As If We Needed More Proof. . .

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Huh?

More racist probing?

When you impose sameness you end up with a pretty boring society.

Oh...but you are so right, everyone should conform to one set way of being...that's much less facist. From now on everyone has to be like tamarin! Oh goody...a whole society of racist overgeneralizers who seldom support what they say.

Snfu: a more generous - and honest - interpretation of tamarin's post would be that the argument is that we should all be treated the same under the law. Not that we should all have the same culture.

Your flippant attack smacks of dishonesty.

Pangloss

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
I have to get up earlier than you westerners, think I'll call it a morning.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
See...that's not what I get at all...and based on a number of other things she has said in a number of other threads, I feel that there is an element of truth to my "attack". We can all interpret things that have been said in various posts in a number of ways...that is how I interpret it it and I stand behind it.

I don't believe that anyone is being treated differently under the law. What I do believe is that laws should be challenged. It doesn't mean they will be overturned or changed, but, I feel that in a situation where someone feels that a particular law is infringing on their ability to be who they are, it is a good thing to challenge that. After all, that is how society progresses. If nobody challenged anything, women would probably still not be voting, slavery may still exist...you get the picture.

WilliamAshley

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2006
WATERLOO
Religion is just another form of culture. One that has an origin resting in beleif, rather then a mutually accepted fact, and generally an uncontested and wholely undenied fact is seen as the truth.

So people have beleifs. Religion isn't an issue any more than science is an issue. We get to beleive in what we would like to. The militants be they doctors nurses police or the military or other occupations decide when they will treat you as their subject to enact their will whether wholely consensual or not, based on their veiw.

It is all religion and beleif, but some becomes mainstream religion and others occupational or 'science' or legal or social reasoning.. it is all the same it is just coloured differently especially for monotheistic religions such as the reduced chrstianity or islam etc...

people only make this stuff issued because it often contradicts their beleif and they attempt to leverage it or they are zombies.. or they themselves are physical victims of contradicting opinion on the use of their physical body, or the worlds resources.

the real issue is an objectivist mentalitiy, but in crux, we act in god's will regardless, is it not our belief to act when we enact gods will whether in the name of occupation, common law on orders, it is all our programing, that is the word we received.
If we strip away the onion we are left to act on our convictions as the will of god in good spirit and intent, in the flavour of our belief. Us humans are all the same, some may just not realize it yet.

It's all the same. nothing is wrong, we just need a common purpose, but some religions have that story as well.

Don't deny we are already theyre. We just need to fully hold our beliefs to be true. Hopefully you have no self doubt on the good nature of humanity. Be free spirited and act as the will of god, act for the benifit of the word.

Do what is right, we will.

Last edited:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
this is why I'm against any religion that imposes its will as law.
It stiffles freedom of speach , actions, and rights as in for women.
So to refuse Sharia law in this country is not being racist but defending our rights as one law for all.
There is no questioning of thier law when we are in other country. Some came here to escape such things. We have the right to , our country our laws PERIOD.
Where it offends womens and gay rights I'll be there.
We are advancing as a society, to let this happen is a step backwards.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
So to refuse Sharia law in this country is not being racist but defending our rights as one law for all.
There is no questioning of thier law when we are in other country. Some came here to escape such things. We have the right to , our country our laws PERIOD.
Oh, I agree...however, I DO defend the concept of at least challenging rules and legislations and presenting ideas. I think it was good that at least the concept has been brought up and it had a chance to be debated openly...I think that is progressive. I would vote strongly against parts of it....but at the same time, there may be elements that can be incorporated that are less intrusive on the rights of individuals in this country. Part of being in Canada though is the fact that we do have the freedom to express our different views and opinions. That doesn't mean that we all have to abide by the views and opinions offered. There are alot of hateful views and opinions however that just...suck. They deserved to be treated as fringe concepts. I don't think that refusing sharia law is racist at all, anyway...that's what I want to get back to. I think racism is racist. I think that looking at the idea of sharia law and saying "what do you expect from people like that" (you know, something that paints all the folks with one brush) is racist. I don't think Sharia law is the only issue we have in our society. I look at many of the very right wing, political activist christian groups and feel that they, as well, are promoting scary ideas that infringeupon the rights of women, gays and lesbians, etc. That is worriesome.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Why is their no questioning of their laws if you are in their country??? If I were in another country and felt that people around me were being mistreated, I would speak up...wouldn't you?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
"Why is their no questioning of their laws if you are in their country??? If I were in another country and felt that people around me were being mistreated, I would speak up...wouldn't you?"

Sniffer, more twaddle from you. You are the twaddle-meister! I think we'll send you to China, then Russia, then Syria. My goodness, you shall be earth's first citizen instructing the governors of each country on the nature of their institutions. And, as usual, expecting the Canadian embassy to quickly bail you out before someone extracts your tongue with hot tongs.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
He can be right all he wants but not on my dime. Such protest is the job of politicians not prancing-abroad citizens.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
He can be right all he wants but not on my dime. Such protest is the job of politicians not prancing-abroad citizens.
Um....no, I completely disagree...most changes in our society have come from the grassroots level and it will continue to be so. You are suggesting that people should not stand up and challenge laws, or stand up for their rights? They should just be slaves to the system? Sorry, toots, or dood, or whatever, but welcome to reality. If you want to live in a society where your life is controlled by the government, you go ahead...I'll fight for my rights, thank you very much. In fact, it seems like you would be the perfect candidate for someone to live in a sharia law society...seems to suit you. And, of course, you would wait for the politicians to stand up for you if things got out of hand. Something tells you might be waiting an awful long time.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
You work for change in your own society. If you want change in others you put pressure on your reps. That's part of their job. So when a Canadian delegation goes to China, we expect them to raise the issue of human rights there. And they do. But if you're a tourist there and preaching from a pulpit don't expect much of a congregation. When government thugs arrive, don't insist on a call to our embassy.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta

That's just insane, tamarin.

Doing the right thing is everyone's responsibility. NGOs for example - are you saying that there should be no Doctors Without Borders, Oxfam, volunteer engineers developing sustainable water systems, that sort of thing, tamarin?

If so, you are just plain wrong.

Pangloss

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Oh, I agree...however, I DO defend the concept of at least challenging rules and legislations and presenting ideas. I think it was good that at least the concept has been brought up and it had a chance to be debated openly...I think that is progressive. I would vote strongly against parts of it....but at the same time, there may be elements that can be incorporated that are less intrusive on the rights of individuals in this country. Part of being in Canada though is the fact that we do have the freedom to express our different views and opinions. That doesn't mean that we all have to abide by the views and opinions offered. There are alot of hateful views and opinions however that just...suck. They deserved to be treated as fringe concepts. I don't think that refusing sharia law is racist at all, anyway...that's what I want to get back to. I think racism is racist. I think that looking at the idea of sharia law and saying "what do you expect from people like that" (you know, something that paints all the folks with one brush) is racist. I don't think Sharia law is the only issue we have in our society. I look at many of the very right wing, political activist christian groups and feel that they, as well, are promoting scary ideas that infringeupon the rights of women, gays and lesbians, etc. That is worriesome.
I see what your saying and the thing about arguing is that ideas are exagerated and simplified towards one opinion. But seeing what the Sharia laws is all about would be a good idea to get a clear image.