Agency withdraws casting call for CBC show that specified ‘any race except Caucasian’

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Good thing they didn't try to screen out blacks, asians, aboriginals or hispanics. :lol:

lol.... Find the next Anne of Green Gables tv show, and I bet they ask for white girls.

A tv show is a product, they're painting their product the colours they think will sell, and then hoping the public buys.

It's not like it's the news, it's a scripted children's show.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
lol.... Find the next Anne of Green Gables tv show, and I bet they ask for white girls.

A tv show is a product, they're painting their product the colours they think will sell, and then hoping the public buys.

It's not like it's the news, it's a scripted children's show.

I think the very point being made is that you can't have it both ways.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think the very point being made is that you can't have it both ways.

What do you mean you can't have it both ways?

The only point I'm really hearing is that people don't seem to understand that this is how casting calls work. There is a role to be filled, and they're auditioning people who fit it.

And I bet there would be a huge stink if they did ask for white girls.

Casting calls ask for specific types of people all the time.

Note that this casting call is STILL asking for a male. Why is that okay? It's sexism.

It's STILL asking for someone 25-35. Why is that okay? It's ageism.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Please submit if you meet the following criteria:
Male between the age of 23 -25
Any race except black

Really that is how it works eh..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Come on Karrie, this is reality.

You really think casting calls never specify Caucasian actors? Or what they're not looking for?

This to me is right up there with the black councilwoman getting ticked off over the quilt. It's manufactured outrage.

Casting a minority intentionally is not a big deal in a scripted, fictional show. There are plenty of times in casting where they know what they want, and what they don't.

To try to say it's bad 'because if in an imaginary scenario the roles were reversed, someone else would be mad', makes no sense to me.

The current character/host is a white woman, they want a man who's not to fill the role opposite her.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Defending this crap is absurd unless it's a hobby or a lobby.

If it was all righteous, hip and rights-driven, they'd have never taken the ad down.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What other scripted shows do you guy think they should have to scrap their minority casting for? lol.

Sorry, but I don't find it surprising when a fictional show casts a role for a specific 'type'. That's the way tv/movies and acting work.

I suppose you think Michael J Fox would be a poor choice for a Harlem gang member?

People, people, people....The ad specifically states,
..applicants “must be able to carry a tune,” “ability to dance or move well is a bonus,” and should be “not afraid to show a silly side,”....
Saying Caucasians need not apply is just redundant.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I suppose you think Michael J Fox would be a poor choice for a Harlem gang member?

That made me laugh.

Defending this crap is absurd unless it's a hobby or a lobby.

If it was all righteous, hip and rights-driven, they'd have never taken the ad down.

They took the ad down for the same stupid reason that when this quilt goes up, it will have disclaimers about the 'racism' it contains.... they took it down because someone is deliberately twisting the intent behind it to push an agenda.

And like you've pointed out, even though they know they don't want another white character on the show, they will now let white actors waste their time auditioning. Well, actually, actors who've seen this will be smart enough not to bother because they know how the industry fills roles.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In a movie adaptation of your book Mark, would you cast the roles wrong just to save someone's racially sensitive feelings?

This wasn't an ad for an acting part in a movie, it was a show for kids on the CBC.

Apples and oranges, not to exclude banana's grapefruits or pomegranates.

Pretty thin argument Karrie.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
WTF is a Caucasian anyways? An asian with a c*ck? You know who calls me Caucasian--racist Asians. It's true. At the hotel I used to work at the Chinese owners said they had to hire "Caucasians" to work the desk to make it look good, but otherwisr they wouldn't hire any because they are not as smart or hard-working as Asians.

If natives/First Nations/indigenous/aboriginals can change their name every few years and negroes/blacks/Afrian-Americans/people of colour can too, then dammit, I demand to be called white. :lol:
How bout "Spook"?

Could just use a bit of food dye and go for the casting call anyway. They used to do that back when movies first started.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This wasn't an ad for an acting part in a movie, it was a show for kids on the CBC.

Apples and oranges, not to exclude banana's grapefruits or pomegranates.

Pretty thin argument Karrie.

It's a scripted entertainment role, for a tv product.

Just like when they replaced Steve from Blue's Clue's with his brother, I doubt they cast the role for anything other than white.

This isn't CBC news, it's MammaYamma for goodness sake.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The mountainous molehill. A casting company mistakes a production company's request for a cast member. Big deal. The production company should have specified more clearly what it wanted.
Karrie's right, though. By the sounds of it, a few of you wouldn't bitch if the next James Bond movie starred a Chinese dwarf, right? Is there a rule that says Bond has to be played by a white guy? Probably not, but the production company probably wants one and says so when it wants a new actor to play Bond.
Fec-kin funny thread. lol

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It's a scripted entertainment role, for a tv product.

Just like when they replaced Steve from Blue's Clue's with his brother, I doubt they cast the role for anything other than white.

This isn't CBC news, it's MammaYamma for goodness sake.

Why did the applicant have to be non-caucasian? Was he playing the part of everyone who is non-caucasian? Or is there a double standard when it comes to hiring? Can't have two white folks on the same show that would be non-inclusive.

If this Advertisement had stated: Anyone except (insert any other race or female, gay, transgendered,) here there would be human rights lawyers lining up around the block for a piece of the action. And the self righteous horror on the part of the left leaning members would be intolerable as they chanted: RACISM RACISM RACISM.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In the play and eventual movie... Much Ado About Nothing....

I don't think Shakespeare envisioned a guy like Denzel Washington cast in the role as Don Pedro.

By the way it was a fantastic movie!