Another Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan,

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Ahh see Unf, I am so strongly against this "mission" that I am on a totally opposite side. I don't believe that a few large north american governments actually have my interests at heart. If I truly thought that was the case (that most of our adventures overseas had the "common man" interests at the heart) then I would possibly be more inclined to rethink my position on Afghanistan as far as the Canadian involvement therein

As it stands, to me the whole thing stinks to high heaven, and as I said if we can't with our technology win the "war" there is NO chance of doing it the "old fashioned" way

With our country in a huge defecit situation we have to cut some expenses, so even in a basic economic sense, not feeling the dramatic urgency of "they hate our freedoms and they'll hit 'us' again" I personally don't see how even the monetary expense can be justified on such an obviously fruitless, nebulous endeavour , much less the human cost

Just my POV tho

I agree with you in principle about the 'frustration' of this war, but if Canada
wants to walk away from being part of NATO, they should do it when they are
not in the middle of a battle, but during a time when Canada is not taking
part in a war such as afghanistan. They agreed to be part of NATO, and
they can't just quit when times are tough, it must be a decision by NATO
members as a group.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
According to 640News

Another Canadian soldier, 30-year-old Cpl. Nicholas Bulger was killed and five others injured in roadside bomb blast in Afghanistan; senior commander escapes unhurt

Another fallen hero thanks to the Conservatives another soldier to be repatriated and another ride on The Highway Of Heroes.

I hope our Prime Minister is enjoying the Calgary Stampede because his combat mission is a lot of bull crap.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Liberals sent us to Afghanistan so if you want to blame somebody you are looking in the wrong direction.

That said, the Libs did a good thing in sending us there. My dad's lodge is in north Edmonton and a lot of the soldiers from the local base are members. To a man, they all believe in being there. My personal feeling on the matter are irrelevant. If the people that have been over there (and are going over there) and are doing the time believe in the cause then who is anybody sitting on the sidelines to argue.

Do we decide to stop fighting crime because a policeman is killed in the line of duty? Do we shut down fire departments because a firefighter dies in the line of duty?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I agree with you in principle about the 'frustration' of this war, but if Canada
wants to walk away from being part of NATO, they should do it when they are
not in the middle of a battle, but during a time when Canada is not taking
part in a war such as afghanistan. They agreed to be part of NATO, and
they can't just quit when times are tough, it must be a decision by NATO
members as a group.

We might ask ourselves what the North Atlantic Treaty Organization has to do with Afghanistan. Could it be that NATO is run by the U.S., and that organization provides in some circles, a layer of respectability for that stupid war.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
We might ask ourselves what the North Atlantic Treaty Organization has to do with Afghanistan. Could it be that NATO is run by the U.S., and that organization provides in some circles, a layer of respectability for that stupid war.

The US was attack on September 11th ergo Canada was attacked on September 11th. Those that attack us were in Afghanistan and Afghanistan would not give them up. The UN (read the entire world) supported the actions taken. While you obviously don't like what happened, it is all reasonably clear if you choose to look at it.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Three more Canadian soldiers die

One from a June 23 incident that died yeasterday and two Canadian soldiers died last night in a helecopter crash while our Prime Minister enjoyed a pancake breakfast at the Calgary Stampede.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah but generally there's a reason behind the conflict, one that can be explained, and usually there's a definable "victory" to be achieved through a course of action (usually referencing the "reason")

Neither of those is offered anymore, it has become "we have to do it cos we are doing it". What we have now is the equivalent of someone smacking their head against the wall day-in day-out with the reasoning that they bumped their head once and they must continue to do the same

I don't care if Donald Duck got us in there, the sitting government is responsible for our continued involvement

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The US was attack on September 11th ergo Canada was attacked on September 11th. Those that attack us were in Afghanistan and Afghanistan would not give them up. The UN (read the entire world) supported the actions taken. While you obviously don't like what happened, it is all reasonably clear if you choose to look at it.
Just what clause in that 'NATO Defense Agreement' says we are obligated to get involved in American domestic terrorist incidents? Seems like all those accused were in the US legally or at least known to be there (invited).
The Taliban were guests in Texas shortly before being made into an evil entity that must be wiped out. They certainly offered to listen to all evidence and then decide if anybody should be handed over for prosecution. None was ever presented so nobody was given up.
Shouldn't our combat troops be patrolling American soil as they seem incapable of protection their own territory?
If the US can train 'goon squads' for use in other Nations then why are they exempt from association with them when they commit mass murder in some Nation?
The US has always used the UN to get it's way on the world stage. What isn't brought into the cold light of day is their back-door negotiations that make sure those Nations support US proposals.... regardless of the fairness.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
The US deserved 9/11. In fact they deserved much worse.

Fukking kock-sukkers then drag us Canadians into their home-made mess.

IM SICK OF HEARING THOSE GODDAM BAG-PIPES!!:angryfire:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Two more Canadians dies today. This time, a helicopter incident. There were three survivors - which makes it appear like the Griffin's load capacity was exceeded.

Question.... Isn't the Griffin a new variant of the Huey?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The US deserved 9/11. In fact they deserved much worse.

Fukking kock-sukkers then drag us Canadians into their home-made mess.

IM SICK OF HEARING THOSE GODDAM BAG-PIPES!!:angryfire:
That's an awesome opinion JBeee. I'm glad me and my fellow Troopers, past, present and future were there and will be there to make sure you're free to have it...;-)

Matthiew

Jul 7, 2009
USA is taking profit from canadian soldiers . Why don't american themselves go alone to do the war in irak and afghanistan . Why do they need french and canadian warriors ? They are responsible of what they do , they love wars so they should let canadian living in peace with other countries . If usa has many ennemies , canada shouldn't do the same mistake .

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
You Canadian `warriors` don`t belong in this US made mess....and if you insist on participating then knock-off with those annoying bag-pipes every time you drag one of your own kind home.

That's an awesome opinion JBeee. I'm glad me and my fellow Troopers, past, present and future were there and will be there to make sure you're free to have it...;-)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
USA is taking profit from canadian soldiers . Why don't american themselves go alone to do the war in irak and afghanistan . Why do they need french and canadian warriors ? They are responsible of what they do , they love wars so they should let canadian living in peace with other countries . If usa has many ennemies , canada shouldn't do the same mistake .
First off, we aren't in Iraq. And friends stick together. I understand that is hard for the self centered folk around these parts to grasp. But that's how honour gets played out.

You Canadian `warriors` don`t belong in this US made mess....and if you insist on participating then knock-off with those annoying bag-pipes every time you drag one of your own kind home.
We will do no such thing. Unlike you and the rest of the morally bankrupt, we feel that retreat is unacceptable. As for the Bagpipes. I wish you didn't hear them so often. But when you do, bow your head and thank whomever you pray to, that that man or woman gave their life for you.

;-)

Matthiew

Jul 7, 2009
But when you do, bow your head and thank whomever you pray to, that that man or woman gave their life for you.
Please remind me why canadians are there ?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Question.... Isn't the Griffin a new variant of the Huey?
\
Yes, it's a variant of the Bell 412, built in Mirabel.

Crew: Three (pilot, co-pilot & flight engineer)
Capacity: 10 troops or 6 stretchers (some sources state maximum 8 passengers)
Length: 17.1 m (56 ft 1 in)
Rotor diameter: 14 m (45 ft 11 in)
Height: 4.6 m (15 ft 1 in)
Max takeoff weight: 5,355 kg (11,900 lb)

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
Oh hell- everytime one of ours falls it's agony. I served in the reserves and my husband stll serves and has been to Afghanistan.

To those who discount our being there and say that we are interfering in a culture, you might want to read the books of Nelofer Pazira. she is an Afghan who came to Canada in her middle/late teens. Was she from the 'ruling class'? Her father had been the son of a carpet merchant (and from what I read not a successful one) who worked his way up to being a doctor. When they escaped it was with nothing and they ended up in Moncton. If you read her 'A Bed of Red Flowers' book, you might get an idea of what has been going on in Afghanistan - not just now, but before the revolution(s).
What we do there? Not a big change to the minds of many people here in Canada, but we've helped build roads ( better to transport crops and safer as it's harder to plant an IED in a paved road - not to mention that the local people who build the roads get pad a going wage and are able to feed their families). Oh - kids go to schools ( they get to expand their minds?1/ SHOCK)!, and men actually take those worthless girl children for lifesaving vaccinations!! Yup - got to be an American plot. AND QUITE FRANKLY, if it IS a plot - well at least kids go to school and get vaccinations from it!!
Whether you want to believe or not - we're doing good there. Maybe not the big - in your face - grab the headlines' good, but we're doing good. And I'd rather stay and do that kind of grass roots good which actually produces results - small maybe, but true results none the less. The people that we've helped remember us because we look them in the face and treat them like human beings - not 'live aid' cases' and it will pay off in the long run - in the better being of these people and in the attitude that they hold toward us.