I quote your text, I can't remove those multiple quote thingies? I can't edit them out. They weren't even in the PM...

Frigging weird.

I have no idea what so ever why that happens with the quotes.

Yeah....cool. We don't get a whole lot of exposure to the Salmon's
life-cycle (East or West varieties) in the middle of the Prairie. I was
try'n to draw on a wild life program from back in the day when we
had three TV channels (& one of them was French). I guess they
where dealing with West coast Salmon. 8O :lol::lol::lol:
(Sad music & Lorne Green sort of thing)

Thank You.
Ron.