Another Example of Yankee Gun Mentality

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
*Looks in toolbox. No crowbar. Hammer might work* Thanks, Estwing.
:D

Oh, that's just great! Now I have to start writing more letters on hammer control. But wait! Before I do that, perhaps we should establish a list of potential dangerous and life-threatening weapons (or items "of interest" that could be used as weapons) so that I can create a series of appropriate form letters and simply insert the "weapon of choice" where applicable.

Then I could commence the mass mailings to our politicians, the news media (they'd eat this up like an anaconda at a pig roast), and all the other movers, shakers, influencers, and assorted ne're-do-wells out there waiting their turn to suck up just a bit more than their share of the hard-earned cash lying so tantalyzingly close and in plain sight at the bottom of the much-used and somewhat tired public trough.

After all, these things will all need to be duly registered, controlled, and...what the hell, TAXED too! After all, we gotta' pay for all those registration forms, people, surpervisors, department heads, section chiefs, deputy cabinet ministers, and other imprtant and critical "administration costs" somehow, right?

Now we're on our way to the long sought-after and somewhat elusive
JUST SOCIETY.
Vive Pierre Trudeau and his everlasting legacy!
(And Gawd help the rest of us!) :canada:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh, that's just great! Now I have to start writing more letters on hammer control. But wait! Before I do that, perhaps we should establish a list of potential dangerous and life-threatening weapons (or items "of interest" that could be used as weapons) so that I can create a series of appropriate form letters and simply insert the "weapon of choice" where applicable.

Then I could commence the mass mailings to our politicians, the news media (they'd eat this up like an anaconda at a pig roast), and all the other movers, shakers, influencers, and assorted ne're-do-wells out there waiting their turn to suck up just a bit more than their share of the hard-earned cash lying so tantalyzingly close and in plain sight at the bottom of the much-used and somewhat tired public trough.

After all, these things will all need to be duly registered, controlled, and...what the hell, TAXED too! After all, we gotta' pay for all those registration forms, people, surpervisors, department heads, section chiefs, deputy cabinet ministers, and other imprtant and critical "administration costs" somehow, right?

JUST SOCIETY.

Too bad you didn't write this about two years ago, it just may have put a stop to thousands of mindless posts on gun control and registration.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just being nosy Coiuntryboy- Do you live on the road between Horsefly and Hendrix Lake.? What't the industry there besides farming, ranching and logging?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

JUST SOCIETY.
Gawd. Lemmee see here, $2+ billion for each registry: kitchen knives, hammers, crowbars, chisels, cleavers, baseball bats, pipe, poisons, rope, autos, motorbikes, semitrucks, delivery vans, buses, choochoos, lumber, etc. That should make the Hypogrits happy.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Gawd. Lemmee see here, $2+ billion for each registry: kitchen knives, hammers, crowbars, chisels, cleavers, baseball bats, pipe, poisons, rope, autos, motorbikes, semitrucks, delivery vans, buses, choochoos, lumber, etc. That should make the Hypogrits happy.

You missed a few...ATVs, snowmobiles, power tools (drills, saws, etc...would need a separate registration system for each one, of course), any ornaments in the house heavier than 1.0 kg, kitchen appliances such as the big mixer on the counter, the toaster, frying pans and other cooking pots and utensils, guitars - electric and acoustic, guitar amplifiers, neck straps for guitars, (yeah, I have guitars but so do lots of people so they're a potential weapon, of course), Barbie & Ken dolls, Kenner Easy-Bake ovens, Aunt Grizelda's knickers & undies (possible choke weapons), ditto for neckties, cuff links (only the sharp ones), floor lamps, table lamps, portable televisions, VCR machines (oops, that's old), DVD players, satellite TV boxes, and ...well, gee, it looks like we've got some work cut out for us here, if we're to do a decent job of protecting society from itself.

Y'know, we'd pretty much have to elect a Liberal or NDP government to get this done right. They are about the only ones that could take on such a gargantuan job and do it thoroughly, without worrying about all that trivial sh*t such as the cost of the undertaking, the actual net impact on society, or even little details such as efficiency. That crap just gets in the way of taking care of, and protecting everyone. From themselves.

Of course, they might have to link up with the Bloc to help out, especially with the bilingual forms required, but the Bloc folks are pretty much focused on the same set of well thought-out and necessary priorities so as to not get in the way of true progress here.

And just think, when all is said and done, we could all sit back and relax because we would no longer be burdened by all these horrifying threats with which we are currently struggling to overcome by ourselves. In fact, if done right and completely, we'd no longer have to think for ourselves. Ahh...Utopia at last!

Just let me know the election date a bit in advance so I can exit the country while my passport is still valid. Granted, it in itself is not a weapon but it could be used to unlock a door and steal something from someone, couldn't it? Close enough...that would fall under the category of a "potential concealed device for doing something bad", or the P.C.D.F.D.S.B.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
A couple of times that I recall ...If I didn't have a firearm while prospecting I might have been dead or at least badly mauled...

How true, DaSleeper. We always had a shotgun with us in camp, as that is where the critters were usually attracted too. I actually had a young bear follow me around for a good part of my traverse one day. Never got too close, never saw Mum anywhere, still it was unnerving to say the least.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
I do disagree........

Ask yourself this question, if...in the same area, someone had purposely driven a large Ford truck into a crowd, killing several....would you expect the American Automobile Association to cancel their annual meeting?????

Of course not.

The howling about the NRA meeting was simply an attempt by anti-gun propagandists to make them "wear" Columbine.....

You're comparing two very different items that are built for very different purposes. Gun are made to kill, automobiles aren't. There's a huge difference between the two, you know that.

Answer my question, Colpy.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You're comparing two very different items that are built for very different purposes. Gun are made to kill, automobiles aren't. There's a huge difference between the two, you know that.

Not intentionally ignoring you, I'm on a string of 12 hour shifts.You and Risus are proving my point.Guns and automobiles are both tools.........both dangerous (automobiles much more so than guns), and both necessary; sometimes for recreational purposes, sometimes for transport (trucks) or defense, or hunting, or police work (either) .......when either is misused, tragedy results. Neither is inherently good, or evil.Yet for some reason you think that the organizations concerned with the legitimate use of both items should behave differently in the case of their misuse........I suggest to you that is because you have a deep-seated bias, a dislike, of firearms, I think you do consider them inherently evil, and therefore the NRA as kind of a satanic cult :)......and that view manifests itself in your shock at the actions of the NRA.I might point out that the NRA spends a vast amount of resources in firearms safety training, has won awards for its program of Eddie Eagle "don't touch" safety traing for children, is the largest trainer of police officers and other professionals in the defensive use of firearms.........and is a positive factor in American society.....With 4 million members....My question to you is, why would you expect them to behave as if they should be ashamed?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Yeah, that arguement is old and stale, and doesn't cut it. There areguns that are manufactured and sold for killing people, (not includingwar), they are bought to kill people, and they kill peopleThat should not happen.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah, that arguement is old and stale, and doesn't cut it. There areguns that are manufactured and sold for killing people, (not includingwar), they are bought to kill people, and they kill peopleThat should not happen.

hmmmm....well, they are capable of killing people.....but huge numbers of firearms are made for hunting (including the shotgun used by Klebold and Harris) and many are made for target shooting.......and other purely recreational purposes.......and the vast majority of other firearms are made for self-defense......Automobiles are extremely dangerous, and in North America, they kill a heck of a lot more people than guns. They are much more dangerous than guns. Much more so.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace

It does cut it. You just say it doesn't because you have no valid argument against it. Guns are made to kill, either it be people or animals. The end result is the same.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
Not intentionally ignoring you, I'm on a string of 12 hour shifts.You and Risus are proving my point.Guns and automobiles are both tools.........both dangerous (automobiles much more so than guns), and both necessary; sometimes for recreational purposes, sometimes for transport (trucks) or defense, or hunting, or police work (either) .......when either is misused, tragedy results. Neither is inherently good, or evil.Yet for some reason you think that the organizations concerned with the legitimate use of both items should behave differently in the case of their misuse........I suggest to you that is because you have a deep-seated bias, a dislike, of firearms, I think you do consider them inherently evil, and therefore the NRA as kind of a satanic cult :)......and that view manifests itself in your shock at the actions of the NRA.I might point out that the NRA spends a vast amount of resources in firearms safety training, has won awards for its program of Eddie Eagle "don't touch" safety traing for children, is the largest trainer of police officers and other professionals in the defensive use of firearms.........and is a positive factor in American society.....With 4 million members....My question to you is, why would you expect them to behave as if they should be ashamed?

So now you're saying that guns are dangerous, but in a previous post, you said that it was two lunatics that did the massacre at Columbine, not guns. So which is it? Exactly how are guns on a even level with trucks for necessaty? Do guns transport goods and services? Do guns keep the infrastructure of our highways and railways up to par? Do guns move the economy along like the bank, agricultural, natural resource, and manufacturing sectors?

Exactly what point of yours am I proving? You say that both guns and trucks are dangerous. But yet is which of the two is built to cause harm and death right out of the box? You say that both result in tragedy when in misuse. Well, duh. Even a spoon or diecast model is dangerous when is used for a purpose other than what they are made for (especially if you intend to use them to harm someone). Guns cause harm and death even when they are used properly let alone being misused. Your argument proves nothing, again. I view the NRA and other pro-gun organizations as evil and satanic? Prove to me where I said that.

The only point you're proving is that you know nothing about me, and very little about anyting else. I dislike firearms? I have a deep-seated dislike of pro-gun organizations and view them as satanic cults? I think guns are evil? Prove to me that I do.

Oh! I still want an answer to my original question, colpy. Answer it.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Oh! I still want an answer to my original question, colpy. Answer it.

Ummm...what was your original question? I'm only guessing that you're wondering how trucks and guns compare as tools. I'm sure Colpy will answer you in due course, or clarify the answer he gave you, but in the meantime, I'll be blunt; While the two have vastly different purposes both can be used by criminals or idiots with disasterous results. Where trucks move goods, guns protect our freedom.

As I said in a previous post guns have been around for over a millennia. There is no way they are going to be un-invented. There is no way of stopping all bad people from getting their hands on them. Banning guns only keeps them out of the hands of good people. France realised the folly of gun control only after some nasties goose-stepped into their country and took it over with little resistance. The reason Switzerland wasn't invaded was because every houshold had at least one government issued firearm, (but probably many more). Germany considered invading, however it would have been suicide trying to invade a country that could mobilize an army of all its male citizens in 24 hours, a formidable force fighting a guerilla war.

Every despot throughout history knows that the way to control the poplualce is to first disarm them. As I said, I'm being more blunt, and most pro gun folks would gag saying that firearms were originally designed to kill, and still are. Why do you think police carry them? They are for defense of self, not you or I. Police are under no legal requirement to step into harm's way to defend us, one of the reasons why the body count was so high at Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Ecole Polythchnique. The other reason was because good people weren't allowed the tools to defend themselves.

Bad people will arm themselves with whatever they can lay their hands on, but the most evil act is for a government to legislate good people to be defenseless willing victims.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So you're saying that because some guns are made to kill animals, they should be banned?

It's simply amazing how these "gun threads" have a such a longevity. Any sane reasonable person should be able to see that it is the CRIMINAL who should be taken off the streets and leave the f*****g guns alone.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Guns are made to protect ones self from tyrannical governments that may decide to make slaves of their subjects and or to protect governments from other governments who want to do the same. Then of course there is hunting, target practice or just plain enjoying a fine piece of work.

As for that car, gun thing, many more people are killed by an automobile yearly than killed by a gun. The manufacture is not to blame for mistakes or destruction done by his products. After all Alfred Nobel inventor of dynamite as well as being a major armaments manufacture, had a peace prize named after him.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
It's simply amazing how these "gun threads" have a such a longevity. Any sane reasonable person should be able to see that it is the CRIMINAL who should be taken off the streets and leave the f*****g guns alone.

DO I SMELL INTOLERANCE HERE?

Yep JLM, you're right. It might not be a matter of sanity though...I think it's more like a case of some people not liking something (or simply thinking a certain way...like "guns are bad and that's that") and then aggressively showing their lack of tolerance for other people's tastes, likes, and dislikes. Of course, they like to preach tolerance themselves, but I guess it only applies selectively.

It's one of the paradoxical things I've always noted about politicians who "lean to the left"...I think they should be free to follow what they believe in, but the same courtesy should be extended to those who don't agree with them. But, all too often they get "rabid" - usually when under pressure or in the heat of the moment - and then things get ugly. And stupid.

...OR MAYBE IT'S JUST ARROGANCE

Mind you, it could be a case of "I'm smarter than you so my opinion counts as being valid and right, and yours does not." That's kind of a Liberal thing, I've noticed. A bit rude, to be sure, but one comes to expect that. After all, just have a look at how their current leader expresses himself during scrums and interviews. Man, if that isn't arrogance, smugness, and superiority, I don't know what is!

BIG GOVERNMENT = BIG SOLUTIONS (?)

And the poor old NDP just wants to "shotgun" (excuse the intended pun there) everything that stands in their way of big government. All guns are bad and should be banned. Does that mean the opinion of the farmer trying to protect his flock just doesn't matter? Or the person who likes to target practise and have a little fun? Sure, the politician might not like guns or might not think a little target practise is actually fun, but why should his/her opinion be imposed over someone else's likes/dislikes? I don't think it's a superior attitude in this case - just intolerance and rudeness, plain and simple.

PEOPLE CAN STILL THINK FOR THEMSELVES (Can't They?)

Of course, I understand why this condition exists. It's based on a belief that society as a whole should be smarter than individuals, when it comes to making important decisions. Good theory, but if you stop and think about it, what makes up a society? People, of course. Would it not make some sense then to allow each of those societal body parts (the people) to think for themselves and live under under societal rules that don't have to spell out every little "don't do this and don't do that" detail? I think that would be known as 'individual freedom' and it's a concept that my father fought for in World War II. And it's one I have always believed in.

THERE IS NO PERFECT SOLUTION

That is pretty much why I can get along with anybody (I have friends who vote NDP and Liberal) but I avoid political discussions when I think there is no point...like, if we believe in two different directions, we might as well agree to disagree and try and get along. Compromise is also a key ingredient of a successful and happy society. In fact, it might be the most important one.

GUNS HAVE A ROLE

And yes, I like guns too. There, I've said it! In fact, I own a whole bunch of them and they have actually saved lives more than once. Well, actually, I saved the lives but the gun figured prominently in the rescues. Rescue from what, you might ask? Well, let's see...shooting a rabid skunk that was about to take a chunk out of a toddler, killing a wolverine that had gotten into someone's house (if you've ever faced one of those, you'd get to appreciate guns in a hurry - and it has to be in a hurry because they can take out your throat in seconds...you don't have a lot of time to stop and think about it!), shooting a bear that was injured, walking on 3 legs, had rotten teeth and couldn't feed itself, and was trying to push in the front window of our house - he would not have made it through the winter on his own so I had to kill him. It's not an easy thing to do because you realize you're taking a life, but at the same time, if one understands a few basics, you know there is no alternative and a decision has to be made, usually in a hurry. There have been many instances like that over the years, and it's all a part of "country living." I've had advice given to me over the years by people who haven't actually lived out in the boonies (city folks) but really...

DO GUN OWNERS ENJOY KILLING THINGS? (I don't think so)

I would rather just limit my shooting to target practise, believe me. I have never met a gun owner who actually enjoys killing anything. Even the hunters I know kill animals for meat and they always seem to treat the animals with respect. I know, some people will yell and scream about why do you have to kill innocent little bambis out there in the forest, but some of those screamers think nothing of dropping in to McD's for a double cheeseburger. Holy crap! They have not been to visit the place where the cows were killed for that burger meat. Now that's torture!

DOWNTOWN IS A DIFFERENT PLACE THAN THE BOONDOCKS

I know it's hard for someone living in a condo in downtown Toronto to relate to something like this (I have lived there myself), but hey, it's a big and diverse country. A federal law isn't always going to work in all parts of the country. I would like nothing better than to carry a handgun around when I'm out working in the bush. Something really effective, like a .44 magnum. If a sick bear attacks me, at least I would have enough time to hold him off while I get the rifle and do the job right. NO, I don't go around blowing away everything that moves...quite the contrary, I have a great deal of respect for nature and wildlife, and I live right in the middle of it.

I CAN'T STAND TO SEE AN ANIMAL SUFFER (Can you?)

There are times when the use of a gun to end a suffering animal's life is a humane thing to do. If you've ever seen a bear hit by a truck and lying in the ditch, crying its eyes out because it has a broken back and is struggling to try and move, you might be thankful that some of us have guns and can end that suffering on the spot. Sure, there are authorities that can do that job, but that might require an hour or two to happen. Why let that poor animal suffer in pain that long? I can't stand it myself. Living in the country often gives one a different perspective on life and death, mainly because you're close to it all the time.

WHAT GOOD IS A MISDIRECTED LAW? (Answer: None)

So, I hope I don't sound "intolerant" here...I'm just trying to point out why some of us appreciate and like having guns around. And, in typical gun owner fashion, I don't for a minute believe that layering more and more legislation on to the books to restrict, register, and otherwise control guns is going to do much to reduce gun-related crimes. CRIMINALS WON'T REGISTER THEIR GUNS! Read that again...CRIMINALS WON'T REGISTER THEIR GUNS!

So, relying on a gun registry to reduce crime would be like pumping up the tires on your car to eliminate that annoying clunk in the engine. You're barking up the wrong tree!