Alberta spends $14 million to combat syphilis, STDs

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
Really? I can think of better ways to spend that money, like education, seniors care, etc... My personal opinion on the subject, is that most people who contract an STD (STI) , more than likely deserve it. I personally believe that abstinence is the only 100% solution. If one engages in risky behavior, then they shouldn't be shocked when they catch something, or get someone knocked up? With the explicitness of tv, movies and even song lyrics these days, society seems to say that casual sex is ok, provided one is "Safe". Guess what? "Safe" is a myth, human contact is wrought with peril, and there are ALWAYS consequences. In this day and age, with these diseases running a muck, I cannot understand why people would risk the chance, it isn't worth it, it just doesn't make sense to me.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Sounds to me like you have some sex issues. Do you feel the same way about all infectious diseases or just the ones related to sex? For example, should we also stop treating other infectious diseases like measles and polio?

Consider that a virgin can get an STD during their first sex encounter. A person who is monogamous can get an STD from their partner.

I support trying to reduce and eliminate all infectious diseases, including the ones which spread by sexual contact. You seem to want to encourage the spread of STD's and turn them into a common and serious health problem. That's pretty screwed up, IMO.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's probably because of all those irresponsible christians performing abortions.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Really? I can think of better ways to spend that money, like education, seniors care, etc... My personal opinion on the subject, is that most people who contract an STD (STI) , more than likely deserve it. I personally believe that abstinence is the only 100% solution. If one engages in risky behavior, then they shouldn't be shocked when they catch something, or get someone knocked up? With the explicitness of tv, movies and even song lyrics these days, society seems to say that casual sex is ok, provided one is "Safe". Guess what? "Safe" is a myth, human contact is wrought with peril, and there are ALWAYS consequences. In this day and age, with these diseases running a muck, I cannot understand why people would risk the chance, it isn't worth it, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Good thing the people running the government have a higher IQ than you.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

You think preventing the cost of disease, keeping your tax base healthy, is a poor investment? Based on the fact that you think everyone who contracts STD's deserves them? You're a bit out to lunch.

BTW, STD's are a senior care issue too. Old people don't stop having sex.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Good on the province to combat STD's with the amount of people moving in and out of the province some control or attempt at prevention is a good step in the right direction.

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
I just read that treatment for syphilis is free. What the hell? I one is stupid enough to engage in the behavior that would allow one to contact it, they should pay through the nose for treatment. Joe taxpayer should not be on the hook for this.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I just read that treatment for syphilis is free. What the hell? I one is stupid enough to engage in the behavior that would allow one to contact it, they should pay through the nose for treatment. Joe taxpayer should not be on the hook for this.

You're right.

Same thing should apply to lung cancer. Oh, and heart attacks. And broken hips.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If they taught morals and decency, instead of unrestrained free sex to teenagers, this would not be an issue.

Not only in Alberta, but everywhere.