Another six Canadian soldiers dead

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Let's get the hell out of there and let the nation of Afghanistan build itself according to it's own ways, in it's own time. Whether we agree or disagree with how they do things is irrelevant since it is not our country.
Problem is that Afghanistan is where the 9/11 terrorists did their training, so it is relevant to us.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Problem is that Afghanistan is where the 9/11 terrorists did their training, so it is relevant to us.

That by no means ensures how we're dealing with it now is even close to the best possible solution.

eye trouble?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I believe in non-interference when it comes to the development of other countries and societies. Some of their practices can make our (western) blood boil but let's face it... They are not westerners nor do we westerners have the right to impose our idea of what constitutes a proper society on someone else's country.

Actually the farmers are doing better with their opium crops now that they did under the Taliban.... go figure, eh :/

So, you think it is wrong to interfere in Genocide?

If you think its wrong to interfere with the cultures of others, then you agree we should not interfere if the US deals with Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, hell it could nuke half the world and you think thats A-Ok because that is the development of other cultures and societies?

If you think its ok for one person to kill one person, repeated a million times for daring to speak wrong. You must also think its ok for one million people to kill one million people. Hell, would seem like you wouldn't care if deathcamps were opening up, as long as by other societies.

Not me, not my problem. That was a fine motto for Star Trek (non-interference), but that isn't a good motto for reality.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I don't get it..... i really don't...this place is filled with really intelligent posters...hell i'm addicted already....But I can't see how it's plain as day that Canada is doing the right thing here.....If it was decpicable it would not be happening....I mean fingettrouble has it right on with this:

These people may not have asked us to be there initially (remember that it was the Al Qaida and the Taliban that let them train that brought the armies of many countries to Afganistan (under a UN mandate also), but I believe that the world has done a much better job of post war rebuilding planning in Afganistan, than the US has done in Iraq.
When the initial war was one and the Taliban were routed and the Al Qaida base were destroyed, it was the worlds responsibility to stay and assist the Afgan people rebuild.
I believe that the issue is that we need to ensure more countries are prepared to make the sacrifices to assist the Afgan people. France and Germany should be ashamed that they tie the hands of their troops and only put them in certain areas...now that's playing political games...being able to say you are there (even if they are in areas that were originally controlled by the Northern Afgan forces that were fighting the Taliban before this even started and therefore the germans and french are hardly likely to run into any Taliban).

Unfortunatly Iraq was the wrong place to go to, for any reason at this point in time....
If they would have removed Saddam's real power by lifting the sanctions and allow the country to evolve on it's own we would not have this mess....

We had the UN up his tucas looking for WMD's, and that actually was enough to allow things to stay as they were until it evovled..without the threat that was lied about and rammed down our the Amreican people's throats.If that threat became known then the whole affair if taken place, would not have given the fanatical crush the satan folk an ax to use. That ax being that America lied.....Well not america for Amreics proved it's own lie...The bush administration and all his dad's cronies who have each other's hands in one another's pockets....

..But now that the unthinkable happened what are ya going to do....Leave the country to it's own destruction....Iraqui people are not going to find justice at the hand of the people America is tryting to keep at bay...

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Juan, post your ideas about "oil and pipeline" over in the army.ca forums. I can only imagine how the guys who have actually been to Afghanistan will respond to you. I'm smirking already.
I say **** them. What...army dudes are the only people who are ALLOWED to have opinions on this matter? And what are you implying? If you don't agree with the army ****ers, you'd better watch out...is there an implication of violence here? Hmmmmm. Maybe it's a sign that the army has gotten out of control and it's time to get rid of them...:) The army does not control us....we, the people of Canada, control the army.

Dox

Jul 2, 2007
If you don't agree with the army ****ers, you'd better watch out...is there an implication of violence here?

LOL

....anyway,

They've been there. You haven't. Hope that doesn't sound too threatening. Hope that doesn't sound like too much flag-waving bull****. Hope I don't sound like too much of an armchair general neocon :roll:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...They've been there. You haven't...

All the more reason to take the human tendency to rationalize their actions into account. Not only that there's the off-chance their viewpoint just might be a tad insular.

I don't doubt they're doing their best and doing a good job. Bravo rah rah and big whoop. But individual effort, even the entire Canadian military effort, doesn't overshadow the fact the operation as a whole looks to me to be more than just a little out of balance.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I don't doubt they're doing their best and doing a good job. Bravo rah rah and big whoop. But individual effort, even the entire Canadian military effort, doesn't overshadow the fact the operation as a whole looks to me to be more than just a little out of balance.
If you are refering to us being the only ones south apart from air cover, yes the balance is off.

I saw today Hillier talking on that ctv thing with the Owl...oh yeah question period....hey the owl really screwed up his hair with hair dye.......and when asked if they see these news reports he replied ..they got 2 channels. Hockey is over and baseball is on.

something also about them not really concerned with politics and more interested in their shaving a getting ready for the next mission....

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
If you are refering to us being the only ones south apart from air cover, yes the balance is off...

I wasn't aware of that but it doesn't surprise me. :angryfire: That's exactly the sort of thing Harper should have demanded out of NATO before signing the dotted line like the fricking Boy Scout that he is.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I say **** them. What...army dudes are the only people who are ALLOWED to have opinions on this matter? And what are you implying? If you don't agree with the army ****ers, you'd better watch out...is there an implication of violence here? Hmmmmm. Maybe it's a sign that the army has gotten out of control and it's time to get rid of them...:) The army does not control us....we, the people of Canada, control the army.

No, you control the deployment of the army, the each soldier is still a free willed individual with equal as much say as you.

And you have every right to comment on the war, its morality, its costs and if its a good idea.

You have no right to talk about sacrifice (Either way) until you get your ash to a warzone. Hell, most people in the military still have no right to talk either.

Debate the pro's and con's, don't try to manipulate emotions with talk of "sacrifice" (to sway either way). That isn't your right. That right is reserved for the individuals who have had to make those sacrifices or at least risk it. You don't get to talk about it any more than you would have the right to talk about what its like to go through some other ordeal (would you shoot your mouth off about rape?)

This isn't directed at you specifically, just to everyone.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
No, you control the deployment of the army, the each soldier is still a free willed individual with equal as much say as you.

And you have every right to comment on the war, its morality, its costs and if its a good idea.

You have no right to talk about sacrifice (Either way) until you get your ash to a warzone. Hell, most people in the military still have no right to talk either.

Debate the pro's and con's, don't try to manipulate emotions with talk of "sacrifice" (to sway either way). That isn't your right. That right is reserved for the individuals who have had to make those sacrifices or at least risk it. You don't get to talk about it any more than you would have the right to talk about what its like to go through some other ordeal (would you shoot your mouth off about rape?)

This isn't directed at you specifically, just to everyone.
Um...well, i wouldn't shoot my mouth off, but I would discuss rape.

I dunno, I have taught english as a second language to new comers to Canada...most from war torn countries, including Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritria, Afghanistan and Iraq. I have spoke to people who come from these war zones and have been directly affected. It's scary, the stories. I used to work for a vietnamese family. They still hate Americans to the core for the vietnam war. I know a couple guys from Lebanon who fled. They have all come to Canada because their countries were torn apart by war. The stories they can tell are pretty crazy, horrendous...messed up.

War is NOT just about soldiers...in fact, to me, they are the least of my concern. It is the people, the average person, just like you are me that concerns me the most. Both sides are fighting for their ideaologies, while the people caught in the middle are just regular folks trying to survive and get out of the way while these other folks try to blow the living **** out of eachother.

Anyway, that is rather straying as well. I guess the point is, no, I am not in the warzone, but through the volunteer work I have done, the immigrants that I have worked for or with, I have seen the other side of war...what it does to these folks.

I think we ALL have the right to discuss any aspect of war...it is a subject that SHOULD be talked about, analyzed, criticised, scrutinized, etc. War is a horrible thing that should only be waged under the most necessary of situations. Any way we can stop, or prevent a war SHOULD be taken into account. And ALL Canadians should have a say in where the military goes, what role they should play, etc. Every Canadian has a right to their opinion on this matter...this matter that Affects every one of us in one way or another...from our tax dollars being used, to members of our communities coming home in wooden boxes, to people that we know from these countries who are facing the horror of war on their doorsteps, to how we all wish Canada to be seen in the world, to how involved we wish to get with the actions of other countries....ALL Canadians have a right to HAVE views and to express these views...soldiers or not. Putting on a uniform and going overseas does NOT automatically buy one a more important viewpoint.

That's my view on it...I believe this is too important of an issue NOT to openly discuss and share opinions about. I think everyone has a right, and even a responsibility to weigh in on a VERY important issue, no matter WHO they are, or what their opinion may be.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's bad man.....I really think we should have all out war on these pricks...put another 250 thousand on the ground ...ignore pakistan border and iranian border and get the job done.....present situation over there reminds of the damn viet nam war...now i'm not saying that that was a justified war, but they had to warn friggin all the airline companies when sending up fighter planes8O

This is different...the recent bombings in britain are connected...i don't care it all stems from the same cause...these barbaric medievil throw backs wanting to spread their ideals anywhere should be killed or incarcerated for the strict purpose of finding out info on the rest of them....by any means.....

Canada hasn't got another 250,000 men to send to Afghanistan. Your entire military (army, navy and airforce) numbers just 63,000 personnel and 36,500 in reserve.

For comparison, the British Army alone (not the entire British military) numbers 107,730 personnel and has 38,460 in reserve.

So even just the British Army is larger than the entire Canadian military - army, navy and airforce.