Another brave and heroic act ....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
A thoughtful post darkbeaver. I think the thing that caught people about that puppy, was that the puppy had nobody to act in it's interest. The three morons who tortured the puppy and the peace of human dreck who threw the puppy over the cliff should all have been dragged to the ground and beaten to within an inch of their lives, maybe several times. I can't express the contempt I have for those who tortured and killed that puppy but my contempt has nothing to do with my feelings for the human victims of war.

I feel like you do and everyone else who has any real feelings. The point I'm making ,and I think you understand it is the puppy has no emotional, national or human baggage therefore it is safe for us the empathize and in that state relieve ourselves of a burden. We are quite rightfully enraged by a senseless brutal act upon a defenceless puppy. At the same time we know and can find footage of thousands of innocent defenceless animals including baby seals and baby chickens and baby calves being destroyed in cruel manners. So intellectually what is different about the puppy and the soldier? And what is gained by our righteous indignity? Is this episode substituting for something else because as I'v said intellectually it is impossible to differentiate this death and those of millions of other animals at human hands? How much does our anthropromorphizing the puppy in this case mask deeper emotions of the day? What does the helpless infant nature of the animal mean to us in this case and not the others?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe what sets the puppy apart from seals and chickens and calves is that nobody wanted to eat it or have it's skin. I know dogs are eaten in some countries. This torturing and killing was a completely useless act that benefited no one. I just happen to be one who likes dogs and their honesty and lack of guile. I can be cheered by thinking there might be a roadside bomb in the future of the dog's killers.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
We have become numb to human pain, misery, death. We have grown weary of the labels cast our way for having thoughts and feelings. We are immune to the images of baby seals and calves. In so many ways, our CNN world has desensitized us. Extremists have silenced us, polarized us, denied us moderation. The puppy? It is innocence. The puppy is trust. The puppy is unconditional love - man's best friend. The puppy-tosser? He's all that's wrong with our world. Why the outrage? It's proof that we're still human.

Woof!

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
We have become numb to human pain, misery, death. We have grown weary of the labels cast our way for having thoughts and feelings. We are immune to the images of baby seals and calves. In so many ways, our CNN world has desensitized us. Extremists have silenced us, polarized us, denied us moderation. The puppy? It is innocence. The puppy is trust. The puppy is unconditional love - man's best friend. The puppy-tosser? He's all that's wrong with our world. Why the outrage? It's proof that we're still human.

Woof!

....oh so very well said.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
DB, once again you nailed it with your pure understanding of human nature. Thank you for putting the right perspective on this. And we think we're so civilized, huh?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The video would not play for me, but judging from the reactions that I have read in this thread it is a good thing that it didn't work.

Total lack of empathy on their part. They say that children that like to torture animals have a good chance to become a sociopath in the future. Maybe that is the case with these two people?