Alberta coal mine spill heading to N.W.T.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Do tell what finished products are made out of coal?
A bit is used for making steel and the rest for energy. Want to build a coal fired generator or three and export electricity? Then you can figure out how to transport that electricity to market.

BC coal is mainly metallurgical.

Go ahead. Get a warrant for Mother Nature.

And Father Time. Time kills us all, therefore Father Time is a murderer.

Hence the reason that fewer and fewer large companies are willing to spend one thin dime in BC

Actually, I see quite a lot of investment in BC right now. Site C, Kinder Morgan twinning, Enbridge Northern Gateway PIpeline, Terminal 2 upgrade, Prince Rupert Harbour Upgrade, about a dozen large mines and five or six gas plants are currently in the works, to name a few off the top of my head.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Environmental protection order issued for Obed Mountain Mine release | Alberta.ca

An environmental protection order has been issued to Coal Valley Resources Inc. and Sherritt International Corporation for the release of mine wastewater into the environment.

The order requires the development and implementation of several recovery, management and assessment plans, including:

Solids recovery plan;
Short and long-term impact assessment plans;
Wildlife mitigation plan;
Waste management plan;
Mine wastewater management plan; and
Detailed and comprehensive remediation plans.

More at the Alberta website link..

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Environmental protection order issued for Obed Mountain Mine release | Alberta.ca

An environmental protection order has been issued to Coal Valley Resources Inc. and Sherritt International Corporation for the release of mine wastewater into the environment.

The order requires the development and implementation of several recovery, management and assessment plans, including:

Solids recovery plan;
Short and long-term impact assessment plans;
Wildlife mitigation plan;
Waste management plan;
Mine wastewater management plan; and
Detailed and comprehensive remediation plans.

More at the Alberta website link..

To be expected. I would have thought that some of this would have been included in their original environmental permit.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yea and you think there would be a bit more on how to better maintain in the future. Seems too much emphasis on mitigation.