All things Chomsky

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
Although Toro admitted he was no "Noam" scholar, he was arguing the points you were gleaning from the great and powerful Chomsky.

No, what he was doing was pulling part of Chomsky's writings out of context, then trying to refute them by ignoring all information to the contrary because it is related to larger context of those writings. At the same time he was claiming that argument refuted all of Chomsky's writings by extension.

When that didn't work too well, he tried to make the discussion purely about economics, which is only a small part of Chomsky's work.

It is a tactic that has become very familiar around here, and has been used by the Republican Party since the Moral Majority in the US decided that they would install Reagan as president. The goal is to control any conversation so that they control the points that raised.

Toro

Senate Member
Touchy, touchy Derry. Sorry I've upset your little world here. Next time I show up at a forum, I'll make sure I ask everyone if its okay. I'll send all members my resume, my home address, my birth certificate, SIN, fingerprints, pictures of me every five years, a blood sample, $1,000 and whatever else I need to get your vital approval. Okay?

The point I was trying to make about Chomsky is that he knows little about economics. After all, I thought the title of this thread is "All things Chomsky." I didn't realize the title was "All things Chomsky that Derry approves of". I wasn't trying to divert the debate away from anything else. Rather, it was you. Plus, it was you calling me out about the economy. You complain about others misunderstanding you, yet you seem to have no problems tossing bromides around. Anyone who disagrees with you is, apparently, a "Bush supporter."

But this has become childish, hasn't it?

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
I'm touchy? You're just pissed off because your little game was recognized.

You took something out of context, tried to slip one by, and were called on it.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
$1000 dollars 8O okay time out everybody, the lawnmower is buying, step up to the bar.

Gimme a wiskey. Ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby