Allegedly abused Edmonton child to die By Tony Blais, QMI Agency

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Allegedly abused Edmonton child to die

By Tony Blais, QMI Agency

Alberta’s highest court has ruled that a comatose and severely injured child — who was allegedly assaulted and starved by her parents — be taken off life support.
The three-judge panel of the Court of Appeal of Alberta also ordered that either Edmonton police or Edmonton Remand Centre staff arrange to take the parents — who are in custody facing criminal charges in the case — separately to hospital within 24 hours so they can have a final 20-minute visit with their 30-month-old daughter.

A Court of Queen’s Bench judge had ruled Friday that the girl be removed from life support, however lawyers for the parents had been granted a stay of proceedings pending an expedited appeal of the decision.
Immediately after the appeal court ruling Wednesday, the panel rejected a further stay application by the child’s parents pending a further appeal to the Supreme Court.
Justice Frans Slatter noted the child’s medical team had testified further invasive procedures would be required if the girl had to remain on a ventilator and said that nothing could trump what is in the child’s best interests.
Slatter said the panel’s unanimous decision to reject the appeal of the lower court ruling to remove life support was based on the initial judge having proper jurisdiction to hear the case and having not made any legal errors.

He also noted that, while the sanctity of life is sacred, “life is not without end,” and said the medical evidence in the case was that the child would never regain consciousness or have a meaningful existence.
Slatter also pointed out that the lower court ruling would have been the same regardless of the fact the parents are facing criminal charges and that they could possibly face more serious charges if the child is dead.
Outside court, the lawyer for the child’s mother said she would try to contact the Supreme Court on Thursday.
On Friday, Court of Queen’s Bench Justice June Ross issued the decision ordering the life support be stopped.
“I conclude and direct that the recommendation of (the child’s) medical team that she be withdrawn from life-sustaining treatment and provided with palliative care is in (the child’s) best interests and that this course of treatment should be followed,” said Ross in her decision.
Medical experts testified earlier that the girl is paralyzed and in a “persistent vegetative state” and she is completely dependent on a mechanical ventilator and feeding tube for her survival. Doctors also said she is not likely to ever regain consciousness or recover from her “very severe” neurological problems.
The parents argued the judge should leave it up to them and they cannot consent to withdrawing life support due to religious convictions and love for their daughter.
According to court documents, the condition of the child and her twin, who has since recovered, and the injuries they suffered contradict what the parents told officials.
When EMS first responded to the family’s south-side home on May 25, they found both girls had bruising on their heads and faces and the more severely injured child had suffered cardiac arrest and needed resuscitation.
The parents said the twins were hurt when they fell down some stairs they had been playing on with their older brother three days earlier. They also maintained the girls were able to crawl and walk with assistance at the time.
However, “medical evidence suggests that this could not be possible,” according to the court documents.
Pediatrician Dr. Lionel Dibden is quoted in the documents as saying the girls, due to being “profoundly malnourished,” would not have been independently mobile three days prior to their hospital admission.
The report says Dibden also stated that the bruises on the girls were “clearly due to multiple impacts” and he opined that they “cannot be explained by only one event.”
Regarding the alleged malnourishment, the report says the girls’ mom told officials they were born prematurely and her family has a history of twins and low weight.
However, Dibden is quoted saying no metabolic cause for their being underweight was detected and the nutritional condition of the girls was “clearly due to deprivation.”
The couple, who cannot be identified under a publication ban protecting the child, are charged with aggravated assault, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to provide the necessaries of life.

Allegedly abused Edmonton child to die - Canada - Canoe.ca

Such a sad, sad story. I'm glad though that the court prevailed and did not side with the parents. Irrespective of the fact that they are merely accused at this point as there has been no trial, keeping her on life support meant they wouldn't face murder charges. So giving them a say in whether she stayed on life support or not couldn't be anything but self serving. This condition this poor child was in, I sincerely hope these sob's never see the light of day.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Allegedly abused Edmonton child to die

By Tony Blais, QMI Agency

Alberta’s highest court has ruled that a comatose and severely injured child — who was allegedly assaulted and starved by her parents — be taken off life support.
The three-judge panel of the Court of Appeal of Alberta also ordered that either Edmonton police or Edmonton Remand Centre staff arrange to take the parents — who are in custody facing criminal charges in the case — separately to hospital within 24 hours so they can have a final 20-minute visit with their 30-month-old daughter.

A Court of Queen’s Bench judge had ruled Friday that the girl be removed from life support, however lawyers for the parents had been granted a stay of proceedings pending an expedited appeal of the decision.
Immediately after the appeal court ruling Wednesday, the panel rejected a further stay application by the child’s parents pending a further appeal to the Supreme Court.
Justice Frans Slatter noted the child’s medical team had testified further invasive procedures would be required if the girl had to remain on a ventilator and said that nothing could trump what is in the child’s best interests.
Slatter said the panel’s unanimous decision to reject the appeal of the lower court ruling to remove life support was based on the initial judge having proper jurisdiction to hear the case and having not made any legal errors.

He also noted that, while the sanctity of life is sacred, “life is not without end,” and said the medical evidence in the case was that the child would never regain consciousness or have a meaningful existence.
Slatter also pointed out that the lower court ruling would have been the same regardless of the fact the parents are facing criminal charges and that they could possibly face more serious charges if the child is dead.
Outside court, the lawyer for the child’s mother said she would try to contact the Supreme Court on Thursday.
On Friday, Court of Queen’s Bench Justice June Ross issued the decision ordering the life support be stopped.
“I conclude and direct that the recommendation of (the child’s) medical team that she be withdrawn from life-sustaining treatment and provided with palliative care is in (the child’s) best interests and that this course of treatment should be followed,” said Ross in her decision.
Medical experts testified earlier that the girl is paralyzed and in a “persistent vegetative state” and she is completely dependent on a mechanical ventilator and feeding tube for her survival. Doctors also said she is not likely to ever regain consciousness or recover from her “very severe” neurological problems.
The parents argued the judge should leave it up to them and they cannot consent to withdrawing life support due to religious convictions and love for their daughter.
According to court documents, the condition of the child and her twin, who has since recovered, and the injuries they suffered contradict what the parents told officials.
When EMS first responded to the family’s south-side home on May 25, they found both girls had bruising on their heads and faces and the more severely injured child had suffered cardiac arrest and needed resuscitation.
The parents said the twins were hurt when they fell down some stairs they had been playing on with their older brother three days earlier. They also maintained the girls were able to crawl and walk with assistance at the time.
However, “medical evidence suggests that this could not be possible,” according to the court documents.
Pediatrician Dr. Lionel Dibden is quoted in the documents as saying the girls, due to being “profoundly malnourished,” would not have been independently mobile three days prior to their hospital admission.
The report says Dibden also stated that the bruises on the girls were “clearly due to multiple impacts” and he opined that they “cannot be explained by only one event.”
Regarding the alleged malnourishment, the report says the girls’ mom told officials they were born prematurely and her family has a history of twins and low weight.
However, Dibden is quoted saying no metabolic cause for their being underweight was detected and the nutritional condition of the girls was “clearly due to deprivation.”
The couple, who cannot be identified under a publication ban protecting the child, are charged with aggravated assault, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to provide the necessaries of life.

Allegedly abused Edmonton child to die - Canada - Canoe.ca

Such a sad, sad story. I'm glad though that the court prevailed and did not side with the parents. Irrespective of the fact that they are merely accused at this point as there has been no trial, keeping her on life support meant they wouldn't face murder charges. So giving them a say in whether she stayed on life support or not couldn't be anything but self serving. This condition this poor child was in, I sincerely hope these sob's never see the light of day.

They were basing their opposition to removing the child from life support based upon Religious beliefs.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They were basing their opposition to removing the child from life support based upon Religious beliefs.

Yeah I don't buy that for a second. Anyone that would allow, through action or inaction, their own child to be that malnourished is not thinking about their child's immortal soul. They are thinking about their own ass.

JaneBlonde

Nominee Member
Aug 30, 2012
[/Alberta’s highest court has ruled that a comatose and severely injured child — who was allegedly assaulted and starved by her parents — be taken off life support.
QUOTE]

The courts have the right decision....except I feel that the parents gave up any parental rights when they did what they did, and should not be allowed any visitation!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
[/Alberta’s highest court has ruled that a comatose and severely injured child — who was allegedly assaulted and starved by her parents — be taken off life support.
QUOTE]

The courts have the right decision....except I feel that the parents gave up any parental rights when they did what they did, and should not be allowed any visitation!

The ABCoC had to offer visitation rights- If they had specifically denied the parents this right, their decision would have been seen as prejudicial to the parents. There decision would be appealed and then off to the SCOC-
The parents are charged, not convicted.

Think of the difficulties then in prosecuting this case.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

It's beyond shameful that the courts even had to make that decision in the first place. I don't understand why people have children if that's the way they treat them.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
It's beyond shameful that the courts even had to make that decision in the first place. I don't understand why people have children if that's the way they treat them.

CBC revealed in the news today that the parents are of the Muslim faith. So much of this is being kept secret, it makes you wonder if some part of their religion caused them to do this sickening act.. So awful !!

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
An appropriate sentence for the parents would be to cut them off of food, allowing them only water to drink. Let them starve almost to the point of death, then feed them back to a normal level. Repeat this over and over and over again, until they eventually die.

And put the surviving twin up for immediate adoption (along with any other kids they may have).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Having seen the results of this sort of neglect and abuse, I find it doubly distressing. For the two kids I know who survived systematic starvation, beatings, and neglect, even after they were adopted out to the family I got to meet them through, their lives were a constant struggle. The mental deficits caused by their treatment in their formative years will never go away no matter how well loved they were by their new parents. The result is two young adults with serious problems, one who actually will have to spend the rest of his life in remand, locked up, if he's not signed out under someone's direct care. I wish I knew what the cure for incidents like this was.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Would be funny if, when the child dies, the crown prosecutor turns around and charges them with negligence causing death.

Well not HaHa funny and yes that's exactly what they likely will do.

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is a big part of the reason why the parents were so vehemently opposed to taking her off life support. I can't believe that after causing/allowing their young child to go through so much, they all of a sudden are concerned for her life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yep, as SLM said, they will charge them with heftier crimes once the child is taken off life support. personally though, if you've put someone on life support for the rest of their lives, you should be charged as if they had died anyway.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yep, as SLM said, they will charge them with heftier crimes once the child is taken off life support. personally though, if you've put someone on life support for the rest of their lives, you should be charged as if they had died anyway.

Well said. I completely agree.

As I was trying to point out in another thread a few days ago (before it got derailed) about 'rewarding criminals who's victims were fortunate enough not to die, doing enough damage, purposefully through action or inaction to kill someone, should be the deciding factor in the charges. Not whether or not they actually succumb to their injuries.