America would never join anything like the EU. Yet they urge Britain to stay

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
You will never leave the EU because you don't have the balls to do it. That being said, you may be fortunate since it appears it is heading towards self implosion anyway.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
America boosted the idea of NAFTA and screwed everyone else
We should opt out and charge for everything we contribute and
sell only refined or finished product we have the resources to do i
I hope the EU collapses and we get back to countries controlling
their own destiny and putting companies one step under government
not above

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
NAFTA made us a lot richer than we would have been without, because of our relatively lower currency. The Americans were the big losers of NAFTA when they lost millions of middle class jobs ... some to us, more to Mexico at the same time that their goods and services were too expensive and uncompetitive to both of us.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You will never leave the EU because you don't have the balls to do it..

I think you'll see the polls are pretty neck and neck at the moment, with around a fifth of voters still undecided. Most of those who are planning on votting one way or the other will probably not change their minds now (I'm definitely voting OUT and won't be changing my mind), so it will be mainly those one in five undecideds who the OUT campaign and the IN campaign will be targetting.

And if, in the next 121 days until polling day, our TV and computer screens keep being filled with images of "refugees" flooding into Europe in their hundreds of thousands, many of whom are trying to get into Britain, then it will very likely sway most of the undecideds into voting OUT, likely winning it for the OUT campaign.

That's why I'm hoping the European refugee crisis keeps lasting into the summer. If it does, then it's likely Britain will vote to exit the EU.

Back to the main topic of the thread:

Obama spoke out for Britain’s continued membership of the EU in an interview with the BBC’s Washington correspondent, Jon Sopel, last year.

John Redwood, who very nearly became British Prime Minister in 1995 when he challenged the then Prime Minister John Major for the Tory leadership (it went to a vote of Tory MPs and more voted for Major than Redwood so Major remained party leader and PM), was duly provoked.

‘If letting foreign countries impose laws on you, levy taxes on you and spend your money is such a good idea,’ he retorted, ‘why doesn’t Obama create an American Union so Mexico can have common borders with the U.S., Cuba can spend U.S. tax on itself and Brazil can impose laws on the U.S. that the U.S. doesn’t want?

‘If he did that to the U.S. and it worked, then he would be in a stronger moral position to lecture us on having common borders with Eastern Europe, having Greece spend our money and having laws the Germans want, but we don’t.’

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Listen you blowhole, try on occasion to exercise some personal critique rather than having others do it for you. You're not comparing apples and apples, you're comparing the UK that is already integrated into the EU rather than the US joining a similar organization, at least show us you have a semblance of critical thought,, although I doubt that is the case.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You're not comparing apples and apples, you're comparing the UK that is already integrated into the EU rather than the US joining a similar organization

If a referendum was held tomorrow asking the Americans would they like to join the EU, I think we know what the overwhelming result of that referendum would be. It would be an overwhelming NO to joining the EU, because they wouldn't want their sovereignty eroded day by day and be slowly subsumed into a burgeoning country, a European susperstate, a United States of Europe. They would like to remain an independent nation and not have most of their laws made by foreign bureaucrats in Brussels. And yet your politicians are begging the British not to leave the EU. It's pathetic.

But your politicians are going to be disappointed. Brexit is on the way.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I rest my case

If a referendum were held tomorrow in America on whether or not America should join the EU, you'd vote against joining the EU. Overwhelmingly so. And yet your politicians are begging the British to remain in the EU, an organisation they themselves wouldn't want America to be in.

I rest my case

As for your argument that Britain is already in the EU but America isn't, this is addressed in the OP:

Perhaps you think my analogy unfair? We are already in the EU, whereas I am suggesting that America joins the — currently fictional — AU. So what? Surely the decision is identical. If the AU/EU is worth joining, then it’s not worth leaving, and vice versa. Perhaps you feel the cultural and economic differences between Seattle and Tegucigalpa are greater than between Manchester and Athens. I don’t agree. Perhaps you think it unrealistic to expect such a big country as America to subsume itself into such an arrangement. Well, Britain is vastly bigger than many very successful, independent countries and has the fifth largest economy in the world. America could expect to boss the AU far more than we get our way in the EU.

Perhaps you think America should be more concerned with building free trade and good relations with people on other continents, rather than the countries that happen to be next door: that is, with China, Russia, Brazil, Europe. In which case, don’t you think the same is true for Britain? Silicon Valley has benefited from a flow of talent from the Indian subcontinent — precisely what we have denied our creative industries here as we struggle to control immigration overall but are not allowed to restrict numbers from one particular landmass.

There is a serious point here. Most Americans I know think Britain would be mad to leave the EU, but that’s because they think the EU is like Nato or Nafta or the Organisation of American States — a club of nations bound by a treaty. They think it is a trading bloc. They do not appreciate that it is a common government, run by a common bureaucracy and answerable to a common court system. Once you explain this, by using the analogy I just used, they get it immediately. They would never join the AU in a million years.

And then pause to consider the irony of America, a country born in rebellion against being governed by others through a democratic deficit, lecturing the British on how we should stay inside the EU. The chairman of Conservatives for Britain, Steve Baker MP, had this to say about John Kerry’s remarks: ‘I refer Mr Kerry to the US Declaration of Independence. We will do peacefully at the ballot box that for which his nation fought a war of bloody insurrection. If the USA must express a view on the UK’s right to the separate and equal status among the nations of the world to which many of us feel entitled, perhaps they might consider whether they wish to discuss their back taxes.’

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Blame the foreign demon and don't take responsibility for your own actions, you joined the EU, suck it up buttercup. If the US is suggesting you stay in the EU, it is surely not to disrupt economic flow, you're just an idiot.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blame the foreign demon and don't take responsibility for your own actions, you joined the EU

And, like all other EU Member States, the public were never asked whether we want to join it or not.

I often wonder how many EU Member States would actually be EU Member States right now if their governments had actually held referenda to let their people decide whether or not they want their country to join the EU.

And the British people would never have been given this referendum now to let us decide whether or not we want to remain in the EU were it not for Ukip. It was a surge in support for Ukip, who have wanted an EU in/out referendum for years, that got the Government running scared and forced Cameron to hold this referendum. We have Mr Farage and Ukip to thank for this great exercise in British democracy (the EU hates democracy).