At least one person dead after tour vessel sinks off B.C. Coast

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I keep seeing on T.V. and reading in the news about two other accidents with the same company back in the 1900s. One had two fatalities but on a smaller different boat and the other had no fatalities. I think out of common decency to Jamie, those incidents don't need mentioning as they have absolutely nothing to do with this incident and are in no way a reflection on his character or expertise in the industry. I think he already has more than enough to contend with. Some people can be such A$$holes!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Jameis' whale watching has had 1 other incident. And given that they're touring off the west coast of the island...

The west coast of Vancouver Island has some intense storms and the ocean is...the ocean. Unforgiving and unpredictable.

Survivors are telling of a rogue wave.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That is what I read. Anyway, in that case, the boat was overloaded.
Or a houseboat type affair with wide beam and lots of outside floatation. They are pretty slow moving, though.

they have many rules they must adhere to, same as b.c. ferries, the boat has taken thousands of tourists
along with other boats for many years without incident, but yes, something happened, I would not believe
they were overloaded, that would totally be against the strict rules they have to follow.

Survivors are telling of a rogue wave.

that is possible, all of the crew is alive I believe, they will know exactly what happened,
it will all come out eventually.

these people are very trained and experienced, it isn't some fly by night operation.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well capsizing because of weight redistribution seems like a fairly plausible reason and by the looks of the draft of the boat in that picture, it is also plausible that it capsized for that reason. Shallow narrow boats are prone to capsizing. Just look at canoes and kayaks, for instance. If that is what happened, then the boat was overloaded.

You would think a 20 meter boat would be able to handle 27 people, though, especially in calm waters.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I find it hard to believe itwould capsize from people all moving to one side. That happens all the time when whales are spotted. The vessel is 65' and probably has a capcity of more than 27 people. I would have to guess it was hit broadside by a rogue wave and took on enough water to put the gunwale under.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well capsizing because of weight redistribution seems like a fairly plausible reason and by the looks of the draft of the boat in that picture, it is also plausible that it capsized for that reason. Shallow narrow boats are prone to capsizing. Just look at canoes and kayaks, for instance. If that is what happened, then the boat was overloaded.

You would think a 20 meter boat would be able to handle 27 people, though, especially in calm waters.
Perhaps tour boats that see the weigh shift from side to side as the whales move around should have outriggers like the Polynesian canoes (except it would be both sides) do and then the boat would only tip so far under any condition.

I find it hard to believe itwould capsize from people all moving to one side. That happens all the time when whales are spotted. The vessel is 65' and probably has a capcity of more than 27 people. I would have to guess it was hit broadside by a rogue wave and took on enough water to put the gunwale under.
Or a combination of the two.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

yes, your last statement is correct, this isn't a small operation with careless habits, they are very
responsible, with good knowledge of their boats and exactly what they are doing, and as I stated
before strict rules, same as b.c. ferries must follow.

they haven't and aren't going to be out there with groups of people shifting from side to side in a
boat that could capsize from such movement.

my daughter and son in law both work in tofino, and are aware of the regulations
followed, and know many of the first nations who came to the rescue, as well.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Apparently it got hit by one of them monster waves and everyone moved to one side of the ship.