Alleged police impersonator arrested after pulling over real detective

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Dumb Criminal of the Day:

Alleged police impersonator arrested after pulling over real detective | News.com.au

A LONG Island man faces impersonation charges after police said a driver he pulled over for a traffic stop turned out to be a legitimate detective.

Suffolk County Police said 35-year-old Victor Alfaro-Marquez of Selden was arrested last night (local time), hours after the attempted traffic stop.

Detective William Zambito was driving home from work at about 4.30am when an unmarked car with flashing lights and sirens stopped him. When Detective Zambito told Mr Alfaro-Marquez he was an off-duty officer, police said Mr Alfaro-Marquez fled the scene.

Mr Alfaro-Marquez was arrested at his home. Police recovered two badges, handcuffs, a pellet pistol in a holster and a Drug Enforcement Agency baseball hat and shirt.
He was released on bail on a charge of criminal impersonation.

There was no telephone listing for Mr Alfaro-Marquez in Selden, New York.

I'm trying to figure out why someone would be stupid enough to pull such a stunt...... was he planning on robbing him or just doing it for the fun of it?

Better yet, did he have a legit reason to pull over the detective, such as speeding or reckless driving?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This happens fairly often it seems. I imagine that the fake officer would tell the "speeder" that he would let them off with a warning if they gave a small amount of money or perhaps a favour(you never know...8O). Either that, or he could get some personal information from the person's driver's license when he asked them to hand it over. Needless to say, there are many things he could do in that situation, and none of them would be good.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Alleged police impersonator arrested after pulling over real detective | News.com.au

I'm trying to figure out why someone would be stupid enough to pull such a stunt...... was he planning on robbing him or just doing it for the fun of it?

Better yet, did he have a legit reason to pull over the detective, such as speeding or reckless driving?
[/LEFT]

Hey, it happens closer to home:

Oakville, Ont. — The Canadian Press
Published on Wednesday, Sep. 15, 2010 8:53AM EDT

.Police say a woman posed as an officer, stopped a driver in Oakville, Ont., and demanded a payment for speeding on the spot.

Halton Regional Police say the driver did not have the money, so the suspect accompanied the man to an ATM where he gave the woman an undisclosed amount of cash.

Police say the woman was a passenger in a car that pulled up beside the driver Sunday and ordered him to pull over for speeding.

The woman was not wearing a police uniform but police say her demeanour and questions led the man to believe she was an officer.

When the driver asked her for identification, he was told that was not a requirement.

Police say the suspect was captured on video at the ATM
and
By Claire Brownell, The Ottawa Citizen September 13, 2010

OTTAWA — Police are looking for a male suspect after a cyclist said a man impersonating an officer threatened him with a weapon and handcuffs on the Gatineau Parkway Saturday evening.

"Who knows what this guy could have gotten away with if he did happen to get me in handcuffs," the cyclist said.

The Ottawa cyclist, who does not want to be identified, said he was heading southbound on the parkway near Meech Lake Road at about 7:15 p.m. when a man stood in the road blocking his way. The man was wearing an orange vest, a badge and a black baseball cap, all of which had the word "Marshal" printed on them, the cyclist said.

The cyclist said the man yelled "you're under arrest," and directed him to a nearby parking lot. When he asked why he was under arrest, the man became aggressive and pulled out a weapon that could have been a gun or a stun gun, the cyclist said.

"He took out this (weapon) and pointed it at me and he's got handcuffs and he's going to handcuff me," he said.

The cyclist said the man ordered him to drop to his knees, but he took off on his bike instead. The man gave chase, but the cyclist outpaced him and yelled for help.

Eventually, he attracted the attention of another cyclist who called 911 with him, he said.

The cyclist said the man who threatened him spoke clearly and lucidly and he only started to suspect he wasn't a real officer when he wouldn't give a reason for arresting him.

"His whole outfit and his attitude and his demeanor and everything, it definitely looked authentic."

The cyclist said the man had a grey, four-door sedan parked in the parking lot with a green Kona bicycle on the car's bike rack.

Dominic Gallant, an MRC des Collines spokesman, said Monday the incident was under investigation. Six patrol cars from the RCMP, Gatineau police and the MRC des Collines responded to the 911 call and monitored roads for cars that matched the cyclist's description Saturday evening, but were unable to locate the suspect, he said.

Gallant said investigators checked with local police and veteran officers, but no one had ever heard of a similar incident.

The cyclist expressed concern about other people cycling in the area.

"There's females up there who go riding all the time around dawn," he said. "Don't stop for anybody that has this marshal uniform on."

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

[/LEFT]

A story - Funny a hell -

When i was stationed in Charlottetown - The local reserve unit in Summerside would borrow a vehicle for the base - It was used on the runways so had all the lights, red and more - so after dropping off reservist from all parts of western PEI they would head back to Summerside.

One trip some goof decided to use the lights so he could pass vehicles in front of him - On the light would go - vehicle in front pulls to the side and off they go.

They did this for a while -

Then did it again - flicked the lights on - vehicle pulls over - they pass the vehicle
And much to their surprise it was an RCMP ghost car - well did the crapola ever hit the fan.

I thought is was funny as hell though.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Hey, it happens closer to home:

and

The first incident sounds hinky as hell, and there is NO way I would have done what he did(especially after the woman said she didn't have to show ID, which is total BS. Police must show proper identification if it is asked for.!). I would have driven away and called 911(if I owned a cellphone) as soon as possible. Failing that, I would have driven to a well-populated area and contacted the authorities from there.

The second incident sounds trickier, but again there were a couple of red flags that gave it away. It sounds like the cyclist is lucky that he was able to get away, as he would have been quite vulnerable once the handcuffs got put on.