are there "Too Many" Charities theses days?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
short answer to the question.....yes and no..... the number of charities required today, is a direct, and poor, reflection on our society.

Yep, and a direct reflection on our Gov'ts. (3 or 4 levels) and big corporations where there are too many parasites (bureaucrats) syphoning off money that could be put toward better causes. :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Couple of things here, I have given money to World Vision in the past as well. As an
organization we sponsored a program to assist farmers in other lands with getting a
fresh start and it worked well.
People should remember that when charities such as world vision and some others
advertise they are not paying the same advertising rates that would be charged to the
commercial enterprise sector. They are regarded as non profit and there is a special
rate. In some cases I have negotiated two or even three ads for everyone paid for and
the stations right the rest off under their commitment to charity organizations. So if you
were a company for profit you would pay a much higher rate and there is a huge saving.
The other thing that should be noted when they do half or one hour programs under
the charity banner their cost is significantly lower as they are not running in prime time
as stated in the rate card of the stations. Therefore it is a mixture of program fill and a
charitable fee for service.
Don't be wrapped up in the cost of advertising, the amount they pay and the cost per
person calculated is minimal.
As for, are there too many charities? Yes because our economy and the society we
live in is slowly breaking down. The other factor here is that the people who once had
the brain power to overcome their difficulties are thwarted by bureaucracy, lack of
education and a state of personal caring that no longer exists. People in the forties and
fifties, even the sixties would help each other as neighbours and friends to over come
difficulties and assistance was a temporary measure until people got back on their feet.
Today welfare and other programs have become a way of life that inhibits the human
spirit and down sizes peoples expectations of themselves. We have to get the Canadian
Spirit of I can do back in their vocabulary. Self reliance with a helping hand now and then
is OK, but if it becomes a way of life in a few generations it leads to to many charities,
and remember the old saying is still true,,God helps those who help themselves.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Couple of things here, I have given money to World Vision in the past as well. As an
organization we sponsored a program to assist farmers in other lands with getting a
fresh start and it worked well.
People should remember that when charities such as world vision and some others
advertise they are not paying the same advertising rates that would be charged to the
commercial enterprise sector. They are regarded as non profit and there is a special
rate. In some cases I have negotiated two or even three ads for everyone paid for and
the stations right the rest off under their commitment to charity organizations. So if you
were a company for profit you would pay a much higher rate and there is a huge saving.
The other thing that should be noted when they do half or one hour programs under
the charity banner their cost is significantly lower as they are not running in prime time
as stated in the rate card of the stations. Therefore it is a mixture of program fill and a
charitable fee for service.
Don't be wrapped up in the cost of advertising, the amount they pay and the cost per
person calculated is minimal.
As for, are there too many charities? Yes because our economy and the society we
live in is slowly breaking down. The other factor here is that the people who once had
the brain power to overcome their difficulties are thwarted by bureaucracy, lack of
education and a state of personal caring that no longer exists. People in the forties and
fifties, even the sixties would help each other as neighbours and friends to over come
difficulties and assistance was a temporary measure until people got back on their feet.
Today welfare and other programs have become a way of life that inhibits the human
spirit and down sizes peoples expectations of themselves. We have to get the Canadian
Spirit of I can do back in their vocabulary. Self reliance with a helping hand now and then
is OK, but if it becomes a way of life in a few generations it leads to to many charities,
and remember the old saying is still true,,God helps those who help themselves.

That makes sense to me, Damngrumpy, I've never heard World Vision spoken of in uncomplimentary terms until a poster mentioned it here. I'm just positive Alex Trebek would never align himself with anything that's sleazy. :smile:

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Wulfie68 said
“I don't tend to give to out-of-country causes as much because I am a big believer that we need to fix what’s wrong with our own community/country before we start trying to start on other peoples' problems.”
I agree totally, we need to fix the problems in our own country first. (However, some of the ‘out-of-country causes’ may be good ones.)
I’ve given donations to Sally Ann. I like what they do. My parents give to SPCA every year in memory of my husband, which I like. I will not donate to Edmonton Emergency Relief Services ever again. I took a truck load of perfect condition clothes, household items, etc. once to Edmonton Emergency Relief Services. I will not do that again, I had to unload and carry everything into their warehouse, with no help, (I am not a big, strong person and had 3 small boys with me) and they never even said thank you. Is a thank you too much to ask?
WIN House (Women In Need) is another good one.
I have given to UNICEF when the kids brought boxes on Halloween. They didn’t do that this past Halloween.

Anyone in Edmonton heard of or are interested in WIN House/Store??

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Wulfie68 said
“I don't tend to give to out-of-country causes as much because I am a big believer that we need to fix what’s wrong with our own community/country before we start trying to start on other peoples' problems.”
I agree totally, we need to fix the problems in our own country first. (However, some of the ‘out-of-country causes’ may be good ones.)
I’ve given donations to Sally Ann. I like what they do. My parents give to SPCA every year in memory of my husband, which I like. I will not donate to Edmonton Emergency Relief Services ever again. I took a truck load of perfect condition clothes, household items, etc. once to Edmonton Emergency Relief Services. I will not do that again, I had to unload and carry everything into their warehouse, with no help, (I am not a big, strong person and had 3 small boys with me) and they never even said thank you. Is a thank you too much to ask?
WIN House (Women In Need) is another good one.
I have given to UNICEF when the kids brought boxes on Halloween. They didn’t do that this past Halloween.

Anyone in Edmonton heard of or are interested in WIN House/Store??

I agree with the old adage "Charity begins at home", however I think in the world we live in today and given the vast difference between the poor in Canada and the poor in third world countries, I don't think it's a bad idea to send some help overseas. I'm in favour of a 75/25% split. People are people where ever they are and imaginery lines on a map don't mean a hell of a lot. :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Speaking of charities and international help, how does everyone feel about Haiti? It seems that lots of us have given a lot of aid, and yet...it seems that very, very little has been done on the ground in Port au Prince...next to no building of any kind. It rather disgusts me, that so little gets done.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I wonder how many of the charities that received donations for Haiti were in fact registered charities?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Speaking of charities and international help, how does everyone feel about Haiti? It seems that lots of us have given a lot of aid, and yet...it seems that very, very little has been done on the ground in Port au Prince...next to no building of any kind. It rather disgusts me, that so little gets done.

Perhaps if you knew the enormity of their destruction, you might have a less ignorant outlook. I'm not convinced all charity money is put to the best use, but then people do have a choice which charities they contribute to, so if money is squandered they have only themselves to blame. I personally would stick to Salvation Army, Red Cross or World Vision. :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Perhaps if you knew the enormity of their destruction, you might have a less ignorant outlook. I'm not convinced all charity money is put to the best use, but then people do have a choice which charities they contribute to, so if money is squandered they have only themselves to blame. I personally would stick to Salvation Army, Red Cross or World Vision. :smile:

I find your reply to be a little bit ignorant in outlook.

So, I'll skip that, and ask a question: It's been how many months, and how many houses have been built? Why? With billions of dollars in international aid, why are so many people living in tent cities? What is causing the holdup? I'm looking for a serious answer, not an ignorant suggestion that I somehow don't understand the enormity of the destruction. There's no need to start making personal jabs when it was a serious question.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I find your reply to be a little bit ignorant in outlook.

So, I'll skip that, and ask a question: It's been how many months, and how many houses have been built? Why? With billions of dollars in international aid, why are so many people living in tent cities? What is causing the holdup? I'm looking for a serious answer, not an ignorant suggestion that I somehow don't understand the enormity of the destruction. There's no need to start making personal jabs when it was a serious question.

Nothing ignorant about it. New houses would probably be the last step in restitution. How many $billions of dollars would be required just to remove the rubble and replace infrastructure like roads, water systems, sewer systems before new home construction could possibly start?

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just out of curiosity I'm wondering if there is a central agency that tracks donations from the various charities for Haiti and how the money is dispensed from each one?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Chili, no one can give to all charities, and to not give at all, because you can't cover them all and don't want to 'leave one out', is a bogus cop-out meant to salve your own conscience.

Find one that means something to YOU. That's all anyone expects. When someone comes knocking on my door, or phones, I simply say, "I have prechosen charities and give to them, sorry." But I GIVE, I don't just use it as a cop out. They don't badger you or guilt you for not giving to them.

I give to the Lung Association, the Cancer Society, the local food bank, give clothing to Good Will, and throw some extra to Habitat for Humanity when I shop at their ReStore. No one expects more than that just because they exist.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Habitat for Humanity is one we hope to get involved with once this renovation wraps up with the yard being finished this spring. hubby has renovated every place we've ever lived in and has a good grasp of everything from framing, plumbing and electrical, to dry walling, and trim work.