Are we on the verge of "Super Devaluation" of the US or Canadian Dollar?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Re: Are we on the verge of "Super Devaluation" of the US or Canadian Dollar?

And when that fall happens all hell will break loose! You just know people will panic!

Not me though...:cool:
I have lived so far below the poverty line for so long that I have not noticed the recession. But people have believed in a system they don't understand, that is based on creating wealth out of thin air for so long that, yes, when the bubble bursts, the poop will fly, the fan will throw it and people better know when to duck. Quack, quack!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Any questions regarding the value of the US buck might be helped along by reading such as this:

Cenk Uygur speaks with Senator Bernie Sanders: GOP Budget wants to give top 10% more tax cuts and cut Medicare

Hopefully not coming soon to a Canada near you..................although we seem to like it. The neocon idiot in charge of "the Canada we won't recognize when he's done with it" seems to like it too. Several poxes on their houses. please.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

The first post in this thread is not true. Its a false rumor:
snopes.com: Feds Grant China Eminent Domain

I've been anticipating a currency crisis since 2008 when the US created hundreds of billions out of think air in a process called quantitative easing. Other countries including Canada were forced to follow the US lead or face a rise in the value of Canadian dollar. That in turn has led to competitive QE as the major currencies all devalue their money. That's why base and precious metals appear to have increased in value... relative to the dollar. What has really happened is value of currency has decreased significantly.

Eventually that means inflation.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

The first post in this thread is not true. Its a false rumor:

I've been anticipating a currency crisis since 2008 when the US created hundreds of billions out of think air in a process called quantitative easing. Other countries including Canada were forced to follow the US lead or face a rise in the value of Canadian dollar. That in turn has led to competitive QE as the major currencies all devalue their money. That's why base and precious metals appear to have increased in value... relative to the dollar. What has really happened is value of currency has decreased significantly.

Eventually that means inflation.

The esteemed Beaver of Great Darkness has been predicting a US devaluation for several years now.

What has also happened is the gold wafers me and wifey bought many years ago are now worth 'a bit' more. Everyone said, fie on thee, thee retarded arse, gold will fall..............eeyup. It may, but not for now. $1400/oz. seems a tad high though. Mebee tis time to sell.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

No you misunderstand what is happening N. Its the dollar which is going down. Gold is maintaining its value and therefore its value relative to $US is going up. Just wait, everything is about to get much more expensive. I feel sorry for people on fixed incomes. They will carry the burden of bad decisions made by bankers.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Gave them the 'option', Well they still have to compensate the owner, whomever that may be and really, who cares about who owns mall of America anyway. And I think the property has to go towards public use, not as collateral.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

The OP is based on a rumor, not any news story... It is false. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Canadian dollar hits highest level since 2007, settling at just above $1.04. The dollar is predicted to raise slowly but steadily to reach $1.09 by 2015. The steady rise in the dollar as opposed to fluctuations should have less of an impact on exports and manufacturing, however they will still be adversely affected by the high Canadian dollar. The rise in our dollar was helped by the drop in the value of the American dollar.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I have lived so far below the poverty line for so long that I have not noticed the recession. But people have believed in a system they don't understand, that is based on creating wealth out of thin air for so long that, yes, when the bubble bursts, the poop will fly, the fan will throw it and people better know when to duck. Quack, quack!

You might enjoy this short video:
YouTube - The Impossible Hamster

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

We could be out of this situation so easiliy if we just had our govt control the banks an markets instead of the opposite. Watch the following movie from 3:06:00 to hear the easy solution. I first saw this in a finance class in university and it is very real and very possible.

YouTube - The Money Masters - Full

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc

To start with the United States would not cede anything to anybody and if it were true,
it would be the stuff of television for the next six months. The problem for financial
markets and people the world over is that they have tied a can to each others backside
and we are all in a downward spiral. The American dollar is about to crash as is the
economies of most of the world. China may well produce another trade deficit like last
month and that is not good either. If anyone thinks the recession or threat of a depression
in Canada is over thanks to Harper or anyone else you are fooling yourself. The problems
are just beginning. We didn't solve any problems a couple of years ago we put band aides
on them and the sores are showing through.
As for secret letters and so on, they are the stuff of urban legend and the fascination and
myth without substance. If you want me to believe it show me a copy of the letter and have
the US Administration confirm it. Ain't gonna happen, because its a rumour and nothing more.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

The difference a couple hours can make....

Live rates at 2011.03.28 13:30:00 UTC
1.00 CAD = 6.71710 CNY

Live rates at 2011.03.28 13:34:00 UTC
1.00 USD = 6.56208 CNY

Live rates at 2011.03.28 13:34:00 UTC 1.00 USD = 6.56208 CNY

Mid-market rates: 2011-04-07 12:54 UTC

1.00 CAD =6.82343 CNY Canadian Dollar Chinese Yuan Renminbi

Lets go shopping at the Great Mall of China!

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W

Update:

IMF Bombshell: Age of America nears end.

The International Monetary Fund has just dropped a bombshell, and nobody noticed. For the first time, the international organization has set a date for the moment when the “Age of America” will end and the U.S. economy will be overtaken by that of China. And it’s a lot closer than you may think.

According to the latest IMF official forecasts, China’s economy will surpass that of America in real terms in 2016 — just five years from now. Put that in your calendar.

It provides a painful context for the budget wrangling taking place in Washington right now. It raises enormous questions about what the international security system is going to look like in just a handful of years. And it casts a deepening cloud over both the U.S. dollar and the giant Treasury market, which have been propped up for decades by their privileged status as the liabilities of the world’s hegemonic power.

Full article

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

Will we wake up one morning to find out that the US dollar and possibly our dollar own worthless? If China pulls the plug it seems likely!

US Federal Government Grants EMINENT DOMAIN over US property. Full Article

28-Feb-09 10:46 am

FEDS GRANT EMINENT DOMAIN AS COLLATERAL TO CHINA FOR U.S. DEBTS

BEIJING, China -- Sources at the United States Embassy in Beijing China have just CONFIRMED that the United States of America has tendered to China a written agreement which grants to the People's Republic of China, an option to exercise Eminent Domain within the USA, as collateral for China's continued purchase of US Treasury Notes and existing US Currency reserves.

Why would China pull the plug. As long as we are buying from them they will not try and destabilize our currencies. We still have a very rich and strong middle class. China does not have such a middle class yet (in fact are 10-20 years behind us) that could support their growing economy. When that does happens it might be time to worry about them. I would compare China to the way Japan was in the 1950's.

FALSE
The U.S. government has agreed to allow China to exercise "eminent domain" as collateral for American debt.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc

We will wake up one morning to find the world is broke as there are all kinds of problems
to be tackled but no one has the money to tackle them

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

You would also find the Chinese economy worthless. There is a reason why they do just about anything to undervalue their own currency.