Alanis takes U.S. citizenship

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Alanis takes U.S. cit

It doesn't matter what you think of her music, Jamie...I'm inclined to agree with your appraisal. The fact is that she had a huge album that influenced a lot of people. That gets her a star.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, but I really like female vocalists.

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Re: RE: Alanis takes U.S. cit

It doesn't matter what you think of her music, Jamie...

Is that not what this post is generally about, peoples' opinions of Canadian music?

I'm inclined to agree with your appraisal. The fact is that she had a huge album that influenced a lot of people. That gets her a star.

Good for her, dude. That means there are a lot of people with shitty taste in music, then.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I prefer "always too hot, never too cold, you make the best shot too hot too hold". I would say Blue Rodeo and Sloan make a pretty decent living. In order to make it in the States you have to sell out a bit, which is what Alanis did. When the Barenaked Ladies started doing this silly rapish stuff they broke big in the States. And Avril and Celine? They're manufactured, like Alanis. America likes that kind of stuff. Sloan, Blue Rodeo, 54/40, Gandharvas, they're the real deal, making music they love to play, not looking at the market and seeing what sells to 17 year old girls.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Gonzo said:
In order to make it in the States you have to sell out a bit,

I guess you’re not familiar with music scenes like Thrash, Industrialized and Speed Metal etc?

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Gonzo said:
They're manufactured, like Alanis. America likes that kind of stuff.
More generalizations? That 'type' of music is popular w/ many other people, besides Americans. Ex. Look at all the young little girls influenced by, let's say Britney Spears. You won't find these growing-up-to-fast kids just in America...there are skanky little Britney wanna-bees all over the globe.

I second what Jay said. I, as well as most of the people I know don't listen to top 40 radio. I love some punk, country, bluegrass, psychobilly, country, old rock, raggae, ska, some hip-hop...the list goes on...and hip-hop.

I should mention when the first Alanis song came out, it was alright. It was just hilarious. Most guys were talking about how she was nuts, you know...the 'crazy ex-girlfriend' type of chick. I gotta give her props for that song. LOL. Damn. The 90's were insane.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I should of said American record companies like that kind of stuff. And yes, some great bands do make it in the States. The Pixies are one of the best bands that ever graced the face of the earth. They're from Boston. But today, alot of acts that make it big (Spears big I mean) have to sell out. It's not like the 60's anymore where songwriters made it. Some of Canada's best acts dont regester in the States, but Celine Dion is huge. Today popular music is boring. That must be why reunion tours like the Pixies and Motley Crue are some of the biggest selling tours today. We long for the past when Justin Timberlake wasn't around.

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
That means a Canadian had to "Pledge Alliegence to the Flag of the United States of America"

I confess, that makes me smile. LMFAO. :laughing5:

Anyways, Gonzo, one American band I really love is Alison Krauss and Union Station (Bluegrass). I love them. Great lyrics!! She has one of the most beautiful voices ever!!

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
jamie said:
That means a Canadian had to "Pledge Alliegence to the Flag of the United States of America"

I confess, that makes me smile. LMFAO. :laughing5:

Anyways, Gonzo, one American band I really love is Alison Krauss and Union Station (Bluegrass). I love them. Great lyrics!! She has one of the most beautiful voices ever!!
Excellent taste in music,my friend.I'm told she's as sweet in person as she is on the stage[I even bought her gospel CD!]

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Disco?! :wink: I wasn't even born back then, thinkin' 'bout it. I was born in the *yuck* 80s with ... Madonna in her early years. I grew up with happy hardcore (that is back here in Europe) ... that was very weird music, though I can appreciate it ... than there was R&B for a while, trance... BOYBANDS AND GIRLBANDS! *sick* ... now it's mostly rap, and rock ... I like gothic music as well, but I don't think that is what people have in their minds when they meet me.

Sorry, just had the feeling to give my personal opinion about the music I like. Do continue with what you were doing :wink: