Arctic tensions heat up

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You don't get out much do you.

In one of his final rants, Jr. Bush adamently stated that the Northwest passage was international, not Canadian

You do not read very well do you?

Did you even read what you quoted? I said the US claims it is international territory... the Russians have planted their flag.

Read it again. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Russia plants flag staking claim to Arctic region

Last Updated: Thursday, August 2, 2007 | 12:19 PM ET

CBC News

A mini-submarine dropped a titanium capsule containing a Russian flag on the ocean floor at the North Pole Thursday, in a symbolic claim of the polar region's oil and minerals.
If recognized, the claim would give Russia control of almost half of the Arctic seabed, an area as large as the Prairie provinces that could be abundant in natural resources such as oil and gas.
In this image made from an RTR TV broadcast, a Russian miniature sub is lowered Thursday from a research vessel, moments before diving under the polar ice to drop a capsule holding a Russian flag, staking a symbolic claim to the region's resources.
(RTR Channel/Associated Press)
The region is currently divided among Canada, the United States, Norway, Russia and Denmark. Russia is claiming a larger area, saying that the Arctic seabed and Siberia are linked by the same continental shelf. The UN rejected the claim, citing lack of evidence, but the country is set to resubmit the application in 2009.
The Russians are not the only ones eyeing the Arctic seabed. Denmark hopes to prove that the Lomonosov Ridge is an extension of the Danish territory of Greenland, not Russia.

Canada, meanwhile, plans to spend $7.5 billion to build and operate up to eight Arctic patrol ships in a bid to help protect its sovereignty.
Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay said planting a flag will not change the claim to the region.

"There is no question over Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic. We've made that very clear. We established a long time ago that these are Canadian waters and this is Canadian property," MacKay told CBC News.

"You can't go around the world these days dropping a flag somewhere, this isn't the 14th or 15th century. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow...did you guys give it up already?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
--

Wow...did you guys give it up already?

Are you deliberately being dense?

The North Pole never has been in Canadian water. Canadian territory extends to 12 (or 200 depending on the application) nautical miles off the head of Ellesmere Island ... which is still a long way south of the pole. The Northwest passage, on the other hand, is well within Canadian territory - much like the St Lawrence Seaway without the cement.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
You do not read very well do you?

Did you even read what you quoted? I said the US claims it is international territory... the Russians have planted their flag.

Read it again. :lol:

I said the US claims it is international territory...

and the point being... Canadians (and most of the world) recognize it as Canadian Territorial waters

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Are you deliberately being dense?

The North Pole never has been in Canadian water. Canadian territory extends to 12 (or 200 depending on the application) off the head of Ellesmere Island ... which is still a long way south of the pole. The Northwest passage, on the other hand, is well within Canadian territory - much like the St Lawrence Seaway without the cement.

Well it was a Canadian Minister that said where the Russians planted their flag was Canadian territory. I didn't write the article...plant the flag... or say to the press that it was Canadian territory. Maybe your Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister is dense.

I just find it curious and humorous that the US launches an unmanned probe along the US-Canadian border and some of you go bananas. The Russians send a BOMBER and some of you go on like no biggie.

"Nope... nothing to see here...move along." :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

and the point being... Canadians (and most of the world) recognize it as Canadian Territorial waters

Well first off... one point is that you were wrong again.

Obviously you have not been keeping up with current events then. Why do you think there are two threads going on today about this? Most of the world doesn't think that or else it wouldn't be news worthy now would it?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well it was a Canadian Minister that said where the Russians planted their flag was Canadian territory. I didn't write the article...plant the flag... or say to the press that it was Canadian territory. Maybe your Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister is dense.

I just find it curious and humorous that the US launches an unmanned probe along the US-Canadian border and some of you go bananas. The Russians send a BOMBER and some of you go on like no biggie.

A Canadian government person is much like an American government person. Neither could find left hand with right hand without instructions printed in triplicate.

The bombers aren't a problem. If they meant business, there'd be more - under cover of ICBMs. They're just some Russian noobie on P check. He'll die if he crashes. What have you got to lose in an unmanned drone ... and even American stuff falls from the sky.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Obviously you have not been keeping up with current events then. Why do you think there are two threads going on today about this? Most of the world doesn't think that or else it wouldn't be news worthy now would it?

You must have been hard at work studying up. Two days ago, you didn't even know there was a sea route

Why do you think there are two threads going on today about this? Most of the world doesn't think that or else it wouldn't be news worthy now would it?

Enlighten me. Who is "most of the world"

"newsworthy" to who? "newsworthy" can have the criteria of three headed babies. Is that how you determine what's important?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

I do get tired of trying to keep you focused and correcting your obvious errors

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Once again you are wrong (what is this 1, 2 , 3 times a day?). The Russians planted the flag at the North Pole - International Waters

MOSCOW, Aug. 2 — A Russian expedition descended in a pair of submersible vessels more than two miles under the ice cap on Thursday and deposited a Russian flag on the seabed at the North Pole.

Do they still not teach Geography in the US after grade 8?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why do any of you give a **** if somebody else gets the Arctic oil? You as a Canadian will only get 1/34,000 000th of 1.5% of the resource value.

Is that really worth giving up a son or daughter and hundreds of yout tax dollars a year to protect?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

I would gather it's a Candian response to (the drones) a far more dangerous enemy and bigger threat

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Russians send a BOMBER and some of you go on like no biggie.

One pistol can kill as many people as a bomber. beside you've been sucking in radiation your entire life. USA nuked it's self and parts of the globe over 1500 times. Over 1000 of those dropped their fallout over the mid west which is the food supply for the nation.

You have a 50/50 chance at cancer from past stupidity so either you get bombed in war and go quuickly or die a horrible death from cancer from nuke tests. What is there to worry about?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
The Russians send a BOMBER and some of you go on like no biggie.

One pistol can kill as many people as a bomber. beside you've been sucking in radiation your entire life. USA nuked it's self and parts of the globe over 1500 times. Over 1000 of those dropped their fallout over the mid west which is the food supply for the nation.

You have a 50/50 chance at cancer from past stupidity so either you get bombed in war and go quuickly or die a horrible death from cancer from nuke tests. What is there to worry about?

you've been sucking in radiation your entire life...

That explains alot...

:lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

You asked me who "most of the world" is... same people.

Do you see how easy you make it Tyr! :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Once again you are wrong (what is this 1, 2 , 3 times a day?). The Russians planted the flag at the North Pole - International Waters

MOSCOW, Aug. 2 — A Russian expedition descended in a pair of submersible vessels more than two miles under the ice cap on Thursday and deposited a Russian flag on the seabed at the North Pole.

Do they still not teach Geography in the US after grade 8?

They obviously don't teach geography up in Canada! When the Foreign Affairs Minister of Canada claims the area where the Russians planted the flag as "Canadian property"!

Here is the quote!

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay said planting a flag will not change the claim to the region.

"There is no question over Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic. We've made that very clear. We established a long time ago that these are Canadian waters and this is Canadian property," MacKay told CBC News.

"You can't go around the world these days dropping a flag somewhere, this isn't the 14th or 15th century. "

He's YOUR Leader! :lol:

So simple.