Are Arabs Egyptians? Multiculuturalism Here

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Arabs and Egyptians aren't the same thing. While Arabs in Arabia is about the same thing. Like Russians in Russia, Chinese in China, or the English in England. You can't speak Egyptian but you can speak Arabic.

Pan-Arabism was a force to try to unite all Arabs decades ago, Nasser tried it and failed. We say the Arab world, we don't say the Arab speaking world.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Just to clarify, European French is just as dialectic as Canadian French. Before 1930, the majority of the population of France spoke French as a second-language.

The French language began in France. Where else could it begin? It's regionalisms are not relevant.

Quebec speaks a variation of French because they came second. Quebec got its language from the French speaking people in France. Even if the French spoken in Quebec has always sounded consistently the same across its geographic territory, it still means they speak a variation or dialect because they were the second territory to speak it. French and English in Canada are offshoots of original languages created elsewhere.

Very few languages travel to non-contiguous territories and create political entities like countries, and when they do, their point of origin can't be forgotten.

thatone

Aug 14, 2009
We speak Canadian in Canada In Quebec they speak francophone not french.

Francophone is french from how the old sailors talked mostly gutter talk.

A french person from France gets offended when talking to a person in Quebec and the people of France view people of Quebec the same way as the way white America lokked at the Afro-Americans in the old days.
I smell some resentment towards the French Canadian culture from an angry Torontonian.

I live in Montreal, i've worked in Montreal (serving tourists, many on them from France), and I go to university in Toronto. To say that the French from France get "offended" when talking to a person in Quebec, is incorrect.

I am going to assume you dislike Quebec, thats where this statement comes from, but it's incorrect in many ways. Do you have any proof to support this claim? Cause from the hundreds of French people from France ive served, it's actually the exact opposite from what you've said.

Edit; just read your username, it explains a lot.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Then if it is a race why is their only one? Seems unfair now doesn't it -
Still looking for an opponent. :)

BTW, Egyptian is a "dead" language, related to the Semitic languages. Today, the people of Egypt speak Arabic, mostly. But Egyptian was spoken for over 3000 years and there are people who can speak it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Egyptian isn't a language. Egypt is the name of a country, like Canada, we don't speak Canadian, we speak English.
Go back to school. There are many languages considered dead because they aren't in general use anymore. Egyptian is one of them and it is closely related to the glyphs that the Egyptians used as "written" communication. I guess you missed the anthropology/archeology classes at school, huh?

Ancient Egyptian Language

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Go back to school. There are many languages considered dead because they aren't in general use anymore. Egyptian is one of them and it is closely related to the glyphs that the Egyptians used as "written" communication. I guess you missed the anthropology/archeology classes at school, huh?

Ancient Egyptian Language

That's new age link you posted. They did have some facts there. Yes, there are many dead languages. But I doubt the language the pharaohs spoke the pharaohs called "Egyptian." But you can check for me.

Let's be PC here and worry about some particular words. The PC crowd of chicks doesn't like chicks in corporate communications. Use it and you will be discredited and disparaged. Chick, babe, girl, they all don't mean guy. It is no minor point we don't speak Canadian.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That's new age link you posted. They did have some facts there. Yes, there are many dead languages. But I doubt the language the pharaohs spoke the pharaohs called "Egyptian." But you can check for me.

Let's be PC here and worry about some particular words. The PC crowd of chicks doesn't like chicks in corporate communications. Use it and you will be discredited and disparaged. Chick, babe, girl, they all don't mean guy. It is no minor point we don't speak Canadian.
New age, old age, fat age, skinny age, who cares?

The Ancient Egypt Site

http://i-cias.com/e.o/egyptian_l.htm

Egyptian language -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

I'm not particularly interested in idiomatics, slangs, etc. or in generalizing, but you go right ahead.

Anyway, the term "Arab" encompasses many nationalities including Egyptian these days but historically they were different peoples.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
New age, old age, fat age, skinny age, who cares?

I'm not particularly interested in idiomatics, slangs, etc. or in generalizing, but you go right ahead.

Anyway, the term "Arab" encompasses many nationalities including Egyptian these days but historically they were different peoples.

New age, fat age, no matter? Lazy lazy thinker here.

Ever talk to an Arab for what Arab means? I doubt it means Israeli, Jew, Russian or Chinese. All people, but different people.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Hard to think that the present day Egytpians are descendents of the ancient Pharaohs.

To be quite fair, the same goes for the present day Greeks and Italians as well.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Has anyone successfully figured out how white Europeans or oriental people evolved from Africans? Or is it still a vague hypothesis?